Dual, Quad Core

well it sounds like this thread, is in need of…
-i have a problem. :)

with these recommendations, I’m going to take this advice & get an E6600. from glimpsing my signature. trust, I’m in need of a monumental overhaul! i guess i haven’t exactly been keeping up.

i was partial to asus boards, crucial & mushkin memory & amd chips.
so now that i feel like i may be stepping over to greener grass,

is there any combinations that really make this chip glow?

TIA! for any help.

if you plan to pick up a core2duo, hold on till the end of april, since intel is planning a rather aggressive price drop due the 22nd: http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5086

chipsetwise, i am running the i975x (Asus P5WDH-deluxe) and can only recommend it if you’re not looking for FSBs beyond 420mhz or don’t plan overclocking at all.

the motherboard itself is not very picky concerning RAM, and again, if you don’t plan to overclock, any DDR2-533 will do, even though i’d recommend DDR2-667, to just have some headroom incase you might need it.
price difference is near to non-existant.
if you want to do some overclocking, DDR2-800 is recommended.
creme-dela-creme is cellshock memory at the moment.
i myself am running corsair ddr2-800 cl4 and cannot complain.

Thanks for reporting the current ‘hot deals’, keith. Last time I seriously considered buying a new computer was last autumn. Seems it’s a good idea to wait another couple of months then. :)

junoir, i’d wait for the next scheduled price drop (late april) and fetch up a C2D of choice. otherwise you might endup waiting forever, since when one technology is being released, the successor is already waiting right behind the next corner… ;)
however it’s interesting to see, that with the Q6600 for a scheduled $266 later this year, quad-core will become mainstream.
imagine the possibilities with a CPU like that and a multithreading-capable renoise. :D

thank-you Keith!!

late april it is!

i kinda wonder if it would be plausible to,
have temporarily set renoise only use 1 core, thus allowing each core to be assigned to its own core. so those with dual or quad cores could run 2-4 instances of renoise at once, without them fighting for cycles?

so wassup? Back to work!
:drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Back to tracking!

2 more days! :D

the pricedrop has already happened, at least partially.
for example the E6600 (2x2.4Ghz, 4mb cache) has dropped from around 260€ to a meager 209€ within the last two weeks.
considering it took from 08/2006 to 03/2007 to drop from ~300€ (price i paid cry) to 260€, i guess it’s already the drop related to intel’s announcement, since the roadmap states 244$ for late april and now it’s even already at 209€.

i am refering to german market prices, btw.
( http://geizhals.at/deutschland/?phist=200142&age=183 )
( http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a200142.html )

Thank-you for clearing that up for me Keith. i began pricing the Conroe & was begining to get curious about this. here in the states it seems to mostly be in the range of 232-235USD, i think i’m going to wait just a little longer an get the mobo & ram in the meantime.
thanks again!
most of all, nice up for the heads up! :)

Hi Taktik when I’m can use 100% of resources of my q6600 in Renoise? All progressive soft (Nuendo, Cubase e.t.c.) already have support of the n-core cpu’s and I think supporting of multicore is one of high-priority problems for developers. Hope this thoughts is not rude, my english is still bad… :)

There is no secret that this already is a high priority.
So I would not worry :)

Looking forward to this. My AMD 4200+ X2 performs bader in Renoise than my old AMD 3700+.

=worse

WHEN??

How long its goin to take? :eek:

@WS0M3 T1M1NG!!!11111111oneonetwo

oh bantai -you are my favorite comedian.

get some serious crackling with my 4600+ X2 too… Even if there is only about 20% of the CPU in use. I use mostly outboard harware so this is not so big issue, but it would be nice to be able to use more than one vst instruments :) …it must be quite a showstopper to many people that you cannot add atleast one vsti on a machine this powerful.

Such plugins that make system crackle are Albino3, NI Massive, NI reaktor and most definetely Korg Legacy…

Some of these even with one note pressed… :(:frowning:

[quote="#<0x00005628524fa990>, post:59, topic:18661"]

get some serious crackling with my 4600+ X2 too… Even if there is only about 20% of the CPU in use. I use mostly outboard harware so this is not so big issue, but it would be nice to be able to use more than one vst instruments :) …it must be quite a showstopper to many people that you cannot add atleast one vsti on a machine this powerful.

Such plugins that make system crackle are Albino3, NI Massive, NI reaktor and most definetely Korg Legacy…

Some of these even with one note pressed… :( :(
[/quote]

something is not right there.

i just made a quick test on my system (see sig) with renoise v1.8 and i can run 8 instances of massive running on “ultra preset quality” with the “action to reaktion” patch. playing random notes on the respective 8 channels.

with the 9th instance i start to get slight crackles when the 2nd note on all channels gets triggered (which creates twice the polyphony), as the 1st not is being “released”, ADSR-wise).

i suppose you’re running a too low latency. i am at 8ms /w ASIO on a EMU1212m.

or maybe your system is poorly configured, software- and/or hardware-wise.</0x00005628524fa990>