Horizontal Pattern Sequencer.

that would probably speed by very fast

idd (=

Blender IPO Curves (Blender animation)

OMGZ that is so full of win! o_O

It kinda makes me think of an astronaut, tooā€¦ hahah?! Renoise needs to be boxed, and this needs to be the cover :D

edit: dblueā€™s image however does nothing for me.

:huh:

How about one automation window with a drop-down list of all tracks including its device chains and the user selects which track+parameters to view and which track+parameters to edit ?

Couldnā€™t the polarities be visually combined while edit functions are separate ? or would that be too confusing ?

Possibly kinda confusing, Iā€™m not sure if I understand what you mean by polarities.

I think:

:D

i should participate in photoshopping ideas :D

i have to take a look at the parameters a bit more to see if what iā€™m writing about is even viable at all. most parameters in renoise and vstā€™s are either bipolar or unipolar i believe its called. panning is bipolar and volume is unipolar for example.

what i imagined was one window to view and edit all automations where both polarites were visually combined. it would be like how it is now except the user would have the option to view track 1 & 2 volume automation while editing track 3 pan automation, in one single window. the current edited parameter would be highlighted while the other selected automation parameters would be dimmed. sort of like photoshopā€™s eye button where you can see or unsee layers.

maybe my suggestion grew out of seeing your vertical mock up of multiple automationsā€¦i immediately thought of three actions when i saw thatā€¦observe, compare, change.

Viewing automations as layers would certainly be interesting, if there could be a way to edit multiple lanes and points at once, that would be interesting.

-This is something I wish I could do with the EQ; select a few parameters and change all of them at once.

Similar to Blenderā€™s IPO Curve Editor
If it was possible to have a whole devices parameters display at once, it would essentially be empty from the start, then selecting each dsp deviceā€™s parameterā€™s blue thing would begin the automation, like how it is now.

then each automation becomes a seperate layer. I would guess trouble though when 2 points are at the same place in automation space, being able to select the correct point would be boggling with a mouse, so I guess that is where using the deviceā€™s parameter for selection comes into play.

It would be nice though to be able to select points with the mouse in this situation. as changing a bunch of parameters at once could be very quick.

^ a couple devices next to each other.

Each automation lane shown in the pattern view could also be shown in the pattern matrix, so one would get a birdā€™s eye view of whatā€™s going on in automation during a larger time frame.

In terms of just being able to edit one lane and view many lanes all in the same space, another problem would be how colors would look between view mode and edit mode in the same space, especially when combining polarities which involves ā€œline fillā€*1. Should the user select different color types for view and edit mode or should view mode be hardcoded so it doesnā€™t get in the way of edit mode. Or should it be similar to track colors (which might be toooo confusing, no ?)

So user movements would go something along the lines of automating track 1-volume, track 2-pan, track 3-ringmod freq and oscillator by selecting from the drop-down list where the user gets an overview of all tracks and dsp chains in each track. User seeā€™s whatā€™s being automated, de-views some parameters to concentrate on editing two specific parameters from different tracks while being able to compare it to another automation from a another different track.

Iā€™m doing a photoshop mock up of the concept but need to solve some visual problems first before I post itā€¦

*1 ā€œline fillā€ is located at: renoise_preferences/theme/color_settings/category/automation/automation_line_fill

may be quicker to change the hue in photoshop of the automation_line_fill

That way you donā€™t have to keep taking screen shots

researching and came across thisā€¦if deep embedding doesnā€™t work, you can skip to 3m53s.

some more research resultsā€¦this one and above from http://infosthetics.com/

yes! iā€™ve suggested this before, but with tick boxes. My idea was they would overlap in one automation window, but this idea looks more convenient (altho it would take pattern space)ā€¦ anywayz +! :o

Maybe incorporating some optical illusions to make viewing automated layers possible ?

Ehrenstein illusion

Verticalā€“horizontal illusion

3-d glasses mode plz k??? :>

I was just thinking about this a couple hours ago.

Stereoscopic 3d!

like this only with renoise:
http://earth-api-samples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/demos/stereo/stereo.html

thats amazingā€¦ :panic:
seriously do this, someone could make this surely?