[Effect Presets] tuned keytracked effects formulas/doofers Ktrk 1.1

As cannot be found elsewhere on this page, I decided to once again upload my tuned keytracked devices.

They are not just keytracked filters, but can be tuned to exact note frequencies with a keytracker. Many Renoise effects supported, not just the filters! Also there is bend control possible, and you can transpose or tune to harmonics by editing the parameters in the formula device text field (no need to scroll).

The library can be installed by drag’n’drop the file into a renoise window.

There are Doofer presets in the library, that contain pre-setup keytracker/formula/effect combinations. You will want to tweak the parameters of the keytracker, effect and maybe the text parameters of the formula to work with the effects.

Also the library contains the raw formula presets I have gathered so far.

I will in the following days look up my data and put up a table in here the devices each formula will work with. Sorry, can’t be bothered now, it’s been a while since I created them.

org.OoopsIFly.ktrk1.1.xrnl (37.6 KB)

10 Likes

Hey thanks but how do I use these in renoise I dont see them anywhere
edit i didnt read the description fully and just now figured it out. this is amazing thank yu dude. been trying to figure this out for days

1 Like

You’re welcome. Glad you find the stuff interesting.

If you have questions, or want to achieve something other than is currently possible with the effects, feel free to ask here. I might know how to help.

1 Like

Hey I have just started using the multitap delay key tracking for karplus strong. There seems to be a glide when pressing notes, is there any way to stop it from gliding or have a faster glide so it isn’t as noticeable?

No, sorry, the delay effects have the glide baked in. All I can do is tune the parameter value being set to a pitch. If you need instant pitch control for a filter, you should use the comb filter or chorus, not the delays. The delays I just added as a little gimmicks for experimentation.

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks anyway

Ehem, where do I find those presets again in Renoise after installation? EDIT: Nvm, found in the doofer / math device preset lists.

@OopsIFly Can you, by any chance, help me to keytrack the lofimat hertz? It goes from 20hz to 22050hz unlike the other devices.

I’ve tried tuning it by hand, but it’s not easy :blush:

Hi! I tried to find a tuning for it when I worked on the others, and think I came close or even perfect to the hz values of the device…but problem is, the device itself wasn’t tuned properly, and the actual audible frequencies were off/detuned by substantial amount from the displayed frequencies in a way that I couldn’t find out how to warp around it easily without data approximation. As if this was not enough, also the error was different for each sampling rate renoise was running in… So at some point I decided the only way would be to measure the output somehow and make a custom approximation formula, and that is a lot of work that I did not think was worth it, yet, but better to be fixed inside renoise first so that the device would act more reliably. I guess then this won’t be changed until there is a new iteration/version of the device like with the filters, because it could “break” old songs using it, making them sound differently.

And the LofiMat is not the only decimator in renoise, you can also use the Chorus/Flanger decimator. And this can be tuned perfectly with my formulas! And you can run it into the LofiMat to get some extra grit afterwards, if you want it to sound more like a chip. So I was happy with that for my sound design, so I ditched the idea of analyzing the LofiMat.

The formula for the Chorus/Flanger decimator is the same as for the other frequency filters in these devices, the formulas/doofers are in my pack. Here, I attach you one setup ready to use, it is just the chorus preset with the filter changed to decimator.

ktrk1.1 - Chorus Decimator.xrdp (8.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

I notice that a setup like this is not sample perfect all the time (due to internal mixing?), but it’s for sure interesting enough to use! The aliasing of non-interpolated and pitch tracked downsampling is very desirable to me. I just wished it would be compatible with vibrato, but that would be quite difficult to set up.

PS. Trick is also to transpose the sample and note data. One octave means multiplying/dividing the sample rate by two. Having 32 up to 256 samples per period gives different flavours and the sweetness that can be found when adding filters before (!!!) this effect is a holy grail, hehe…

1 Like

Not sample perfect, do you mean the LofiMat, or the decimator? The decimator is tuned pretty accurately, I believe.

I think it’s nice, like a weird square osc that gets excited by the input, try also other effects than filters, i.e. chorus or subtle reverbs or noise bleeding…

The results are of course different than a square osc, because the sample and the decimator rate might not always be perfectly in sync, kind of like a free-running oscillator. Maybe that is what you mean with not being sample perfect?

I wish the keytracker would react to portamento and vibrato pattern effect commands. Should suggest that as a feature upgrade. Until that works, you can use the detune/bend controls of the doofer to make a vibrato with an LFO. If you want the vibrato on the sample, too, then you need to match the range with a pitch modulation operator with the instrument macros, and hook it into the LFO, as well.

And if you wish to transpose the effect. Have a look into the formula device of the doofer. There on the first page of the formula code window are 4 number parameters that you can change, transpose in semitones, and also a harmonic multiplicator. You can just set the harmonic to “3” or “1+2/3” or whatever you like. Then the real fun with this device can start.

1 Like

P.S. what do you mean with the transposed sample and note data? Transposing the sample fed into the decimator, or transposing the decimator rate up and down in octaves?

yes, some nice talking bass to be had here

So I’m still planning to make an updated library, already working on it. Also collections of Instruments built with the keytracked tuners.

As for the decimator, I instantly built a nice instrument inspired by the discussion. Will be a nice start for the collection, I think.

For the discussion here I will upload it already, maybe I’ll later also add portamento and more effects. It’s the decimator yoi bass, with the filter before the decimator, like @joule hinted would be a good idea. It has 7 usable macro controls, selection of harmonic of decimator, 12 semitones pitch bend, and working vibrato in sync between oscillator and decimator.

Only downside is that these kinds of instrument will not work properly with portamento/vibrato pattern effect commands! So you have to use the macros for vibrato and pitch bend for portamento.

Decimator Yoi V1.xrni (20.0 KB)

5 Likes

Dope YOI, bruh :metal:

YOI YOI YOI

you should post this in the bass thread also

Very nice! And thanks for all the tips.

Looks like all macro knobs are already taken, but it would have been nice with a free-running LFO otherwise :slight_smile: (done with metamixer I suppose). Anyway I’m pretty sure I’ll use this xrni and add my own filter setup. Aliased leads ftw.

PS. Pitch should be after the decimator anyway, I think. So pattern effects should work fine, but not pitch envelope (?). The classic idea being that filters et c are applied on the single duty cycle (oscillator), and then generated to audio stream with a phase accumulator that controls pitch. As long as every period always has the same “internal sample resolution” regardless, I think we’re safe :slight_smile: It can be checked in an oscilloscope quite easily.

Are you able to share a pitch key tracking formula for deprecated chorus device’s filters?

Thank you for sharing the previous ones. They have benefitted me a lot!

Best Regards!

1 Like

I can try but it will be hard. I have no good formula - can only try generic ones, and finding one that makes a fit. I could derive the formulas of the new filters, because taktik leaked the formula internally used.

But the old filters and ringmod were difficult. Not only could I not find a matching formula, when I tried to approximate, the display value and the sound would often not match! So it is very hard to find out how they work. I’d have to generate audio and analyze it, to find the actual frequencies of the filters, then deriving a formula from it. I’ll let you know when I managed to tune the remaining devices.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Best regards!