What can Renoise do that Ableton can't?

yeah, well, of course you can manually do anything.

But it’s not really built in

1 Like

what’s not built-in sorry? you can achieve this in Live without external tools :slight_smile:

It’s very different to be able to have perfectly placed polyrhythms with a text box

and painstakingly positioning notes manually. Which is close to impossible for very complex rhythms (please give me an example of a 23/8 hat over a 8/8 snare)

1 Like

@Tumulte
text box? what are you talking about?
you should take 2 clips one should be 4/4 and other 23/8 and play them together and what’s the issue here?
you can individually edit clip length, time etc if you didn’t know?

It would be nice to provide some examples of this.A Renoise project file would be good for me and others that can’t understand without a visual feedback.Thanks.

1 Like

Here you go. Polyrhythm tutorial with example.

(can’t be done in Live. Not that easily)

7 Likes

Great thanks

It seems that the OP asked what Renoise (the company) can do that Ableton (not “Live”, their product) can’t.

3 Likes

T!KTAK :grin:

can’t be done or can it be? decide already

its great you mention the two programs which feature a bottom screen strip where fx are added, that can’t be dragged up or down. you’re locked into this safe space i equate to a russian gulag.

good lord… you must be fun at parties… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Fact, ableton redux & erosion need updates so bad.

1 Like

Using Renoise is pure fun, like a simcity for sound.
Ableton is more like microsoft word imho :troll:

Renoise can save you from getting an RSI from using a mouse all the time :smiley:

I think for the most part, you can achieve almost the exact same audio renders from any modern DAW. However, I think in terms of workflow, that Renoise feels highly specialized and extremely fast at working in the way it’s designed to be used. Ableton, to me, feels more generalized. I absolutely love Renoise’s UX, and the way of working using the keyboard, commands, etc… the whole program just feels so creative. Ableton feels more clinical to me, and I just have no desire to use it these days.

2 Likes

How about automation curves? They were a pain in the ass in Live some years ago. Are rounded curves now possible? Will you have to redesign every point manually to avoid stepping?

1 Like

Colour themes - navigation by keyboard . Beats Ableton. Beats everyone.

force you to come up with hacky, creative, convoluted solutions to things you can do easily in other daws… :upside_down_face:

with the upshot being that you get more creative with problem solving & lateral thinking

plus that shit’s fun

3 Likes

Screenshot 2022-08-27 at 20.17.42
not sure about past, but now those are easy as alt+drag between points to adjust curve

true, but sometimes totally opposite - as it depends of your approach to making music/ working in daw… do you want problem-solving approach… music-making… simple playing & overdubbing… tracking… experimenting with cv… etc