DEVs on what you are currently working on? Redux update?

Fsus4, I don’t expect the devs to be social workers here in the forum. They don’t have to give answers to each and everybody, and don’t have to care for all things. The origin question of this thread was “devs what are you working on ?”. Additional questions would be “devs is feature X,Y,Z on or not on the list the next year / next two year ?”. Or “will the Script API support UNDO behaviour in the next release ?”, Or “when will we receive the next bugfix version ?”. Etc…

They could answer all of this questions without risk. They could publish it on the homepage. They wouldn’t loose time. No big can of worms. And a lot of discussions and speculations would come to an end. And people could better decide if it’s worth to wait, or better look for another solution / DAW . That would be much better than the current situation.

Butthey probably can’t answer if features XYZ are on the list for the next two years. They probably don’t even have such a roadmap and an yearlytodo list where they work off feature after feature. Heck, even the renoise.com domain isn’t registerered forseveral years ahead, it expires in a few months and needs to be renewed.

Butthey probably can’t answer if features XYZ are on the list for the next two years. They probably don’t even have such a roadmap and an yearlytodo list where they work off feature after feature. Heck, even the renoise.com domain isn’t registerered forseveral years ahead, it expires in a few months and needs to be renewed.

No ? I guess they decide each monday morning what to do next, right ?

Come on !!! Of course they have plans and concepts. And they definitely know what they are working on and what will 100% come next, or 100% won’t come. At least they could tell us that. And if a feature is 50:50 or not safe, they don’t have to tell. But they also could say: we work on this feature xyz, but we’re not sure if it will come.

But they told us now: There will be no changes for Renoise for about the next whole year or even longer. Only a bugfix release will come and you can read in the forum, what was fixed. I except that bugfix release in march 2017. So accept it and save your energy now. Better to know nothing will come than to know simply nothing. They are working on something not Renoise and Redux related. Maybe it’s not even audio related. Maybe it’s a synth? Nah… :slight_smile: Maybe the Renoise fx as VST? I would guess the last one. Would make sense, and “Renoise maybe will profit from it later”.

Come on !!! Of course they have plans and concepts. And they definitely know what they are working on and what will 100% come next, or 100% won’t come. At least they could tell us that. And if a feature is 50:50 or not safe, they don’t have to tell. But they also could say: we work on this feature xyz, but we’re not sure if it will come.

I agree. “Afraid to disappoint” users is of course not the real issue here. It’s a matter of communication.

But, with the risk of being repetitive;

The “customer-ethic” matter aside, they really don’t have to do this since their business plan works anyway. This is due to lack of worthy rivals. So… It’s up to us to either accept the circumstances or crowdfund a new similar DAW.

But they told us now: There will be no changes for Renoise for about the next whole year or even longer. Only a bugfix release will come and you can read in the forum, what was fixed. I except that bugfix release in march 2017. So accept it and save your energy now. Better to know nothing will come than to know simply nothing. They are working on something not Renoise and Redux related. Maybe it’s not even audio related. Maybe it’s a synth? Nah… :slight_smile: Maybe the Renoise fx as VST? I would guess the last one. Would make sense, and “Renoise maybe will profit from it later”.

If I’m not mistaken, the reason the criticismis popping up now and then is due to lack of official statements. Meaning, the lack of frequent website news / blog posts. It’s not generally expected that everyone that buy the software will delve themselves into each topic in the forum for important status reports.

Moreover, if there won’t be much more work with Renoise, then I suppose we could say that the criticism / statements from various users that Renoise is dead is at least semi-correct. Let’s be real, even for a niche company with an unique feature, a small bugfix over a whole year indicates that Renoise has a major downpriority.

Then, about that little comment in the forum of something that “could benefit Renoise / Redux”. That’s just some vague talk that could be interpreted in different ways. Sure, positive attitude is a winning concept, like you have and I don’t blame you. But to me it just sounds sketchy.

I’m also happy with both Renoise & Redux together with Logic. No solution is exactly great though. I just don’t wanna wait another 10 years for some features. Life is short and I hope there will be some solution, and I’m open to whatever that is. Whether it be some suprise Renoise announcements or some news for a new similar software with more enthusiastic developers.

Good topic but strange content…

I’m absolutely satisfied with Renoise as it is, even if NOTHING changes and it stays as it is. Sure, there is a wishlist and I also mentioned sometime some improvements I’d love to see but that is nothing dramatic not to have them yet cuz Renoise is unique and neardy, freaky and awesome as it already is. It is something different and I love different things. A tool for audio freaks and sound designers. I do not really need anything else than being able to update to future OS.

I’ll just leave my video here… And if someone still thinking that everything fine with Renoise… OoooKkkkkk…

I’ll just leave my video here… And if someone still thinking that everything fine with Renoise… OoooKkkkkk…

A.) Are you implying that “everything is fine” with Reaper? … It doesn’t have a chord track like Cubase, so how can it be fine? (or a pattern editor like Renoise, for that matter).

B.) This topic seem to prove that taktik would be sensible to stick to the nothing-to-tell policy. It’s obvious that people will not be more satisfied the more information that is given, and a public roadmap would most likely stir up havoc on the forums :slight_smile:

Chord Track - Is not essential in production. It’s just a lazy tool. But Automation - yes. Automation drawing and a whole mixing process in Renoise lacks in every aspect of modern standards. And you know it.

Why should mixing tools be everyones priority?

It’s pretty obvious that mixing is not the forte in Renoise. Just like Cubase is a better compositional tool than Reaper. Personally, I like the fact that devs don’t have a lot of mixing features that takes time maintaining, and that the software has other focuses.

Renoise is a different paradigm, so it’s pretty useless referring to “modern standards”. You could argue that a piano roll should have the highest priority, using that premise.

This topic is an excellent example for wasted time and energy. :w00t: keeping the focus constantly on problems and on what’s missing, seldom brings solutions.

And Andrey, how can a video of a licenced Reaper and a 190$ synth prove, that something in Renoise is missing that costs maybe only 30% or less?

Where ever I look around in Reaper, I cannot find the damn beloved tracker view. :slight_smile: So, both seem to miss something. The answer is: they are just two different pairs of shoes. You are free to choose them according to your task and according to your preferred workflow.

When my neighbour demonstrates his new Mercedes Benz, I never come to the conclusion that something at my bicycle is missing - still I am much faster travelling and finding parking lots everywhere in the city instantly, but not with the big car with leather seats, GPS navigation and whatever. The opposite is the case, I feel amused when I see long queues of cars in front of the parking decks still waiting for their slot, while I already finished what I had to do in the city and can ride back home. But on the highway (where I never travel, because I choose public train transport for longer distances), maybe I’d rather miss the leather seats.

Everything is relative :drummer:

I think the whole life is full of workarounds. And we have the choice to accept it, or be unhappy with it. The good news is, that there’s a solution for almost everything.

For me it would be no problem at all to create in one app that I regard as better for creation, and mix in the other app that seems to be better for mixing, if I think it is really necessary.

Some people here seem to wish something that we call in German “eierlegende Wollmilchsau” (=egglaying wool milk pig?). :slight_smile:

220px-Wollmilchsau.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau

And Andrey, how can a video of a licenced Reaper and a 190$ synth prove, that something in Renoise is missing that costs maybe only 30% or less?

THIS VIDEO ABOUT AUTOMATION, FOLKS! :))))))))))

Another story, in the graphics industry you have the choice to either rent a subscription based software that costs a lot every year - but also provides much more features than you ever need -, or you want to be free of subscriptions and go to the competition, and in some cases can expect update costs of 200-300 Euro every year, for just a few minor improvements. Compared to this situation, I am really more than happy about how Renoise handles it.

Another story, in the graphics industry you have the choice to either rent a subscription based software that costs a lot every year - but also provides much more features than you ever need -, or you want to be free of subscriptions and go to the competition, and in some cases can expect update costs of 200-300 Euro every year, for just a few minor improvements. Compared to this situation, I am really more than happy about how Renoise handles it.

Oh really? :wink: Welcome! 49$ software that blows away Adobe.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

no new feature will come. No core improvement. Yes, sometimes renoise is a pain. But also a really nice software still. and the best tracker we have.

End of discussion. Thread is closed.

Thread was closed already since the answer to the initial question was given in Post #2 :slight_smile:

Yes, Serif looks not bad, but it cannot blow away Adobe, as a professional publishing company we must use it for compatibility reasons (data exchange with the rest of the industry). Another reason is, you can easily find Adobe experts, if you need to employ or exchange people in the team.

On the job I use Adobe, at home I use mostly products of Corel+Smith Micro - and Adobe (the company licence) :-).

Adobe is the most complete software, but also a horror show regarding performance, workflow and memory usage. It’s a mess. I just had to write this!

Renoise on the other hand is lightweight, fast loading and also sexy to look at.

May I post a picture, edited in photoshop, of a cat using a wacom pen while it’s listening at a Audition rendered track made in Renoise on a windows platform through his Senheiser headphones. And notice I avoided mentioning that Glitch 2 is actualy at 50%…

Still in the thread’s subject. Devs. are working on a VR Universal Creation Environment Platform, but with both subscription and one time paid model.

There is a mistake on the webpage: it says “what s New” and then lists a lot of features…

Let’sremind ourselves what taktik wrote back in May 2013:

Some people here start to get nervous and wonder if we are actually working on a new release or not. Don’t worry, of course we are. Just takes a little bit longer this time.

Can’t give you any details about the final feature set here now though. We do keep the content and status of internal (and alpha) releases private for two good reasons:

first, because the best surprises are those you don’t expect (Renoise releases should be like Christmas), and second, to avoid discussions about features in progress we actually haven’t implemented yet and thus can not make any promises about yet. If we promise that release X.Y will contain feature Z, and it actually can’t be realized or we don’t want to keep it because it turned out to not be what we hoped it could be, this will only result into disappointment on the user side and a lot of stress on our side.

Only thing I can reveal here now is that it will be Renoise 3.0 and its new features probably will be a bit unexpected for many. We took the time to experiment with a few things. Revised them a lot. Thrown away large parts of it again because we haven’t been fully happy with them, and partly started from scratch.

Some of those features also required rewriting large parts of the codebase; with Renoise getting bigger and more complex internally, new features also will take longer to realize with every new release. And hey, we’re a small team too. We don’t have a big bunch of people working off feature after feature and actuall also don’t want to work this way.

So please be a little bit patient. Next news will be the official beta announcement for 3.0. Also can’t promise when exactly this will be. It’s ready when it’s ready. And it’s ready, when we are happy with it and not because some financial department says that it has to be ready. That’s a very luxury way of working but I hope also a way of working many of you can acknowledge.

So, stay tuned. In the meanwhile, enjoy Renoise 2.8 wink.gif

Source: https://forum.renoise.com/t/some-news-about-the-upcoming-renoise-release/38691

*) The underscores andbolds were added here by me to further highlight certain aspects of this message.

Now taktik is pretty clear here in his communication IMO. The way the devs work is to experiment , revise , throw away large parts, partly starting from scratch again, rewriting large parts of the codebase, etc. And they wish to avoid discussions about features and concepts because of the way they need to work: if something is started and later down the road decided to be thrown away, it will result in a lot of stress for the devs ifany previous informationabout those features and concepts is still livinga life on its own among the users. They are notworking off feature after feature and also don’t want to work this way. Also they don’t want to establish deadlines when something needs to beready (i.e. time scheduled roadmaps), they’ll have something ready when it’s realizedin a waythey’re happy with.

So there you have it. Couldn’t be any clearer.