Faster Release Cycle

The strategy backfired? Oh well.

Would someone explain in Foo?'s own verbose style (the one he has been so generous with, when it comes to musical discussions and production tips), that they are happy with the existing system? Or, should I just highlight the upcoming feature in Renoise called scripting?

I’m lucky enough to be alpha-testing, and - without saying too much - I think I can promise that the kind of “minor features” that are typical of a more frequent release cycle, will become a reality soon. Only difference is, that it is us - the Renoise composers - who’ll suddenly be able to expand the application in many new ways. Exciting stuff, and a really smart move by Taktik & co.

maybe teasers would help… nothing fancy, just words… stuff that surely will be in the next version… something to feast our minds on… I know, I know, this is not the way it’s done around here and I generally like that… but still… just something hehe :rolleyes:

Yeah, and grab that Teaser-guy from The Propellerheads’ latest teaser videos for Reason 5/Record 1.5 while you’re at it

:lol:

Maybe the Renoise team should make a tutorial video on the Virtue of Patience

I feel what you left unsaid, is a faster release cycle gets more users involved with the community.
Brevity maybe, everywhere benefits from brevity.

But impatience is currently how we get the releases.
One or two users start to mention it, then it converges, arguments get started over completely random and unassociated things emotions start running high, and like some highly superior technology a door opens and there is this lovely beta. The forums light up, brains start crunching and soon a release comes. The release is prized and heralded across the land. Eventually then the forums die off after many thanks and cheer, but only until it picks back up again.

you forget the power of teh lolcatz, whenever enough lolcat pics are brought up in these kind of threads, taktik succumbs and compiles the goodness for the masses.

or the devs kinda know what they’re doing and this kind of pressure is more annoying than helpful? I recall someone saying scripting is going to be more powerful than initially planned (since this is all new territory and kinda hard to plan, right?), because they’d rather do it right than just get “something with scripting” out the door. that sounds kinda great to me – time invested in designing/creating the foundations of something this important is time well spent, no?

that’s just a guess, but I still would bet it’s this and/or stuff like this which delays releases - NOT the devs slacking because they don’t get pestered enough! coding just doesn’t work that way, especially non-fulltime-coding. yes, renoise is commercial, no, it doesn’t pay the bills as far as I understand it. which isn’t renoise’s fault: it’s a very niche product crafted with a level of ninja und lurv which is simply unparalleled in those realms.

alas, lolcats are always worth a shot. or several.

[center]

[/center]

Last release was March 4th and we are really working hard to get the current new thing ready for the public. Please, give us some time. Being pushed by the public to release something won’t make a release happen sooner, but just creates more pressure and expectations.

And sorry, foo. Didn’t wanted to sound harsh. It wasn’t meant harsh and I for sure didn’t wanted to slag you off or something. But all this, “now release something, pronto!” attitude, mixed with some other stuff just was a bit too much the last weeks. Clearly my fault, but I’ve learned my lesson once again.

What a strange thread
Seems like it was a suggestion that got turned round into being unpatient
What an ass hat way to twist up somebodies thread
I’m no big fan of Foo personally but damn the way you all twisted his thread up here is a joke

It’s up to the devs what they do but if users can’t even have an opinion without being jumped on like this it is gonna be hard to keep recommending Renoise
And for someone to step in and say Blah blah but i’m alpha testing so shut up and wait is bad form at best

Taktik admits he shouldn’t have mentioned 2.6 and that is maybe where this issue stems from but damn if the attitude of some in this forum doesn’t simply suck (In the worst elitist way, and not just in this thread but there are plenty of others lately)

There is a reason i don’t post much here anymore and when i do video tutorials i don’t even bother posting them here anymore

B

yes, a bit over the top. the thread should have ended after taktik gave his response in the fourth post.

it’s definitely a very reasonable suggestion and i wouldn’t mind faster updates myself but having in mind that the team wants the releases to be “tanks”… well, then thorough testing is the only way and that means longer release cycles i guess.

the biggest downside is that smaller updates gets “locked up” with more fundmental code changes, i guess.

peace! (=

Where did people slag you off? All I see is people saying they have faith in the devs and their decisions on how and when Renoise gets a new release. I’m sure many of us may like a new toy sooner but more than that we want something we can really rely on, as we are used to.

Maybe it’s time to give us your reasoning now so maybe people understand you better and realise it wasn’t meant as a dig at the developers in many way.

You have done and do a lot for this community. I hope the closing words of my first quote are not an indication of you leaving us.

The announcement of 2.6 with it’s features is/was a dream come true to me.

that really is a shame!

Maybe in the meantime, before 2.6 is released, there can be a ‘beatbattle’ to celebrate 2.5! Little late, but yeah…having more .xrns out there for everyone to check out, never hurts :) .

I think some of you (Foo? and Bungle) are over-reacting here. The words by taktik are not so harsh in my opinion: he is working hard and, as he said, Renoise 2.5 has been released 3 months ago.

Foo?, Your idea may be thought out as you say, but since you don’t know how much complex the addition of new features will be in 2.6, you don’t have been given any release date for it, and you also don’t know which features other than scripting are about to be added, how can you think that we are going to wait another year for the next release?
You even don’t know if the number of people involved into coding Renoise is still the same since last version.

Share your thoughts with us, then, otherwise we cannot understand the benefits of your point of view.

I don’t think people is slagging you off: this is pretty standard forum humour where nothing personal was said against you.

Plase thikn twice, If you are going to leave the community.

Taktik is still leading in what happens despite whatever alpha tester or team-member states around here.
If you read Taktik’s reply a little more closely, you find Taktik is also only expressing his opinion from his position and it is good argumented as well. Taktik is just as entitled to give his opinion as Foo is to give his. Though opening discussions about release schedules will always remain touching a sensitive point in programmer world, that goes for any software developer. If you know what programming is about, you know that clarity for release-scheduling will in generic stay wishful thinking and very hard to persue.

I do agree that team-members and alpha testers should be more careful for what they write around here and specially not using knowledge and their position to return harsh comments upon anything here.

The scripting might remove the need for this kind of suggested release strategy which is at least also the purpose: removing pressure off less relevant areas so there can be more focus to the more important and bigger features.

n/m.

I don’t think anyone was slagging Foo off at all.
Since this is a place where I feel I can freely contribute an opinion, I will say that I have been very pleased with the release frequency so far. Obviously I am excited about the upcoming known and unknown 2.6 features, but I want to be able to dive into them without wasting time on bugs etc etc. Also, I imagine writing the documentation for this particular update may take a little more time than usual. Solid “X.x” releases make a world of difference; They maintain the aesthetic of this site, they look and feel professional, they ablate backwards and forwards compatibility issues, we get more bang for our buck, and they prevent me from adding any more time to my already unhealthy obsession with these forums. ^_^

I see no reason for you to feel hurt at all Foo. Taktik and team are doing a great job on a great product. His response may have been a little kurt, but it was authoritative, not directed and to be honest that’s a good virtue for a team leader to have. Rock on :yeah:

My 10 Kazillion Cents: SLOWER RELEASE CYCLES!

RElax REnoizrz.

Let’z rock it hard and rocksolid with version 2.5 for the next 10 years :D

Bruce-Serious-Lee: don’t hurry, be happy.

Simply keep making music and don’t waste your time waiting for something - just be happy when it suddenly appears and then grab it with a smile.