Famous Trackers

I think that, in order to be famous as a mainstream author, you are somehow forced to use mainstream tools; most of the famous artist have probably so few spare time, and are so much involved into the mainstream mechanism, that they cannot do anything but following the stream, using the tools which “have to be used”, and so on. that’s why you will probably never go to see any famous artist using anything else than Cubase, Pro Tools or Garageband, unless one day you will be able to reach (and keep) mainstream fame directly from your bedroom.

this said, there are some Renoise artists which have reached worldwide attention in their genre niche

sorry… im running short on words. so here’s a smiley.

Also, not everyone likes sharing their used software, techniques etc to retain in a mist of secrecy not to debunk the music. Apparently it is very hard for magazine editors to interview certain artist who want to stay ‘mysterious’.

That’s almost as bad as DJs who refuse to give a tracklist. ;)

Only kidding, at least as far as favourite plug-ins go anyway, although I do see very little harm in mentioning what your mains Hosts/DAW is/are.

when i said famous i was talking about someone like aphex twin or underworld, famous and amazing

not like… i don’t know let’s say scooter or other cheesy band

don’t see any “reason” not to use Renoise for a guy like aphex twin or amon tobin, autechre, etc…

Renoise is not mainstream because trackers never were mainstream, but as days goes by i find this software to be really really good and i just think how stupid i was to use Skale for so many years when Renoise was around

gotta tell you, i’m totally in love :wub:

Aphex Twin sounds to me more like he was using Ableton Live… but yes, he’s the kind of an artist who doesn’t like talk much about his music and methods. But I have read from several sources that he returned back to hardware (maybe just rumours :panic:).

I also thought Richard Devine mainly composed on hardware, although he does obviously have software and think I have also seen Renoise mentioned at least in passing. Doesn’t really matter at the end of the day though does it…

and i totally understand him, it’s not about secrecy like “oh… if they don’t know what i did they will not imitate me” - there will always be imitators, there’s a constant lack of personality in hummanity, some create, others imitate

and also there are always lab monkeys who enjoy so much to show on youtube how others did it, these guys usually pretend to be big on someone elses expenses

i think that when a guy like aphex twin doesn’t want you to know how he did it it’s probably because he wants you to focus on the final result, that in the end is just what matters

i don’t say that it’s stupid to try to understand how they did it, i just understand when they don’t want you to know

autechre? aren’t they fans of the native reverb?

This reminds me of an interview he gave for ‘futur music’ magazine …That was hilarious ;;.taking the piss with both the readers and the magazine itself
Some of the gear he mentioned was a roland mc 909 ’ van helden edition 'c’mon :lol: rofl and clones of actual roland gear .
By this he stated that it really doesn’t matter which gear you use …and ofcourse to piss of all the fanboys .

sure, i don’t know what does Underworld use to make the music they make but i wouldn’t be surprised if they used old analogue instruments, like Tortoise do

it’s possible to make “modern” music with old gear, but also you can have the lastest products on the market and sound like 1998

also if a music is really good it won’t sound dated in the future

you listen to Goldie - Timeless and it sounds dated, but APhex Twin - Richard D. James album don’t, it’s always a good album

it doesn’t matter, unless we’re talking about Jean Jacques Perrey that made samples in the 60’s or so by repropucing and cutting tape, that’s serious sh*t, that deserves all our respect :D

Well no disrespect to goldie ( personally I don’t like it ) but I think the reason why goldie sounds dated is because the music was bound to a specific genre , which was the next big thing 10 years ago … not because the gear he used
Aphex on the other hand is timeless …even when using 20/30 year old gear ,again that’s my personal view on things
Musical instruments ( hardware, electromechanical, analogue ,classical ) can never sound outdated , software ( and V.A.'s on the other hand can, because of the early immature stage the software/was coded in order to mimick the real thing.

nice to hear that you felt in love so much by taking a deeper look into Renoise!

it’s incredible how much time people waited for a new Skale version, and now that its death has finally been announced, I have mixed feelings toward the people who laughed at me when I suggested them to try Renoise on the Skale forum :rolleyes:

lol
Well at least it looks that (s)he liked it

i didn’t even knew Renoise when i got into Skale

as i had to move on from FT2, skale was the first to show that looked like FT2

since it served me i didn’t had any reason to find another, but now i needed things that skale couldn’t do and started looking around

Reason is the thing!

but that’s what i was saying, gear don’t mean nothing if you suck (well goldie didn’t suck that much, at the time i really enjoyed it)

Richard Devine apparently uses Renoise, but also a lot of programmatic music apps like MAX/MSP and such.

Dabrye is another.

John Lennon used a tracker, I’m sure. So did Bob Marley.

:D

i once heard that Raymond Scott made a lot of machines that didn’t work, it was just for the picture, he used Graoumf Tracker

not Bob Marley, it’s Bob Dylan… he uses Renoise with scream filter to tune his voice