Drum Synthesis - Using only native renoise FX...

well with dc offset you can controll either you want a blipy begining or not… this is just a method using fx… an becides i didnt used any pitch envelopes in this tutorial…

Coolest thing I’ve seen in quite a while!

sorry can’t see tutorial at the moment …I am on low baaaaaand

sorry its only on vimeo for now :drummer:

http://www.vimeo.com/6418999

this was very fun to watch!

i am ashamed to say that i had never clicked the offset button before watching this video.

may the universe grant you a free beer in the near future, for your excellent work on this video.

well since i used renoise i used all of the renoises sample editor features, a bit missed a FFT pitch function but thats ok.
creating your own samples makes you very creative :)

I noticed that if you hit the FX button whilst only a portion of the waveform is highlighted, then you only effect that part of the waveform.
so you can crunch up just the attack portion of a snare with LoFiMat, then add some ambient reverb to the tail…
or you can eq the attack differently to the decay…
thanks for showing me how useful this button is!
now making samples is much more fun…

thanks a lot for this video.very interesting,and has opened my eyes to some different possibilities.i commend u sir.

I found more simple way to make a bassdrumm.

For drumm you not necessarily need a ringmodulation plugin, just with ringmod you can achieve more interesting result by modulating the wave or you can define the wave frequency, however you can make drums just skipping the ringmod, what you have to do is just:

1. make a new sample about 16800 length.
  2. Dc offset the empty sample, drawing by hand or applying the dc offset fx.
  3. Fade out the sample twice or more times…
  4. Press and hold dc offset button on sample editor for as long as you need…

:drummer: :D

Glitchtastic. And very inspiring, so thanks for posting!

Excuse me for being dim, but what exactly does DC offset do?

Wow, this is a great video!

It adjusts the sample to be more “centered” (aka corrects DC Offset)

With these two drum hits, the first one has a significant amount of DC offset. The second has been corrected to get rid of DC offset

More here: http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/eq_dc_offset/

I was somewhat dim as well… I just didn’t ask (stupid me) and yeah, it is inspiring especially with this month’s contest.

hello again, if you need a hint for the clap sound i also cant tell you how to do it.

actualy you will need:

1. make 16800 samples lenth noise sound.
  2. process a screem filter (low pass, distortion 100%, cutoff 20.08 kHz, resonance 0) on it many times till you get the same sounding noise.
  3. Select all waveform and press “fade out” on sample editor.
  4. Select the begining of the sample about a 1000 samples… and pres “fade out” again.
  5. the select from 1000 samples to 2000 samples and pres “fade out” one more time.
  6. and the last thing take the eq10 filter gain up 600 HZ and 3000hz to maximum and apply it to the sample…

this is just a hint you have to use your ears to sculpt the sample…

Crazy methods…combined with layering, eq etc then resampling, one could make some really huge, fat drums… :)

THAT’S THE SPIRIT! :drummer: :rolleyes:
open your creative minds :)

Hey man, just wanted to say thanks a ton for this video! I have watched it three times and am able to duplicate the samples you made.

Now to try my own!

Again, thanks!

excellent stuff! maybe it would be good to feature this on Renoise In:Depth?

yes, why not…

Nice one, cheers migloJE. :P

Hey there. For some reason the college network won’t let me onto vimeo. As far as I can tell from comments you’re using the ring mod to create a very decent wave and modulating pitch and amount.

You can actually make a decent AM synth with a couple of these, a dc offset drawn sample and some semi gratuitous use of hydra and one shot triggered by velocity device LFO, and of course key tracker (use appropriate note to hz conversion). What’s especially good is the inertia on the ring mod for easy portamento! Use a wave shaper for harmonics. If you’re using a second ring mod (making this AM not FM- I think)

I’ll post a chain when I get internet tomorrow.
Could you post your device chain XML Moss?

Also try this. make a 16 sample drawn sample. draw it like a simple drum pattern lets say (look at the 09 offsets at the bottom) make it 16 lines or whatever in length and play that through your ring mod. Drawing Beats! Rerender the dry drawn sample to be able to give it amplitude curves or whatever.

BIG UP THE SECRET NATIVE RENOISE SYNTH! :drummer: