Extend Pattern Effect To Xxxxyyyy

Yes! Great ideas. We need some old school tracker effects upgrading. It feels like this dimension has been neglected for quite some time.

We now have 8 effect columns…
Perhaps an extended mode (switchable in the preferences) to use the odd column for effect type and the even column for value is the solution…

Then you can have 65536 pattern effects with values from 0 to 65535.

Sounds like a deal to me!

this. please!

I’m still not super convinced we still need to remain with hexadecimal values. I realize this is like swearing in church, but why not throw that out and give us a float input field per line?

To be perfectly honest, hexadecimal values have no real place in a modern sequencer of any sort, and I’m personally sure it’s a bar of entry to a lot of new users.

The whole effect column needs a makeover. We’re happy to ditch speed/BPM standard, so for the love of god let’s be open to throwing hexadecimal into space as well.

I somehow find it hard to tweak hex values with little increments, hex is fine when values are like 0x10 and 0x40 but for me it’s hard to read a value of 0xD4 and instantly know what’s the decimal or percentage value. In these cases I would prefer floats (like filter cutoff actually being in kHz etc).

If there’s more resolution and therefore space in value column then maybe optional use of bar like graphic to indicate value would be better. It would be fast to read rows of little bars indicating rising filter cutoff, for example.

there are some instances where hex is better… like when splitting a range of values into fours… 00 40 80 C0 … but then, if I had custom offsets, that wouldn’t really be an issue :P

Floats would definitely be better for some effects

… that said, it’s nice to be able to place only the higher digits of a value… instead of typing in 2-3 characters per line at a time… that’s half of what gives tracking its quick composition speed.

Pure number values would be preferable. But I presume the transition would take too much dev work to be worth it - and produce a lot of problems, bugs and confusion.

Assuming that those mean powers of two, I prefer those as well, especially if they are numbers of patterns and they are large (such as 65,536). I noticed that Renoise only allows up to 999 of them though. Note: I start my patterns from one rather than zero, so that turns the 1,000 into 999. 999 patterns though is not too good for me. In fact, there is another program that I use that allows up to 4,000 patterns (virtually 3,999 due to the lack of a pattern labeled “0”), but I had to increase that to what it was prior to that, which was actually 65,000, not 65,536. I tried 65,536 but that does not work. The program is coded wrong for that. I would like to recode the program for the 64-bit environment, but I do not have enough training to do that and I have already annoyed the developers many times about the pattern limit (unintentionally, but I have made plenty of references to that subject, and it has almost gotten me booted off the forum), so I doubt that they will do it anytime so, if at all. Here are my ideas though if I was to recode the program (called Modplug Tracker).

End. Make it consistant[ly one], e.g., everything would start at one (as the rows, patterns, and orders do not) (That is weird. Perhaps tracker coders could take a cue from Microsoft. Excel’s items start at one and are powers of two) except for primarily volume and panning.
Increase the limits, perhaps making them consistant[ly 1,048,576] (though the 1,048,576 limit especially applies to patterns and orders due to the position jump effect) (and the lack of a need for me to use it then) (in addition to the fact that I prefer to see my patterns go straight through from 1 to x (where x represents the length of that particular song) instead of using extended (more than 64-row) patterns)
↓. Change the GUI slightly, enlarging it to fit the 1 - 1,048,576 (1 - 10 0000) scale and making it include commas (Wow, that character is so nice. Whatever did happen to the comma?)
Page Down. Fix a couple of bugs in which after pattern and row 32,769, scrolling no longer works properly when the scrollbar is used

The reason that I would like those to happen is because I do musical arranging and sometimes my arrangements can be rather long. So far, my longest one is, oh, man, I can’t even remember because I have so many of them. I have been arranging music with Modplug Tracker since 2002, but after a while it started getting boring and tiring. That is until multipattern duplication came along, then I was excited for a little bit longer, but then I still had to deal with the 4,000 pattern limitation. 4,000 is a weird number anyway. I would have thought that the developers would have known that the nearest powers of two to 4,000 are 3,072 and 4,096.

:blink:

what’s with all the crazy people lately? no offense… then again, I don’t care, be offended if you want, I just gotta wonder. especially since it’s a quite a rich question coming from me :lol:

I wonder what kind of BPM + LPB is being used on a songs with 4000 patterns using 999 lines. :?

What would that sound like?

The songs could surely not be filled with human input, they must be generated.

The resolution must achieve true Curtis Roads style microsound.

wow!

this track looks awsome with pattern matrix btw

I am in :)

Longtrack 2: I am curious about something. Is this a song or a tracker? From the way the posts follwing the one mentioning it, it appears to be a song, but I could be mistaken. If it is a tracker, where can I download it and take a look at it. Perhaps it allows more than 256 or 4,000 patterns.

why dont you follow the link posted??

its a very long track :walkman: made out of many tracks from many great renoisers

ha, will listen to that long track thingie (=

So, it is supposed to be 255 (weird number, perhaps consider using 256 next time) patterns long and play for 60 days? I am going to guess that the tempo is 1 and the speed, probably in the tracker’s case, 65,535 (again, weird number, perhaps consider using 65,536 next time). Actually, the speed is probably 65,537 because the tracker likes large prime numbers for some strange reason. The speed and tempo not being six and 125 is the only way that I can think of to make the song play for 60 days. A pattern playing at a speed of six and a tempo of 125 lasts for approximately eight seconds (with 64 rows). In that case, the full length would be approximately 8 × 255 or 2,040 seconds (34 minutes). Now, if the pattern had the full 512 rows, it would last for approximately 61 seconds (one minute and one second). 61 × 255 = 15,555. 15,555 seconds = 259 minutes and 15 seconds. That translates to a little bit more than four hours. Speaking on this subject, how long would 65,472 rows (a not as good 1,023 patterns, ugh) (unfortunately, nothing higher than 65,535 works, so I would not be able to take full advantage of the pattern break or the 1,024[sup]th[/sup] pattern, again, ugh) last? Hmmm, that lasts for approximately 130 minutes and 57 seconds. That translates to a little bit more than two hours. That length × 255 would equal a little bit more than 23 days. Now, that number × 65,000 would equal, unless I did the math incorrectly, which I do not believe that I did, a little bit more than 16 years! Of course, that is using the 365-day scale, the speed is still six and the tempo is still 125. So, let’s see here… If I could make a song with 1,048,576 patterns, all having 65,536 rows, how long would that last? That would last for almost 261 years and a half! Now, that would be a long song! That would be the equivalent of a song having 1,073,741,824 patterns in it! Let’s see here… That would be:
End. 97,612,893 repetitions of The Desert (11 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 1
↓. 89,478,485 repetitions of Power Plant (12 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 4
Page Down. 82,595,524 repetitions of Danger Room and the Bookworm action mode theme (13 patterns long for each of them), and the song would end on pattern 12
←. 67,108,864 repetitions of Popcorn and Daisy (16 patterns long for each of them)
Clear. 63,161,283 repetitions of The One Must Fall ending sequence (17 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 13
→. 48,806,446 repetitions of Fire Pit (22 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 12
Home. 44,739,242 repetitions of the One Must Fall menu and Stadium (24 patterns long for each of them), and the song would end on pattern 16
↑. 41,297,762 repetitions of the Bookworm classic mode theme (26 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 12
Page Up. 35,791,394 repetitions of Loading Screens and One Two, One Two (back-to-back) (30 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 4
End-Insert. 27,531,841 repetitions of Daisy’s cruise ship and the Bookworm action and classic mode themes (where the Bookworm themes are back-to-back) (39 patterns long for each of them), and the song would end on pattern 25
End-End. 18,199,013 repetitions of 3D Pinball’s sound effects (59 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 57
End↓. 15,561,475 repetitions of the Insaniquarium suite (69 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 49
End-Page Down. 11,671,106 repetitions of the Bloobs suite (92 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 72
End←. 11,302,545 repetitions of Marble Drop’s sound effects (95 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 49
End-Clear. 9,761,289 repetitions of March of the Toys (110 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 34
End→. 8,729,608 repetitions of the One Must Fall: 2097 suite (123 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 40
End-Home. 8,073,246 repetitions of the Zelda sound effects (133 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 106
End↑. 6,279,191 repetitions of Microsoft’s narrators (171 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 163
End-Page Up. 5,478,274 repetitions of the Ultimate Yahtzee suite (196 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 120
↓Insert. 4,210,752 repetitions of Longtrack 2 (255 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 64
↓End. 2,990,924 repetitions of one of my choir concerts (359 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 108
↓↓. 2,491,280 repetitions of the Rayman suite (431 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 144
↓Page Down. 1,609,807 repetitions of the Chex Quest suite (667 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 555
↓←. 1,456,908 repetitions of the Goldeneye 007 suite (737 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 628.

Now, let’s see if I can get the number of repetitions under 1,000,000. That was easy. 1,073,741,824 patterns would only be 63,258 repetitions of Hey, Raven, Try to Make Your Pyros Dance With These Aliens! (16,974 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 532. How about this one? Are you ready? 1,073,741,824 patterns would only be 16,525 repetitions of the old version of Ulthex Quatzee (64,974 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 46,474. It would be only 8,213 repetitions of the newer version (which I have not made yet) (130,732 patterns long), and the song would end on pattern 39,908.

If u ask me… I hope i will be part of it :)

You know how many patterns we should be allowed?

OVER 9000