DEVs on what you are currently working on? Redux update?

no new feature will come. No core improvement. Yes, sometimes renoise is a pain. But also a really nice software still. and the best tracker we have.

End of discussion. Thread is closed.

Thread was closed already since the answer to the initial question was given in Post #2 :slight_smile:

Yes, Serif looks not bad, but it cannot blow away Adobe, as a professional publishing company we must use it for compatibility reasons (data exchange with the rest of the industry). Another reason is, you can easily find Adobe experts, if you need to employ or exchange people in the team.

On the job I use Adobe, at home I use mostly products of Corel+Smith Micro - and Adobe (the company licence) :-).

Adobe is the most complete software, but also a horror show regarding performance, workflow and memory usage. It’s a mess. I just had to write this!

Renoise on the other hand is lightweight, fast loading and also sexy to look at.

May I post a picture, edited in photoshop, of a cat using a wacom pen while it’s listening at a Audition rendered track made in Renoise on a windows platform through his Senheiser headphones. And notice I avoided mentioning that Glitch 2 is actualy at 50%…

Still in the thread’s subject. Devs. are working on a VR Universal Creation Environment Platform, but with both subscription and one time paid model.

There is a mistake on the webpage: it says “what s New” and then lists a lot of features…

No ? I guess they decide each monday morning what to do next, right ?

Come on !!! Of course they have plans and concepts. And they definitely know what they are working on and what will 100% come next, or 100% won’t come. At least they could tell us that. And if a feature is 50:50 or not safe, they don’t have to tell. But they also could say: we work on this feature xyz, but we’re not sure if it will come.

Let’sremind ourselves what taktik wrote back in May 2013:

Some people here start to get nervous and wonder if we are actually working on a new release or not. Don’t worry, of course we are. Just takes a little bit longer this time.

Can’t give you any details about the final feature set here now though. We do keep the content and status of internal (and alpha) releases private for two good reasons:

first, because the best surprises are those you don’t expect (Renoise releases should be like Christmas), and second, to avoid discussions about features in progress we actually haven’t implemented yet and thus can not make any promises about yet. If we promise that release X.Y will contain feature Z, and it actually can’t be realized or we don’t want to keep it because it turned out to not be what we hoped it could be, this will only result into disappointment on the user side and a lot of stress on our side.

Only thing I can reveal here now is that it will be Renoise 3.0 and its new features probably will be a bit unexpected for many. We took the time to experiment with a few things. Revised them a lot. Thrown away large parts of it again because we haven’t been fully happy with them, and partly started from scratch.

Some of those features also required rewriting large parts of the codebase; with Renoise getting bigger and more complex internally, new features also will take longer to realize with every new release. And hey, we’re a small team too. We don’t have a big bunch of people working off feature after feature and actuall also don’t want to work this way.

So please be a little bit patient. Next news will be the official beta announcement for 3.0. Also can’t promise when exactly this will be. It’s ready when it’s ready. And it’s ready, when we are happy with it and not because some financial department says that it has to be ready. That’s a very luxury way of working but I hope also a way of working many of you can acknowledge.

So, stay tuned. In the meanwhile, enjoy Renoise 2.8 wink.gif

Source: https://forum.renoise.com/t/some-news-about-the-upcoming-renoise-release/38691

*) The underscores andbolds were added here by me to further highlight certain aspects of this message.

Now taktik is pretty clear here in his communication IMO. The way the devs work is to experiment , revise , throw away large parts, partly starting from scratch again, rewriting large parts of the codebase, etc. And they wish to avoid discussions about features and concepts because of the way they need to work: if something is started and later down the road decided to be thrown away, it will result in a lot of stress for the devs ifany previous informationabout those features and concepts is still livinga life on its own among the users. They are notworking off feature after feature and also don’t want to work this way. Also they don’t want to establish deadlines when something needs to beready (i.e. time scheduled roadmaps), they’ll have something ready when it’s realizedin a waythey’re happy with.

So there you have it. Couldn’t be any clearer.

May I post a picture, edited in photoshop, of a cat using a wacom pen while it’s listening at a Audition rendered track made in Renoise on a windows platform through his Senheiser headphones. And notice I avoided mentioning that Glitch 2 is actualy at 50%…

Still in the thread’s subject. Devs. are working on a VR Universal Creation Environment Platform, but with both subscription and one time paid model.

No, you need to edit it in GIMP, using an oldschool rubber ball mouse on sand, make it in screamtracker 3 and render it in Audacity on Linux and listen through PC speaker. You don’t need glitch 2, because you do it all on an old pentium 1 and system is already glitchy as hell.

I’ll just leave my video here… And if someone still thinking that everything fine with Renoise… OoooKkkkkk…

https://youtu.be/zXJGQqQWszo

I fully agree that the automation envelopes in Renoise are really weak and time consuming. Especially at pattern borders it’s a pita to set envelope points. Also there’s only one automation lane editable. You can’t see the other lanes in relation to the lane which is edited. A major drawback. And not consistent, because multiple tracks and notes are visible, but not the automation data. In Bitwig it’s similar like in Reaper ! And then we haven’t talked about envelope recording. E.g. for the faderport: in Reaper they provide an undo feature. In Renoise there still isn’t.

Bitwig can do this, too.

MrW5mUX.gif

Bit wig is the new Renoise! Only missing: The tracker view. Let’s flood the bitwig forum now with this feature request?

Bit wig is the new Renoise! Only missing: The tracker view. Let’s flood the bitwig forum now with this feature request?

You could use Redux for that ^^. I’m pretty sure that Bitwig won’t implement a tracker view. They copied a lot of other things from Renoise, though.

This topic is getting really weird.

To answer the original topic’s question:

We’re doing little work on Renoise right now, mainly small clean-ups and bug fixing and have started some other project a while ago too. That we’re doing something else doesn’t mean that Renoise is dead. I think it will benefit Renoise and Co in the long term. We always have been working on/off Renoise in the past.

If Renoise or Redux is worth the money should be decided by what it is, and not what it could be.

We’re actually a tiny team. Some of you may not be aware of this:

• DBlue is taking care of E-Mail and other Renoise related support things

• Danoise is doing extra graphical/web/conceptional stuff and XRNX tooling

• I’m the only active developer for Renoise - always have been the main dev. We used to be max 2 “full time” coders for a while, but since a few years it’s just me again.

We’re doing meetings every now and then in a small office in Berlin.

There are many more people around that like Duncan, Paul, SatoBox and others, doing sometimes more and sometimes less work for Renoise - payed or for the fun of it - but there’s definitely no big stack of “coders” waiting to implement this and that feature as planed and tracked by some other guys.

There are also no plans to change this: Renoise is a niche product in a niche market. Trackers never will be THE way of doing music. And honestly, they should not: they make a lot of sense to some, none at all to most. Adding a piano-roll on top won’t fix that. Making Renoise open-source also won’t fix this: this would simply create a new bunch of other problems.

I do get that many of you here are getting more and more frustrated because “their” THE MISSING feature isn’t implemented - after all those years. But we really never will be able to fix that under those circumstances.

Redux actually was an idea to fix this problem once for all, by bringing the core of a tracker into “your” other DAW of your choice, so that you can use all the other features you always wanted, but no tracker.

This wasn’t meant as an excuse to NOT implement this and that feature into Renoise, but we know how much time it takes us to bring new stuff into Renoise, so that was meant as an offer to be more free in the choice of tools that you can !now! use and combine. Hard to say if that plan really worked out at the end. But that brought phrases into Renoise too - which surely makes things more complicated in Renoise itself but also offers a big bunch of even more nerdy tracker alike things again into Renoise again.

I do understand though, that the lack of information is causing such threads too:

If it helps to write more “what’s currently happening here” blog or forum posts, we will try doing that in future. Right now there’s not much happening though.

PS: @Andrey Marchenko: What are you currently working on? Will our work on Renoise and Redux be well spent? :wink:

Oh, and we should fix:http://www.renoise.com/who-are-we

That’s a list of people who have dome something for Renoise in the past (credits) and not a “who is behind Renoise”. The Renoise office is not filling up an entire building in Berlin.

You could use Redux for that ^^. I’m pretty sure that Bitwig won’t implement a tracker view. They copied a lot of other things from Renoise, though.

Yes true. Ah only redux would have to be a midi out plugin for me, not a sample mangler. Ok, still for using some renoise instruments it’s nice to have, but mostly I use synths. Maybe I really should try rewire?

Oh, and we should fix:http://www.renoise.com/who-are-we

That’s a list of people who have dome something for Renoise in the past (credits) and not a “who is behind Renoise”. The Renoise office is not filling up an entire building in Berlin.

Reality check acknowledged.

The dream of Renoise is alive in Portland.

Good times.

Renoise is a niche product in a niche market. Trackers never will be THE way of doing music. And honestly, they should not: they make a lot of sense to some, none at all to most.

I really hope people take this on board

THANKS taktik ! Even if I don’t like to hear that Renoise is not in focus, I appreciate your information and that you clarified things. No more guessing. The facts are there, now.

I also think that Renoise as a tracker is not designed for the mass market and will be a niche product. Nonetheless it already adopted many features which are standard in the mass market and thus became a much more attractive piece of DAW software. I really hope this journey will continue. Right now I’m testing bitwig and my impression is, that they copied many good things from Renoise and Ableton. So they learned from Renoise, and Renoise devs can be proud that their product served as a model. On the other hand we all learn from each other. So Renoise could also learn from bitwig and other DAW’s.

However, looking back in this thread and before I was not always nice and it’s true: often not very encouraging and hard critizing. Therefore, I want to apologize if that was overall too negative. I appreciate that you and your team developed Renoise over all those years. It worked always rock solid, an overall awesome piece of software, and is still the best tracker on the market. The LUA API is overall awesome and well done, too. Thank you for that. Only thing is, that even the best tracker in the world needs progress. I’m curious what the future and your new product will bring.

Merry Christmas and peace

E.g. because features like wav tracks were “kind of” announced. Also with the the introduction of 2.8 or 3.0 there was talk that this version(s) would lay the ground for later things like wav tracks. I’m granted updates till 4.0 and I wait for features like this for a long time now. I feel tricked and I’m really disappointed about it.

I can’t remember any promise that we will get wave tracks in any specific update? It wouldn’t make sense if they promised something like that because they never announce future features. The talk that this version would lay the ground for later stuff was all about taktik rewriting much of the code from ground up if i’m not mistaking. The whole instrument section was totally refurbished, you remember how much it actually has improved since 2.8 don’t you?

Reaper provides monthly updates and always worked for me rock solid. It’s possible to deliver frequent updates without breaking things.

When did Renoise become Reaper? If Reaper is so rock solid, then why does it need to be updated monthly? What kind of updates are we talking about?
Reaper is a rather new project, it would make sence if the frequency of updates would naturally lower with age.
Renoise is a project that does its own thing, while Reaper seem to build on stuff that has already been done. It’s not a tracker, it’s not based on ticks per line and they might also have less complex code to work with, i don’t know, but i kinda have a hunch that the codes looks entirely different from a programmers point of view. This is of course only speculation from me as i really don’t have a clue about these kind of stuff and i have never even used Reaper.

Totally untrue ! Problem is, that for certain questions they don’t give ANY answers. They could answer those questions with simple news blogs, faqs whatever. But they don’t. And thus we have threads like this.

They did actually, but just not the answers you want…and probably a lot less frequently than you want.

Also wrong. I need a car without fancy stuff. I need bread and butter features,without rear view cameras and that stuff. But they added it ! All I wanted was more bread and butter, but they gave me the vanguard menu ;-).

So what you’re saying is that when you buy a new car they will continue to upgrade it and do service on it for free for several years to come? Change oil, wash it, change wipers, refill wiper fluid, change tires…the usual bread and butter?

The silence and absence of the Renoise team causes negativity. I’m on board here since 2008 and also have contributed some things. In contrast to the Renoise team I never took or earned a cent for my work. But they just ignore many volunteer people like me. And how comes you know my age ? I probably could be your father, mate !

If you could be my father you must be quite old. I’m actually about the same age as the devs here. I first registered in 2005 i believe, not very active on forum that time though, but i started using Renoise in 2004 or 2005. Since then, many requests has been realized and many has not. They have never been very open about the releases and i don’t expect this to change all of a sudden. They’ve had periods with much more frequent updates and bug fixes and such, and yes i do miss those times in a way, but honestly i sometimes had a hard time keeping up with all the changes. Both releases 3.0 and 3.1 has to me been the best releases ever, they have really expanded my creative freedom. I understand that you feel differently, but you shouldn’t go around and think that everything evolves around you. Lots of decisions have been taken to make something they believe in and it’s not possible to realize everyones dream.

There’s a reason why people complain. It doesn’t help to play things down again and again. The communication method of the Renoise team (radio silence) is not satisfying. And as long as they stubbornly follow this route, there will be problems and complains and not “happy clappy”. Why is that so difficult to understand ?

There’s a reason for everything. Their communication method is excellent, all the times i have communicated with any of the devs they have handled it very politely and helpful. The lack of communication out to the general public could have been better though, but i don’t really blame the guys. People have different personalities and abilities and as taktik just stated they’re 4 guys taking care of everything.

We could probably quote each other and argue into eternity, but i doubt anyone of us will get much out of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like a small gesture can make a big difference though:

THANKS taktik ! Even if I don’t like to hear that Renoise is not in focus, I appreciate your information and that you clarified things. No more guessing. The facts are there, now.

I also think that Renoise as a tracker is not designed for the mass market and will be a niche product. Nonetheless it already adopted many features which are standard in the mass market and thus became a much more attractive piece of DAW software. I really hope this journey will continue. Right now I’m testing bitwig and my impression is, that they copied many good things from Renoise and Ableton. So they learned from Renoise, and Renoise devs can be proud that their product served as a model. On the other hand we all learn from each other. So Renoise could also learn from bitwig and other DAW’s.

However, looking back in this thread and behind I was not always nice and it’s true: often not very encouraging and hard critizing. Therefore, I want to apologize if that was overall too negative. I appreciate that you and your team developed Renoise over all those years. It worked always rock solid, an overall awesome piece of software, and is still the best tracker on the market. The LUA API is overall awesome and well done, too. Thank you for that. Only thing is, that even the best tracker in the world needs progress. I’m curious what the future and your new product will bring.

Merry Christmas and peace

:slight_smile:

I hope for a great future for Renoise and wish you all a happy Christmas!

This topic is getting really weird.

To answer the original topic’s question:

We’re doing…

Thanks.