Great Way To Apply Swing To Patterns: Track Delays !!

While trying to make up for some plugin delay on a particular Renoise track, I was playing around with the track’s delay settings when I got the idea that perhaps track delays could be used to create swing. So I did a little test and simply placed some intended off-beat drum hits & percussive sounds on separate tracks and delayed those tracks to hear if the rhythm would start to swing, and it did, worked like a charm! So simple really, kind of made me wonder why I hadn’t thought of it before.

Just start out by moving a few kick drum hits onto corresponding lines on an empty track, delay the track some 45-55 milisecs (and do the same to as many other rhythmic elements as you like, applying various amounts of delays).
The results are totally predictable and 100% musical even when you apply extreme delays, depending only on the intended feel.

Here’s a demo pattern I did to proove my point:
http://soundcloud.com/sequenceg2/swing-pattern

Here’s the original pattern:
http://soundcloud.com/sequenceg2/regular-pattern

Also, came up with a simple way to open the big file browser without having to grab for the mouse every time: bring up the big browser with the mouse, then store the browser screen as a view preset, done! From now on just press your designated F-key and there’s your browser view, press escape and the browser minimises again.

Cool stuff.

Isn’t this a tip and trick? Not a support request?

Hi, Yes it is… beginners mistake, any way I can move it to the right location? Tried to change it afterwards in the edit window but no such option there.

Very nice groove! But may I ask how this is more beneficial that using the note delay column?

ease of use, speed probably, offset the delay value a few ms in the mixer with a few mouse clicks, or having to put in values in the delay column :wink: .

Exactly, you just click and drag the delay values up and down while the pattern is playing and you hear right away how the groove is changing, so it’s realtime control with instant feedback, that’s pretty inspirational.

And the more notes that are involved in a certain track, obviously the bigger the convenience to be able to change their timings all with a single mouse drag instead of having to enter note delays for every single one, like for a hihat track for instance. For a few notes here and there though it’s not necessarily the easiest way to go, no.

ha, simple yet great tip! thanks for sharing (:

Great tip, haven’t thought about it, but it’s quite nice idea!

Yeah, now only the option to allow track delay automatable and you can do some serious point swinging.

Or the old fashioned way of adding a small section of silence to samples you want delayed to give it a groove type feel. It’s how people used to do it a lot in the day of hardware samplers ;)

How about a tool solution in the meantime that lets you midi-map a complete tracks worth of delay value’s to one knob? Turn the knob and all values in a track change, have all tracks in a song mappable to different knobs and groove like it’s 1999.

Captain obvious to the rescue:

Automate this.

Great find, and a very old tracker trick. But it’s cool because obviously at some point this stuff hasn’t been passed along.

yeah, man. maybe somebody should post a link to the trackers handbook. remember that? there’s still a copy at http://www.modplug.com/mods/handbook/handbook.htm

i looked at it again for a bit; very archaic, but still some good stuff. really needs some huge updating. too bad about the renoise wiki. something like that really would be a super thing.

Could anyone please post a screenshot of this trick!?!

The trick is pretty simple, add track-delay values every odd or every even line, delays having a size of 33% of the total tick count (if you have max ticks at 6, delay 2, if you have set it to 12, delay 4 etc) then fill every line with a note. You will then notice how track-swing works. Feel free to experiment with the delay values or positions as you are progressing.

I thought the original poster used track delay value (used for hardware compensation, next to routing) in creating shuffles instead of pattern commands (which is old trick)?

I love this trick. Thanks.