How Do You Create That "bouncing Ball"effect?

thanx will check that out later tonight

Dragging the topic lake to ask if the stepper device could be of use in this? 3.1 and all.

Or even if danoise could reupload the effect!

Or even if danoise could reupload the effect!

Sorry. That file got lost somewhere in cyberspace…

And Stepper device won’t help you here - this is the sort of thing you would want as an Audio effect (Stepper is a modulation device, so just does values)

Or (bonus points!) do it in the pattern editor ** and, OHH!!, what a great idea for an xStream model **

Sorry. That file got lost somewhere in cyberspace…

And Stepper device won’t help you here - this is the sort of thing you would want as an Audio effect (Stepper is a modulation device, so just does values)

Or (bonus points!) do it in the pattern editor ** and, OHH!!, what a great idea for an xStream model **

Awwwwww, but it would have been so cool to have still :wacko:Is there some kind of automated gravity trick that can be done to the delay notes or a multi-tap or something? :blink:

Synplant has an easter egg where you name a patch “Jingle Balls” and you have a ball you can throw around.

The two main parameters for this easter egg are gravity and bumper force.

You can mess around with the synth parameters as the ball bounces around.

You can render to sample with or without notes in the pattern editor.

For granular sounds where the ball is bouncing at ludicrous speeds.

Set gravity to 100 and bumper force at 0 percent, then gradually slide the bumper force to about 97 percent.

The ball will go from not moving to moving. You can throw the ball around but I usually leave it right in the middle so it plays one note.

Getting these granular sounds layed out on a keyboard note and octave wise may take some creativity.

That looks awesome, I’ll give that a go for some unpredictable effects, thanks for the tip! Shane there isn’t some kind of built in gravity to most delays, of course force and friction can affect the bounces but basically all a delay needs is a way of putting each successive note closer than the last until the bounces reach a threshold.

You can route Synplant’s audio (preferably a sine wave) to a signal follower and mute the audio, using Synplant’s bouncing audio as modulator.

You can also look around for samples or sample yourself the falling dynamics of different types of material and use that as modulator.

If you do automate by hand, here’s a pretty good tip/school of thought…

Norman Mclaren

Luckily for you, someone already made a delay plug-in to recreate this exact sound:
http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=8

Nowadays there is a Vst for just about anything, unfortunately there isn’t a VstPlugin that gets my wife cookin.

1 Like

4 wireless midi-triggers inside ball of choise

if you’ve got the Lemur app on an android or ios device, you could just use a multiball object with adjustable physics assigned to your parameter of choice :slight_smile:

After watching that McLaren video, I decided i’m going to utilize renoise as a tool for ‘sonic animation’ - and like early animators—do it all by hand. this just kind of hit me like a revelation.

sure you could figure out a clever way to model physics, create models that define properties, much like 3D artists have crowd simulations, boids, liquid, etc… but all those concepts and tools, while mathematically interesting, generally seem to take away the human imperfections that result from crafting that same process by hand.

Pretty sure i’ve got a few albums worth of ideas from this!

1 Like

the only way i could get something that sounds good to work is using a 3rd party sampler with ability to automate the sample loop end position…

The stars aligned and somehow I was able to build an OS X 10.14 + x86 binary VST of Bram’s Bouncy as the Audio unit version on his website does not work

1 Like

exponential decay.xrnz (6.7 KB)
exponential decay reversed.xrnz (6.6 KB)

here are a couple of phrase presets that I use for exponential decay, try changing the lpb value to get different speeds. I ganked this from xstream’s exponential decay effect. Useful to have it as a phrase preset to drop on any sample. hope this helps!

4 Likes

Just wanted to add two things here, first things: there’s a more recent plugin that actually got quite in-depth with the whole exponential decay delay, it’s called Dispersion https://www.sinevibes.com/dispersion/

Second thing, is there a formula I can use to recreate such effects using Renoise commands? The information here is rather confusing to me.

this is fantastic, all of those plugins are brilliant, found some pre built, thanks for the inspiration

You can also set the Repeater to free mode and modulate the divisor with a curved envelope.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try this ! edit: sounds perfect! when used with exponential / logarithmic fill

xStream tool has ‘Exponential delay’ preset - try it on some sequences

2 Likes

Had a crack at it – might not be the most accurate, but it’s easy enough to tweak, and I tried to set it up to be musical.
bouncing.xrdp (21.3 KB)