Getting A Good Thick Rammstein Sounding Distortion On Guitar?

Is it possible to do this with Renoises native effects? I’m writing this tune and the guitar tone still sounds bluesy. Is their anyway of getting around having to buy a amp simulator like Guitar Rig? I want it to sound really tankey like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4K6ZxDwi34

I’m not a big Rammstein fan but the guitar tone is excellent.

With a percent of probability of 99.9% I will say no. How do you plan to emulate is with native effects? What will be the source sample for it?
I googled in one minute and found this:

Virtual Guitarist 2 it says for the VSTi.

And I may tell you a simple secret, if you are not serious about music, than torrents save the day. For all the people who just wanna jam in their bedroom and maybe after that upload the results to Soundcloud torrents solve all their VSTi needs.

So why would you wanna buy something to give it a try? It’s 2012. Download it for free. If you are trying to emulate the sound you need, without buying the VSTi it’s most likely you don’t have the money for that, or don’t see it worth the money for one track. If you are serious about your music, you already would have bought the VSTi without this topic.

The only tool that is a must is Renoise. The DAW. All the bonuses should be free for the jamming people. Because I am sure, that all the modern for example dubstep setups would cost a few thousands dollars. Alot for «wannabe a dubstep master»!

if your recording guitar yourself try grouping a couple of tracks together and place a different amp+cab on each track, and blend them, + eq and compression. thats not a so hard sound to get…its just really layered…

and dont forget, the pickups in their guitars (and wood) will all be top of the range, a cheap tinny guitar will take a bit of work to boost up…but wonders can be done.

That’s kind of like saying if a person was serious about getting to work, then they’d just buy a car.

Hey man thanks, thats good advice. I’ll try that out. I definantly know how pick ups will affect the sound. My fretless bass has a piezzo pickup in the bridge. It’s fantastic. It adds all this extra low end and presence, sounds beautiful. So you can do a lot with the tone and add some low end boosts. Only problem is when you do that when recording, it totally clips on the B String every time. Very frustating because it’s essentially impossible to get the tone that I normally use.

Well, that’s another story. It’s hardly applicable to software.

You haven’t said you HAVE an electric guitar. So I guessed, that you were trying to emulate the guitar with VSTi.

Well, even if you have it, I guess if there are freeware VST guitar amps, they won’t give fat sound like in Rammstein example. Expensive hardware equipment and audio engineer in the studio does it thing for the guys. The virtual effect can get close to it, only if it’s a expensive commercial one. Or maybe some free VST amp will have SOME features or presets, but will lack the customization or other settings.

You know, good emulation of hardware is a tough work for a programmer. The people who finally do the algorithm that can simulate good the real amp, are interested in selling it for a good price. It’s not just another 1000th synth. This is what I noticed about music software. Free software paradigm don’t work here. Leave it to mainstream software. Synthesis and DSP are only good then the team gets enough money for the developement.

@c-blu I think you’re projecting a lot into the question that wasn’t there. He didn’t ask anything about free VSTis (or free anything), torrents… He simply asked if you can get a sound with renoise native effects.

@OP You probably need at least need a moderately-priced amp plugin like the latest amplitube or guitar rig… and even then it takes a lot of effort to layer, eq, and mix to get this sort of polished sound. But then again, some people here do stuff with the native effects that I wouldn’t have thought possible.

I wouldn’t say “it’s not a hard sound to get”. Like a lot of semi-pro/pro distinctions, I’d say - it’s not a hard sound to approximate, but it is hard to get it just right.

Yeah I figure I’m going to have to get something like Guitar Rig. I’m considering getting a Boss GT-10b though, so I have to weigh out what’s more important at the moment. I might just get Rammfire since it’s only like $60, and the kind of sound I’m looking to get for this project I’m doing is pretty specific. I’m not sure I need to get the entire Guitar Rig Pro.

Here’s the track in question. It’s still in the early infancy of development and as it stands is super messy, disorganized and unEQ’d. But you can hear the guitar and you can see how bluesy it sounds. I’m hoping I can fix it and thicken it up in Renoise with some clever EQing and effects, but I realize I may have to rerecord my friends guitar parts, and maybe even do it myself. Any advice on getting the sound cleaner, and maybe just on getting a better guitar sound is appreciated! I’m not a guitar playing, I’m a bassist, so I wanted to get somebody who know’s the instrument better then I do to do the parts:

Super early as I said. I’m only putting it up here so if anyone has any advice on how to get the guitar sounding better. Also the bass is getting lost in the mix.

Caveat- listening on laptop speakers. it sounds pretty kickass when the guitar comes in. Sortof has that nine-inch-nails band-limited-we-didn’t-record-our-guitars-properly grit to it. Rolling off a little of the low/mid end might help make it sound more crisp. It loses a bit of bite when the rhythmic parts start since you aren’t driving the amp as much at that point. At least for a few bars, you might even consider keeping this sound, it’s kind of more unique than the full-on compressed metal-overdrive sound you find in rammstein knock off bands.

I’ll just pitch in a quick ad on Kuassa Amplifikation Creme. It’s got a demo and all. I fell for that one when looking for a cheap but reasonably good sounding amp simulation. It’s pretty versatile, considering you can use your own cabinet impulses. There aren’t that many overdrive and amp simulations, but with the ones it has it does a decent job IMO. Current pricetag seemed to be 34 dollars, which ain’t that much.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!
I realized what my issue with the section was (although I still think it needs EQ). I was assuming that the problem was that the distortion wasn’t tankey enough. I realized that it wasn’t that at all, and more that the guitar wasn’t matching the slap bass that I’m playing behind it. So I changed it only hit the power chord at the beginning of the verse, and then palm mute the rest of the way. The second section I rewrote entirely. Saved the whole thing! :P

My best guess:

A highly skilled metal guitarist.
Detuned electric guitar.
EMG active humbucker pickup, bridge.
100W+ modern metal amp (Mesa or Peavy?) on high gain, fairly neutral EQ and presence, 6L6 tubes, 4x12 cab with celestian speakers.
U87 broad range condenser, right one the middle of the speaker.
1073 Neve channel strip or equivalent quality pre.
Optional in-line compression, analogue (say dbx?).
DAW running at 96khz or above 32bit or above, with reputable converters.
Layered precies takes.
Excellent mix on an excellent system in an excellent room.
Mastering of same high calibre, probably using a Manly Vari-Mu analogue compressor for the signature glue and saturation.
All the usual high end procedural stuff and connections.

Don’t. LePou Le 456 is free and an Engl Simumlation and should get you plenty of high-gain. Rammfire in my humble opinion kind of sucks on it’s own. LePou plugins easily compete with and sometimes actually beat commercial amp sims.

The HyBrit, 456 and Lecto are fantastic. Run the 456 into multiple parallel cabs (the built in ones or use LeCab 2 if you have impulses) and you’ll have a huge wall of tone.

Great tip! Thanks! :drummer:

You might want to check out Peavey’s ReValver software:

http://www.peavey.com/products/software/revalver/

Specifcally, the 6505 model - bearing in mind its one of the only software amp modellers made by an actual amplifier manufacturer.

Apparently Devin Townsend uses it and I’d say he knows a thing or two about heavy guitar sounds:

http://www.peavey.com/monitor/sub2.cfm?id=13

Still you can’t beat the real thing though - 5150/6505 or Mesa Duel Rectifier FTW!

I’m sorry but free beats $200,- anytime :lol:

PS. There is a demo available! Just run if for a few minutes and render the selection when you’re done.

All software amp sims are shite though to be fair, so yeah it’s probably not worth paying for any of them. This track was recorded in 2000 by the way, so I doubt there were any plug-ins involved.

They actually just bought Alien Connections and ReValver a few years ago. The only amp company that does software is probably Vox, which is just a front for Korg, so there you go again. ;)

Answering in the spirit of the OP, experiment with multiband send, compressor, subtle delay, distortion, and cab Sim in many combinations. Don’t worry about getting it exact, just get it big, good, and yours.

I’ve been trying to get realistic guitar sound w/o real guitar for about three years. I like sound from dry (manually turn off all builtin VSTi reverbs etc) AAS Strum Electric + some VST amp simulator (like Amplitube or GuitarRig), also doubling guitar with bass and bassdrum helps alot in thickening the sound. Here is short demo i made:

http://soundcloud.com/shorstok/vsti-guitar-demo
no recorded guitar sounds in this one :)