[done] Make One Pattern From Many!

Will be great to have the hability from a option in the right clik menu to make a unique pattern from a selection of pattern in the song editor. A kind of “merge patterns feature”
Would be so useful for me cause I m used to make one pattern per measure but in a live way it will be easiest for me to merge them .

Wish I 'm clear.

Merci

(and pleaze don’t forget the midi assignation of mute and solo!!!)

that would be cool indeed but i prefer a multi pattern arranger. having both would be wo0t.

I’d love a “Merge patterns to new pattern” option

+1 to the merge patterns idea.

+1
Merging and also splitting patterns… nice idea.

Actually yah… splitting patterns would pwn

:) +1
Tho not high priority to me personally.

would be very useful.

That would certainly PWN.

At the moment I have to make a new copy of the pattern, Make Selection Unique, and then actively delete the parts I dont want from the new pattern. Makes my head hurt.

I would love a feature to select a load of tracks in a pattern and then have a button to put ONLY these tracks into a new pattern, with the rest of the tracks empty.

I usually make a song by working for a long time on a single pattern, then copying the pattern a load of times and removing parts from it to make the basic song structure and fine tuning from there.

I am sure I am not alone in this methodology.

As it stands, I have to use a combination of Mute and trial and error to remove the elements I dont want from a new version of a pattern.

Not cool. :(

The ability to select a load of tracks and put them all onto a new pattern would be amazing, and would make my live a HELL of a lot easier/slick.

Possibly, but this also seems like pretty fundamental behaviour which Renoise itself should support, imho.

word, I’d use this a lot. +1

Yips, thats really nothing that belongs into a script tool as you want to do this quickly within the Renoise workflow…

Great!

I think this is an issue for the Pattern <> :). It COULD be included in Advanced Edit, but it is not really a Pattern specific issue…

This is a much needed feature for me and a lot of other people it seems!

Glad you agree Taktik!

merging could be added to pattern arranger:

if selection is more than one pattern
then add “merge selection” to the context menu.

one thing to be aware of:

always create a new pattern when merging (pattern 00 + 01 have to merge to 02), otherwise you will be in trouble in certain situation, such for example if one or more of the merged patterns is already in use elsewhere.

the best solution would be to check:

if the selected patterns are in use elsewhere
then create a new pattern by merging the selected one
else merge all to the first pattern in the selected sequence

I am sorry!

I meant PATTERN ARRANGER.

It-Alien is correct.

I think the best solution would be this;

A function to allow for certain tracks of a pattern to be layed onto an entirely new pattern.

Imagine if you are looking at a pattern and you think “I want Track 1, 7, 9, 2, 3 and 10 to be taken and put on a new pattern without any of the other stuff”… We should be able to put these tracks onto a fresh new pattern. It is basically a sophisticated copy and paste feature.

If Taktik wants to make it MORE complicated than this, then that is fine… But it is a lot of work.

If anyone can enhance the ideas here, please say!

If the pattern arrangement in a song is something like this:

and you want to merge the first two patterns, this merge should become pattern 6 at the start of the arrangement. The patterns you’d selected for merge should vanish, but the individual patterns 1 & 2 should still remain in the rest of the song order. Am I making sense, is this what you’re proposing it-alien?

yes:

1 <= selected, 16 rows
2 <= selected, 32 rows

becomes:

5, 48 rows

while

1 <= selected, 16 rows
2 <= selected, 32 rows

becomes

1, 48 rows

another example:

1 <= selected, 16 rows
2 <= selected, 32 rows
2 <= selected, 32 rows

becomes

1, 80 rows

Personally I’d prefer to see the merged pattern with a new number no matter if the original patterns are in the continued sequence or not.

I might just want use one of the old small patterns later on, see. :)

Also, I presume this would be a right-click option when selecting several patterns in the sequencer? In any case, it would also be useful to either just “merge selected” or “merge selected + duplicate”, so that if I have pattern 1 & 2 merged to pattern X, I’d in this case like to see 1 & 2 merged throughout the sequence to pattern X.

Example:

1 <-- selected, 16 rows
2 <-- selected, 37 rows
1 <-- not selected, but is a duplicate sequence of selected, 16 rows
2 <-- not selected, but is a duplicate sequence of selected, 37 rows

becomes

6 <-- 53 rows
6 <-- 53 rows

with 1 & 2 to spare. Just in case. Heck, if you want to get rid of them, just sort the patterns later. ;)

My name of the context menu sucks, though. Better suggestions anyone?

I thought this would just be pattern merging, but I see you guys also include different row counts inside patterns. That’d be cool no doubt, tho I think harder to implement. Right now you can’t make multiple selections in different patterns, that should be added first…and this influences other actions aswell…like flip / expand / cut / paste etc etc.

If there are different row counts, there should be a pop up that says “hey man, do you want me to copy these patterns to a new pattern of equal to the amount of rows of the longest pattern, and have the lowest length pattern added at the start for easy copy and paste business”??

PARAPHRASE!

This could then lead to offset feature on the patterns to be merged! Nice…

Might make for some very interestin and unexpected sound combinations.