Enhancing The "random" Button For Vst(i)

For all exposed parameters, a checkbox (plus a toggle for “randomize selected” & “randomize unselected”) and an “amount” slider, also a “master amount” slider (amount in this context meaning the amount of randomness, you’d prolly call it differently but I’m about to hit the bed so…). That might be overkill, but at least a way to keep it from changing some parameters (obviously different for each VST(i)) would make worlds of difference. Allowing even more tweaking is of course always nice, but wouldn’t be as essential IMHO.

Oh, and it would rule if Renoise could remember the parameter mask (not necessarily the amounts) across all instances of the effect/instrument… because the main use I have in mind would be to forbid the random button to meddle with pich/finetune or any other parameters that make using the random function not really useful with some VST(i). You’d more or less set that up only once per VST(i). Oohhh… TWO separate masks would be great, so that you can mark the parameters you really never want to change, and can set up a second (temporary) mask to play with just a bunch of parameters…

I hope that makes any sense to anybody, if not I’ll be happy to explain it better tomorrow…

I support this idea… it reminds me the “random” in fruity loops…

they use the word “population” for what you called “amount”… I think I prefer “amount” better.

Choosing the octave range would be a good idea too…

+1.

yeah, good idea. +1

Bump haha.

i didnt know that god used fruity loops… he just turned the population knob and boom. people

Another note about the random function in renoise: it doesn’t seem to be very random!.. that is, if you press it enough times, every parameter will end up somewhere near the middle. This seems to be a sign that the the random function is TOO intelligent. A true randomization would also have parameters sitting at 100 or 0% sometimes.

(Should I repost this little thing as bug?)

It’s sooooo 10.000 BC to put on a skeleton mask and dance your fears away.

aww… bullseye. shrugs

Should totally look into a solution like the patch mutator for the Nord Modular software. Pick patch 1, patch 2, generate random variations between them, through interpolation or genetic algorithm style crossovers and mutations.
I’ve gotten a ridiculous amount of mileage and happy accidents out of that tool, and having it app-wide in Renoise through extending the automation device or somesuch would be pretty okay!

Sigh :)