Folders For The Vst Plugins Directory In Renoise.

that’s my whole issue with the search box.
If I search for a analogue lead synth, I don’t want to type a name of synths I know that can produce this sound,
I want to be able to find new ones, other options in this category.

I myself have all vst,s categorized in windows maps.
1: I want to see them
2: I want to be able to choose a category within Renoise

Indeed. The search box doesn’t cut it I’m afraid. We need the flexibility to customize our renoise studio to maximize work flow. The ability to create custom folders for our vst directory within renoise is what us end users need.

Yeah it would be nice.

I sometimes get a bit sick of using search or (my usual route) scrolling through a long long list to find the plug i am after… I dont user that many plugins to be honest, but even with the select few I do use the list is pretty long, what with all the mono / stereo variations etc etc. I cant imagine how long some of you vst bashers list are :S

So, I think a more streamlined approach is needed

As said before I would like most plugins to already be sorted for me :)
Someone with too much spare time could make a online ‘registration’ of plugins.
Then any user can contribute to sort plugins by default by adding a category and developer label.
Anyone can add or change this information whenever needed.

This information will then be merged into the next cachedVsts.xml.
So by default most popular plugins well be sorted already for you.

Like if you register Kontakt2:
name of plugin: Kontakt2.dll
name to be shown: bla bla
plugin id: blabla
vsti or vst: blabla
company: blabla
main category: sampler
sub categories: bla bla bla

etc etc…

Of course you would also be able to rename plugins and change/add folders in renoise.
But a presorted thing like this would just add that extra touch to it and save ppl a lot of work :)

good idea

psyj - you are exactly right.

Currently in windows, my vst directory’s have been subjected to a complete cleaning and organization by “COMPANY/NAME OF PRODUCT”. For example.

reFX

reFX/PlastiZ/plastiZ.dll
reFX/Vanguard/Vanguard.dll
reFX/Nexus/Nexus.dll

How renoise should pre organize is by company. Sound forge 7.0+ has a “organize plugins” feature that setup your list by company name then vst. this would streamline things and allow people to make there own adjustments according to there needs. (ie: vsts by type, favorites etc). Completely flexible to what suites you.

+1 for this feature :D

+1 here too =)

This kind of workflow discussion always makes me laugh up a bit of vomit from the pit of my stomach.

It’s a bit ironic that the more people talk about workflow, the less they are working.

The search feature is all I need, everything else is a waste of time & ressources. Kind of trying to solve the problem of how to give yourself a blowjob when you could just get someone else to give you one. Both involve work, but one is a waste of time.

A lot of people obviously want this feature, but with the search I won’t be bothered to use it. More time tracking, less time noodling with the interface for me.

:smiley:

Well… that was kinda the idea… :rolleyes:
I few people do the job once, for you… then its there, done forever.
It’s not a big deal to search if you know the .dll name of every plugin you got.
But for me it would be quite useful to sometimes try out a new effect by choosing one in a presorted category folder for instance.

Oh… and the searching would benefit greatly from this as well.

I started few days ago creating a Word document with 2 rows of tables. In right table I put VST printscreen [I got with Alt+Printscreen] and in right table I put its textual description.

This should visually help me to chose what I want quickly if forget vst name. When I finish my “work”, Ill let you download and add your plugins. But the problem would be - how to sort these VSTs in Word? Maybe there is better solution but I cant find better one. Any ideas?

Well, yeah cheers for that. It isnt ironic to ask for improvements to workflow is it… Thats how things improve and move on.

Anyway, not everyone is the hardcore Silents/Crionics/Kefrens/RSI tracking god you are, so maybe this would be a decent addition. Nowt wrong with progress.

Hardly. I’ve written music and been involved with 29 video games (THQ, Volition, Interplay, etc), written for recording artist out of Capital Records, MIG, Sony, Microsoft, CBS Studios etc. Had countless spots with TV commercial productions and have been doing this for over 25 years (yes did the demo group thing in the amiga days too). MY work flow rides on the fact that I work for a “LIVING” doing music and sound design, not looking for common options you’ll find in professional sequencers. I love trackers, always have… its well where I started (beside writing SIDS on the C64) so any improvement for renoise is beneficial to all of us.

The wonderful thing about progress in software development is that if you prefer to use the search feature, you have the option to do so. You cannot though align your needs upon everyone and expect it to work for there needs. Modifiable VST directories is a COMMON feature found in most professional sequencers.

Adding the ability to +add a folder in your VST listing is nothing on your resources. In fact, its 0 when you are writing.

Think you answered you own question here. Majority wins?

Moral of the story here is “if you don’t want to use it, DON’T. ;)

my idea is about grouping only
in dsp window add two button for grouping Simple and Advanced

In simple mode vsts will be group as now in renoise in advanced mode will be grouped as you want by default will only one node Other and all vsts in this
After this user can create other node and sub nodes and move vsts to this note for this
s i understand for this will be need change in xml tree group only
Example
Compressors
__Free
___list of
__Good
___list of
Distortions
__list of
Reverbs
__Renoise
___list of
__Free
Other
__List off

and i think group vst instrument was unnecessary becouse it was in other list

I need only group effects
Thanks
and +1

again with the “unnecessary” … instrument grouping might not be a feature you would use, but that doesn’t mean that others might not find it useful. I definitely would find it useful to have both my effects and instruments groupable because I don’t often remember which VSTs do what and to start messing around with each VST I have installed would take away from my creative flow. In fact, it often completely messes up my song when I end up adding a VST instrument that I’m not sure of, and start messing with it because my mind starts off in a different direction completely… often a direction that would be better off in another track.

The fact is, if I could group my instruments and effects, I could just look for ones in the “glitchy” category when I wanted glitch, or ones in my “industrial lead” category when I wanted to be a rivithead.

In fact, the logical progression to all this is the ability to save presets/patches from certain instruments in a separate (grouped) interface so that with one click the VST instrument will load with your meticulously programmed preset of doom. I know this would speed up my workflow a LOT considering that when I want to use a specific soundfont (for example) I have to load sfz, open the interface for it, browse to the directory where I stored the soundfont, click open, click ok, tweak settings, and close… that’s 7 steps… and it really affects how I compose when I’m constantly being interrupted by things like that.

SURE Renoise has a great interface as is, but that doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be better. Hell, even a list containing grouped samples linked from various places on my system would be a welcome addition. Do I want Renoise to turn into fruity loops? No, but I can definitely see where an improved sound/effect selection interface would help a LOT of people.

I take it noone likes my idea with the grouped preset panel? :P

i miss this feature too

i put example only/ You can group as you want

_Native
___Pro53
___Absynth

etc :guitar:

i mean that dont move at disk becouse for this programmers must do two issues

1. Move on disk
  2. Save to xml or parse your disk drive and save tree to xml

Word.
However → +1 for the Folder sorted by Companies/Creator idea! This is definatly something I need to.

only the possibility of creating a “favourite” effects…

right clic on the vst and “add to favourites”

:)