Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 32

Well the votes are in (and unfortunately a sorry number of them.)

But I can very happy announce f+d+k as DDRC32 winner!

See you all next time.

Well tracking is over. Get voting!

Deadline for votes is 12noon UK time, Tuesday 20th March 2012.

When checking the tracks there did appear to be some residual VST use and no.2 does not use a LPB of 5 so it may be worth bearing this is mind when voting.

Vote Pack: http://www.mediafire.com/?7dndzlyd6dfozzk

Deadline for submissions is 12noon, UK time Thursday 15th March 2012 so a fair bit over a month this time.

Rules:
Tempo: Half of real BPM. LPB=5*
Genre: Any
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None
Additional Rules: Renoise only. All features, functions, DSPs etc of Renoise except for: Draw Tool in Sample Editor & Line-In Device. Rendering selection allowed but please keep patterns used in a named section at the end of the song.**
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. .XRNS file must be submitted! Preferably alongside an audio file (mp3 320kbs preferred.)

*Half tempo, so if you write a 178 DnB track Renoise needs to be set to 89BPM.

**Due to Tempo limits rendering is allowed so you can do sound design, where high speeds are very useful, but please create a section called Rendered Sections at the end of the song with anything that has been rendered and include Automation to set tempo correctly for those parts.

Sample Pack extended compared to normal. Grab it below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3s68jyirb61og5

Hmmm, half tempo? I don’t really know what that means, what if i make a doom/metal/chiptune/classical/techno track? What is half the BPM for that? :P

What’s half tempo of a techno track? HAhahahahHAHAHAHAhahahahaHAHAHA. Something with such a solid 4/4 beat is the EASIEST to work out what the real tempo is!

What speed do you count the beats at? That’s the tempo. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. Although it obviously doesn’t have to be 4/4 time.

Other genres may not be quite as easy but most music it’s not too hard to count the measures. Apart from some noise, advant garde and other abstract stuff.

Hopefully you get the idea, give it a try ;)

A bit confused here as well. Do I make, and finish, a song in whatever bpm I chose and then set it to half? Or do intend to make a song in a certain bpm and change it to half from start? Or do I just make a very slow song?

Half of the real BPM. I know people often track in double, but with LPB=5 the idea is to force you either to use Delay column, or more hopefully to not do so all the time and get some weird grooves coming out.

So DnB/Jungle 170-180 will be 85-90
Techno/Dubtep 130-150 will use 65-75.

Surely you know the REAL BPM of the tracks you write?

I was thinking more like a fusion between all my mentioned genres, not plain techno. So you mean that the beats are supposed to fall on 1st line - 2 and a half line instead of 1st line - 5th line?

If you’re beats on lines 1 and 2.5 (or if that’s where you’re natural counting would be) then you’re tempo would be double what’s stated. That’s what we’re trying to push you towards doing.

Would it be easier to say limit it to Tempo of below 100 even though some people writes tracks of over 200BPM? Lower than 120BPM?

Has nobody made Tap Tempo On Keyboard Tool yet? Fairly sure I’ve seen it in one of the larger MIDI projects (Eg MPE or something.) But I still find it hard to believe any producers don’t know the real tempo of their tracks!

It’s not that i don’t know the real tempo of my track, but i don’t know that before i made the track and then in my opinion it’s too late to fix that.
I could of course shrink the song and half the BPM, but that would probably not sound like i intended.

As an example you could produce the same rythm playing in the same tempo in both 60BPM, 120BPM and 240BPM by only expanding/shrinking the patterns.
It’s fully possible to make a 4/4 techno track at 480BPM and then it wouldn’t be a big challenge to make a techno track at 240BPM.
Maybe there is some effects you produce that sounds better at fast speeds, that could be a reason to make a track that fast.
I like to try to think out of the box and let creativity flow the way it wants and i try not to be too much distracted by common sense.
So for me it would be very much easier if i had some limit on the BPM, but i think i understand approximately what you want us to do so i’ll try that and see how it turns out. :)

A 480BPM techno track would probably turn out to be speedcore ;)

That’s why I didn’t put exact limits on it. You could do a 480Bpm speedcore track, where half is still higher than most people’s tracks are likely to be at at their real tempo, or a 90BPM hip-hop track, which could well be lower at real than many are at half.

I would expect most people to use lower than 120BPM to be using half tempo but it’s not a steadfast limit, use your judgement but more than anything try to have fun!

Aah! I get it!

Now that sounds like fun. Impressive sample pack. Lots of loooong samples in there. 22-Auditrack 22… wtf is that? If you play it fast it sounds like a dog on some kind of drug. :badteeth:

I could tell you where any of the samples came from without searching and checking results against names. I use a little php script to randomly select them from my collection.

I know I have started a tune in the past with the Apocalypse02_41.wav one, was almost tempted to remove it due to that but decided to leave it in there for you guys anyway :)

Can i “enter” with a demo version? I cant render a song, but xrns can be sent. Also, is slicing to new instrument allowed?

PS: If in the future you come up with a idea for a very hard compo, slicing samples to new instruments should be forbidden ( use sample offset instead ), and pattern break should be prohibited also ( I think i know that you meant for people to be more creative with 5 LPB )

Yes you can, good luck! :)

I’m guessing that you can only use samples included in the pack?

Having not participated before I noticed that this was specified in some prior competitions but not this one.

Sorry, yes Provided Samples Only please.

Slice Into New Instrument? Don’t see how slicing (making samples smaller) can help work around the half tempo/lpb=5 thing…

Rendering new samples has been allowed but it explicitly states this is more for shaping individual sounds (if you wanted to try and create a kick sound using the envelopes at half tempo you would struggle, for example.) I hope nobody will use it to create loops at different lpb or higher tempo just to work around the limit which is meant to make the round interesting.

Always working at super-high speed.

I’m interested by those limitations.

I’m in.

I get that, only provided samples, but was curios about slicing. Like, i found parts of Apocalypse02_41.wav, or other samples, that i like, do i need to specifically trigger them with 09xx or can i just lazily copy parts i like into new instrumet slots :>

You can cut up samples as much as you want, either to a new sample or cutting unwanted bits out of the original. Please rename it something that relates to the original sample it came from though.

I think i’m on to something. :P