Help with Keytracking Multiple Comb Filters

Alright, I’ve been able to create a pad from six (6) tuneable comb filters. Here’s the example:

Comb+Digital +Analog Filter Bank.xrni (1.5 MB)

I took a noise sample that I liked, lowered the volume down a lot, and have a really nice ambient noise ‘pad’ that can be tuned into chords with knobs. Great!

Now, what if I wanted to control the tuning of the entire sound?

Say I’ve got a chord going, it sounds great, but I want to drop it a 5th the next time I strike a note? How would I get all 6 tuned comb filters to pitch themselves downward simultaneously?

Is there a way to hook up a keytracker or some other device to trigger such a reaction?

ive got quick n dirty results just patching keyfollowers to the cutoffs but if you want proper chromatic tracking i think formulas are required. Clouds Gone has really gone in with this sort of thing - this thread might help you…

https://forum.renoise.com/t/effect-presets-tuned-keytracked-effects-formulas-doofers-ktrk-1-1/58746

2 Likes

Thank you for the guidance, I’ll check it out. And definitely looking for chromatic tracking. I’ve also gotten the tuned filters one to work in the past - it’s very much the same technique as the one I posted, but a little less accurate. We’ll see what I can come up with one day :slight_smile:

This will control all the macros simultaneously. I’m not an expert on music theory so I can’t say if the chord notes will be in tune correctly or not as you trigger different chords but they will all move uniformly. Chord Control.xrns (1.5 MB)

Whoa! Thank you - looking forward to trying this out, something good’ll come from it!

Took a look into it, and this doesn’t do what I was hoping for either - but this is no fault of yours. I made this an instrument that uses the tuning of the comb filters themselves to make the chord. With your macro-control, it changes all of the comb filters to the same note, and their jumps in tuning are not linked to the computer-keyboards actual note-to-key assignment.

What I did as a workaround was to just duplicate the instrument, and change the chord manually. No big deal, just curious to see if I could save some computing power - not that I need to :smiley: Thank you for your help in all of this!

Give this a shot:
Tuned Keytracked Noise Chords.xrni (840.7 KB)

It tracks the key played, and has macros for 4 notes, wet mix, inertia, and feedback.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to try this out soon when everybody wakes up :smiley:

This is really fancy! Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem, glad to help!