How to add effect commands + interpolate, more than one note-per-line?

How do you add effect commands and/or interpolate with more note on one line at a time playing linearly (one after the other)?

If you have more than one sample/note on a line (not at the same time, either from using the fractional notes tool or from the slice to pattern tool so one plays after the other [or any other ways that notes play one after another when they’re on the same line]), if it is possible at all, how do you put in commands for each note separately? So if you want to you pitch up Uxx, or pitch down Dxx for one note on that line, but not others, how do you do this?

Similarly, if it is possible, how do you interpolate panning/volume/etc for notes when you have more than one on the same line? (have attempted but no luck so far).

(I asked this with a bunch of questions, but no luck on an answer so far, possibly due to multiple questions being asked at once, so I’m going to ask them individually and then post developments/solved-issues (in red) that may benefit newbies on my beginners thread)

I read that original thread, and this was the question I found to be the hardest one to understand.

I guess you are talking about notes that have somehow been squashed in time, making them appear in multiple note columns and/or with note delays? I don’t use the fractional notes tool much, but I do know what it does.

Rule of thumb: if you can apply the effect in the volume or panning column, do it there - then you’ll not have to worry about all notes in the track being affected by the command.
This is true for Dxx and Uxx, they are both supported and the same is true for Cx/Bx/Gx/Qx/Rx/Yx/Ix/Ox - did I forget something here :lol:

But generally speaking, you are going into tracker ninja territory when trying to compress notes as much as possible…
Perhaps putting some things into a phrase (having an independent LPB from the main timeline) would be an option too?

Cheers for the reply. :)/> My specific Qs asked in attached pictures.

Basically, the reason I am attracted to trackers/renoise is for tight, per event automation, and high resolution editing. My intention is to use it as an epic sampler/drum-machine :drummer: with additional bonus features for interesting melody/fx too.

In a regular piano roll DAW, after you’ve set up your 1/4 or 1/8 beat (on the grid/quantized), for say a standard drum and bass kick snare… kick snare, if you want to then add some higher resolution 1/32 1/64 (grid/quantize) notes you can just change the grid size for higher resolution input (BUT, obviously, these DAWs don’t have the same per note event abilities of trackers (to go up in pitch/pan differently/vol/vel per event) which is why I have come to renoise). However, if you do the same in renoise (as far as I can tell), set up a simple rhythm but then want to add higher res rhythms, changing the lines per beat effects the notes you have already selected making them faster/slower (I’m guessing there’s a way to set it up/a select track/selection command that can avoid this, but, that’s not exactly what I’m looking for here [though, I’d still appreciate to know how to do this]).

So, these tools, the fractional tool and the other lines per beat increase tools are great (as well as retrigger, but as asked in my other post [I may post the same q here as it’s in line with what I’m looking to do] you can’t seem to have volume/pan/pitch alterations between the start and end of a retrigger event), but, not being able to edit these individual notes, or interpolate them is of course limiting (unless you can, which is what I’m trying to achieve :) ).

I COULD use more lines per beat in general, but, as I said, what I’m looking for is just to be able to add higher resolution notes occasionally into otherwise low resolution 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/16 (quantized/grid) drum rhythms. It’s much easier to work out this way and is quicker in general (to me anyway) for workflow.

I don’t know about note delays, but yes to the first part. Anything that involves multiple notes per line (also, to be able to change pitch/vol/vel/pan during a retrigger event would achieve the same effect too [apart from being able to go up and down with pitch per notes]).

Yes, for the pan/vol/delay columns I can do this, BUT, I can’t (yet) seem to interpolate the information as I usually would be able to if interpolating with one note on each line after another (interpolating being a quick aide to the workflow).

I don’t know what you mean here. Could you elaborate?

:ph34r: Tracker ninja, nice.

I don’t know what you mean here either, but it sounds interesting. Could you explain?

Thank you for the advice so far. :yeah: :D

For interpolation to work, your pattern editor selection must begin exactly on one value, and end exactly on another value, and there must be at least 3 selected pattern lines to work with — there must be room for the newly interpolated values to exist, after all.

It is possible to interpolate over multiple notes, tracks, etc., but in all cases your selection must precisely cover the start and end values you wish to work with. The interpolation function will then fill in the gaps in between.

For example, the following selections are not valid, and will be ignored by interpolation:
5035 renoise-interpolate-bad.png

However, the following situation will work just fine:
5034 renoise-interpolate-good.png

Yes, I can see that there needs to be at least 3 event/notes/values, but, the problem I’m having is when these notes/values play on one line horizontally, an effect that your tools [which are a great addition by the way (as well as the glitch plugins to the production world in general, much kudos :yeah:/> :drummer:/> )] can produce.
So far example in this first image, I have selected more than 3 events/notes to interpolate, but I can’t (yet) interpolate them horizontally. I know you said you need 3 selected pattern lines, but, is there a way to interpolate notes/events that are on the same line?

Thank you for the support/advice so far. :yeah:/>

So, I didn’t know that you could do this (in the first two images) (as you have pointed out [so cheers for that, I can see useful effects coming out of it]), but the problem is that I can only get renoise to interpolate vertically/per line, but not horizontally, per note. 5037 Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 19.01.19.png

What I want to do is interpolate like this: 5039 Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 19.00.15.png (that I have input manually) so the interpolation is one note after another, working linearly in time across the whole selection, rather than vertically just through the columns/lines.

Is there any way to achieve this?

This is not currently possible in native Renoise. The pattern commands are really only designed to work in their own vertical columns, so it only makes sense for the interpolation to treat them in that way.

However, someone could relatively easily create a Lua tool to do the type of special interpolations you have in mind.

Dayyym. But, yeah, that makes sense. An additional “interpolate linear notes/events” would be a great addition, natively or as a tool.

Well, that’s encouraging. As above, it would be an awesome addition (to my workflow anyway). This makes me want to learn how to code, etc, so I can achieve stuff like this, but I just don’t have time :confused: (atm).

I will put a suggestion in the tools/feature requests area. :)/>

Similarly, how about the second question: Is it possible to have specific sample commands (Uxx, Dxx etc) for individual notes on one line? So, for example, from left to right/linearly: Note 1-UA0, Note 2-DA0, Note 3-UC0, etc?

Many of the commands can also be entered into the note’s volume or panning column, to apply them on a per-note basis. Just make sure you have the necessary columns visible by toggling them in the pattern editor control panel, or by using the appropriate keyboard shortcut.

A small downside to using the volume/panning column for commands is that the command resolution is somewhat reduced. For example, Uxx in the normal effect column has 2 digits to work with, but Ux in the volume/panning column only has 1 digit to work with. The exact impact of this varies from effect to effect, but with the pitch commands Ux/Dx it means that the note is pitched by x semitones in one line.

Check the pattern command reference to see which commands work in the volume and panning column:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Effect_Commands#Volume_Column

Ok, that’s useful. The only problem here is with not then being able to edit (in the pattern editor) volume, as I’m assuming/from having a look at the manual it doesn’t seem that you can create multiple volume columns. Though, you could automate this in the automation lane.

There are workarounds for what I want to do, for example by using the automation lanes for volume and external plugins to control pitch/panning etc, but, as (you must be) a fellow glitching enthusiast, I’m sure you can appreciate the desire for more control/capability and quicker workflow.

Thank you for the contribution to the thread and to the glitching world at large, I salute you