How Do You Create That "bouncing Ball"effect?

I agree with kaneel. That would be nice.

i agree to,would be nice.

I found the bouncing-vst quite suitable for some short vocals, try it… some vocals sound pretty cool with it :)

this might be helpful. (well not really, but still cool to see)

http://hackaday.com/2009/01/07/bouncing-ba…nalog-computer/

thanx for the link,that was interesting :yeah:

Uhhhhh, wow. I want one of those, like badly (next christmas, hint hint).

there is a really easy way of doing this.just get ur sound,have two effect columns,and play around with the 09xx command and the 04xx commands at the same time.obviously do not use 09xx on the first hit or the 04xx but u cud if u wanted to go further with it.also if u look at the physics of a bouncing ball r whatever the increments of silence in between bounces gets smaller as it loses its kinetic energy.so in other words(this all depends on what lpb you are using) try a hit then then say 16 lines later another then 14 another then 12 then 10 then 8 and so on.also to do some cool shniz render a lot of bouncing patterns in different increments within a certain length,say a maximum length of 64 and offset them by different amounts u will itroduce phasing and different miniture polyrythms.i hope that makes sense.it probably doesnt…i could send u an example if u want.

Time for another bouncing ball demo :slight_smile:
This one takes advantage of the delay column; no need for a high LPB…

Download: bounce_delay.xrns (13kb)

Here’s how I calculated the precise values

First, I determined how fast the ball should accelerate (“gravity”), and the size of each bounce (“force”).
Actually, I just edited the pattern until I had something that sounded right…It turned out, that having the ball bounce at line 0, line 4, and then line 7 sounded about right.

With the first few lines in place, it was a question of extrapolating that information, so I could figure out where the next line was going to be (I could tell that it would be ‘inbetween’ lines, but with the new delay column, that would not be a problem).

Back to the extrapolating: looking at the pattern so far, the distance between each line is reduces by 25% with each bounce. So, it became a question of taking the last value, and reducing that by 25%, repeating the process until a reasonable “end value” was reached (small enough to sound like the ball comes to a rest).

This is the result of the extrapolation (from the 2nd note and on):

Cool, now we add them together, so we know which lines we are dealing with:

Now we are almost ready to enter those bouncing balls into Renoise.

The fractional part (the value behind the dot) is converted to a hexidecimal delay value, going from 0-255. This means that the fourth value (9.25) is entered into line 9, and with a delay-column value of 40

Of course, this is just one way of doing it. There are many possible variations!

i don’t think its necessary to calculate anything for creating something similar.
and i think with the addition of “LPB” it’s possible to create very nice retrig-effects.

i think this comes close to the afx thing.

realbounce.xrns

thanx will check that out later tonight

Dragging the topic lake to ask if the stepper device could be of use in this? 3.1 and all.

Or even if danoise could reupload the effect!

Or even if danoise could reupload the effect!

Sorry. That file got lost somewhere in cyberspace…

And Stepper device won’t help you here - this is the sort of thing you would want as an Audio effect (Stepper is a modulation device, so just does values)

Or (bonus points!) do it in the pattern editor ** and, OHH!!, what a great idea for an xStream model **

Sorry. That file got lost somewhere in cyberspace…

And Stepper device won’t help you here - this is the sort of thing you would want as an Audio effect (Stepper is a modulation device, so just does values)

Or (bonus points!) do it in the pattern editor ** and, OHH!!, what a great idea for an xStream model **

Awwwwww, but it would have been so cool to have still :wacko:Is there some kind of automated gravity trick that can be done to the delay notes or a multi-tap or something? :blink:

Synplant has an easter egg where you name a patch “Jingle Balls” and you have a ball you can throw around.

The two main parameters for this easter egg are gravity and bumper force.

You can mess around with the synth parameters as the ball bounces around.

You can render to sample with or without notes in the pattern editor.

For granular sounds where the ball is bouncing at ludicrous speeds.

Set gravity to 100 and bumper force at 0 percent, then gradually slide the bumper force to about 97 percent.

The ball will go from not moving to moving. You can throw the ball around but I usually leave it right in the middle so it plays one note.

Getting these granular sounds layed out on a keyboard note and octave wise may take some creativity.

That looks awesome, I’ll give that a go for some unpredictable effects, thanks for the tip! Shane there isn’t some kind of built in gravity to most delays, of course force and friction can affect the bounces but basically all a delay needs is a way of putting each successive note closer than the last until the bounces reach a threshold.

You can route Synplant’s audio (preferably a sine wave) to a signal follower and mute the audio, using Synplant’s bouncing audio as modulator.

You can also look around for samples or sample yourself the falling dynamics of different types of material and use that as modulator.

If you do automate by hand, here’s a pretty good tip/school of thought…

Norman Mclaren

Luckily for you, someone already made a delay plug-in to recreate this exact sound:
http://bram.smartelectronix.com/plugins.php?id=8

Nowadays there is a Vst for just about anything, unfortunately there isn’t a VstPlugin that gets my wife cookin.

1 Like

4 wireless midi-triggers inside ball of choise

if you’ve got the Lemur app on an android or ios device, you could just use a multiball object with adjustable physics assigned to your parameter of choice :slight_smile: