Doofer wet/dry

@taktik - just came across this - I, too, would love to have a dry/wet option for the Doofer device. It would be great to be able to adjust the amount of signal passing through it.

For example, today I wanted to put a Doofer I made that glitches the audio on the Master track. To affect the entire mix. No such luck to allow for just some of the signal to pass through. So, I tried to put a Send in the Master track. Nope. Got an error, and it said to contact y’all :smiley:

Would it be possible to do one or both of the two scenarios in the future (along with the rest of my insane requests (automated granular, automated timestretch, and FM stuff))? Please, please, pretty please?

2 Likes

I had a different idea on this functionality.

I had the idea, to make the doofers work like the instrument effects do. Like it could have different chains/lanes, that can internally send among each other. Instead of sending samples to each lane, you would send via tracks into the doofer. The lanes each would by standard output to the track the doofer is in, but could also be made to output to a different track, or maybe even the input of another doofer.

This way you could also get dry/wet with a simple send and a blank lane (maybe there could be made a shortcut for this functionality, like each lane could have a dry/wet control), but you would gain something much better, that is parallel processing inside of doofers. I currently use the instrument effects massively for parallel processing in sound design, so I know what benefits it could have to have all this power inside of doofers.

Also this would open up a big preset business - currently the single chain doofers are kind of limited, but with parallel processing and internal routing you could build up real complex effects, from complex filtered and modulated neuro multiband distortions to fully functional mastering presets inside a single doofer to place on master up to fully functional vocoders.

4 Likes

internal parallel processing á la the instrument fx (or ableton racks) is definitely the most powerful solution for this scenario. id love to see it.

+1. Disregard my first feature request :slight_smile:

+1 for me, too.

One separate dry and wet sliders would be much better than a single wet/dry slider. I also think it’s appropriate to mention the ‘Receiver’ device which could basically solve all our problems. :grinning:

Well, given that wet and dry are inherently related, two sliders wouldn’t add anything (despite confusion) :slight_smile:

Of course it would add more control, you can separately change the volume wich would be impossible with a single wet/dry slider.

But those are not seperate things. 100% wet implies 0% dry and vice versa.

Of course they are separate, just look at convolver, cabinet sim or whatever, they have a wet slider and a dry slider for a reason you know.
You can have 90% wet and 80% dry, but if it was only one slider like you suggest the dry would automatically be 10%. That is not practical.

:smile:

Okay, then we also need the following in Renoise:

• A No-Send device

• An unmute button

• An unsolo button

And the EQ should have the option to boost AND reduce volume for each point individually.

That’s just a very weird way to say 53% wet (on anormal single knob).

Math genius here: two sliders can sum up to 200%, while a single knob always stays 100%. Hence you can compensate with additional gain or so, if using single knob solution, to get fancy 200%.

Either you don’t understand or you don’t want to understand, i don’t know, but you see the difference don’t you? Ok, you could fiddle with a gainer after the slider to compensate for the level changes you would get by sliding the single wet/dry slider compared to sliding only one of the separated sliders, but that would imo opinion not be very practical.

I think the idea of single knob is to “preserve overall volume”, but actually it is not working, since 100% reverb might not sound equal loud as 100% dry…? Still I think single knob is more common. Dual knob surely is more flexible for a lot of scenarios, but wastes one knob slot. In the end I think single knob is better, it saves space.

But the ableton / bitwig parallel container anyway provides individual gain per layer + overall dry/wet single knob, or was it wet gain in Bitwig? Maybe the overall knob could be saved, and instead there was a dry layer by default, which you then can gain as you want. But such a device may require new gui controls in Renoise… And horizontal scroller inside a dsp GUI…

The point I wanted to make is that I have never encountered a situation in practice where two knobs would have been superior, in the same way that having individual boost and cut on an EQ would not be practical.

But anyway, the forum software just told me that I have responded too often to you already in this thread (what a weird “feature”), so I’m out :slight_smile:

I have very good use of the wet and dry sliders that many of the native dsp’s have, it’s so much easier to automate. Say you want a gated reverb on your snare, but you don’t want to change the dry levels.

I think just adding wet/dry control to the doofer isn’t suitable. It is also about calculating possible PDC per layer, and then compensating all layers to the maximum PDC. If you want to use multiple layers, you would have to stack the doofers recursively, and then it seems not to be possible to me to properly calculating parallel PDC anymore, it instead will sum up, so not just the maximum. Also then the whole dry/wet thing seems to be fucked up.

even this is a pain in the ass compared to just a quick w/d knob… atleast it’s possible, though