Dead Dog'S Renoise Competition Round 15

Congratulations in order again to TheBellows

(Anybody else think he’s getting a little too used to hearing that?) Time to step up your game! ;)

1. Uav
  2. Beat Fuhrer
  3. f+d+k
  4. DubKidFlash
  5. Rhowaldt
    6. TheBellows

Time to get voting lads and ladies. You have until 12noon UK time Tuesday 21sty June 2011 to choose your favourite and get your votes in.

Soundcloud set:
http://soundcloud.com/dead-dog-disko/sets/ddrc15

Deadline 12noon UK time Thursday 9th June 2011.

Rules:
Tempo: Any
Genre: Make something dark and creepy, something that gives us chills down our spines
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None
Additional Rules: Renoise only. All features, functions, DSPs etc of Renoise allowed. Any samples at your disposal allowed as long as no copyright infringement take place. Sample pack provided in addition as I know everybody always likes collecting a few new samples ;)
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. Audio file accepted, preferably mp3 at 320kbs; other encodings and rates acceptable. .XRNS submissions also accepted, preferably alongside a audio file but in isolation only (allowing Demo users to join in.) Would be extra nice if people can provide both.
only

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cp1684p7p76dx0a

Thanks kazakore!

Here is what i consider creepy music:

Dark strings, ochestra hits and creepy theremins are some of my favourite horror elements and what about backwards speech or psychotic laughter, that could be very creepy, like the black lodge in Twin Peaks. :panic:
I have some samples i could upload, but the problem is that it’s just from a cdr a friend gave me ages ago, i have no idea if there’s any copyright.

are vst instrument plugins allowed along w/ any samples?

No, samples only.

You could sample a soft synth though, couldn’t you?

The term any samples always leads to confusion. Is an XRNI considered just a bunch of samples? What about samples of VSTis?

My thought was to include everything that would be legal to share/use and that is possible for everyone to load in Renoise without using plugins. ;)

right on, thank you now I have an Idea of where to start. ;)

Very true, as you’re allowed any of your own samples and anything you create using such a method obviously isn’t going to have any copyright… ;)

But if you sample a sampler wich contain sample extracted from an old music in wich an old drum machine was used in wich samples was from an old jazz record ?

I say:

JUST STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT AND MAKE SOME MUSIC!

:P

:P

This ends at Thursday right?
Hope so because i haven’t got time to get goosebumps yet…it was harder than i imagined to make something spooky.
My best try so far is just a white noise with some effects and automations. :P

i’m pretty frustrated because the dj set i played this weekend went pretty crappy (due to space-issues for my laptop and the goddamn venue’s goddamned broken CD-player), and all i keep thinking is ‘i could have stayed at home and work on my DDRC15 submission instead of wasting my time playing music to disinterested audiences on a fucked up setup’ (told you i was frustrated).

i am going to try and get a proper submission in on time, but during the week i’ve got a wife and responsibilities to factor in so i might submit something half-finished or something.

Yeah back to Thursday, as it should be ;)

Good luck with finishing to you and Rhowaldt :)

you should use vinyls :)

hehehe if i would’ve done that i should’ve brought my own players as well, as there are none available in that place.

thinking about the frustration i vented above, to avoid getting this across as an issue which is completely to blame on some external factors, i must add that i had a bad vibe going already before going ‘on stage’, and i probably shouldn’t have smoked that too-strong joint someone offered me. the fact that i was unable to smoothly plug in my headphones prior to the show, was a proper sign that this was not going to go off as well as i expected. also, on booting the laptop, i accidentally booted it into Linux instead of Windows, and some more of that kinda omens happened.
my friends said it sounded cool, but i think they were either being friendly or just not so perfectionist as i am :)

anyway, i have to forget about it. i am currently working on my submission for the contest. it is a great round, again. really love this one, hard as hell to do properly but great fun as always.

Ahah I know that problem, I did a small gig in a boat with my band few years ago, smoked to much before the show, I still don’t know if we played at least one music this evening. Thankfully people did’nt went to see us.

Today i need to get my finger out of my ass and start composing!

i think you are not honoring your side of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

i submitted mine yesterday. it was a bit of a rushed job, but i still like most of the result, and had a lot of fun making it.