How to polyrhythm

polyrythm.xrns (42.5 KB)

Hi,

on another topic, some people asked about how to achieve polyrhythm (like TRUE polyrhythm, not polymeters). Which means having any type of tuplets over a straight 4/4

Which means that when a straight plays 4 quarter notes, you can have 3, 5, 7, 11 23 or any number of beats evenly distributed during the same bar

It gives a weird feeling of being on time and completely off.

It’s very easily done in renoise by creating a phrase and setting the LPB (line per beat) parameter to the desired subdivision. Be careful : the LPB is located right above the modwheel/pitchwheel of the virtual keyboard, NOT TO BE CONFUSED with “step length” on the lower left corner.

On my example:
Track 1 plays a straight 4/4 (to contrast with the polyrhythm)
Track 2 has 5 phrases :
1 : 3/4 (3:4 over 4:4 is extremely common in pop music, can be achieved with any DAW),
2 : 5:4,
3 : 7:4
4: 11:4
5: 21:4 (yeah, that means that when a standard bar plays 4 quarter notes… this one plays 21 even notes)

Of course, this works exactly the same in redux

Have fun

8 Likes

Thanks a lot

23hat

Just to point out that you may have uncovered a redraw bug in Renoise 3.2 with phrases. If you switch between the phrases, the lpb mark lines on the phrase doesn’t refresh/draw correctly (until you force a full refresh i.e. switch away from Renoise or min/max the Renoise window). For example switching between a 4 lpb and 12 lpb phrase you can get:
badlpb

I’ve noticed something weird indeed, you might wanna open a thread on the bug forum :smiley: