I Can'T Do It :'(.

If after watching the beginners tutorial you still can’t get a sound in a pattern than maybe making music in Renoise isn’t for you and you should take up another hobby :lol: , but maybe you’re thinking squarepusher beats or something?

Why not start off simple with pre-cut, 1 bar loops, use the default pattern length of 64 where 4 beat loops of 16 steps each fit in nice and smooth. The sync button in the sample tab of the instrument settings is your friend, than spice the programming up to get acquainted with different rhythems.

That’s quite the thing:start with something simple and then experiment with that, when you start experimenting with the things that you can grasp easily, questions might come up, ask those here and you get more valuable tips.
That is the way grow:do the simple things first and expand on it, then you find out what you need in specific and if you can’t figure out how to do that specific part, we are much more able to give you a good hand in this.

you’re sexy
verry easy understandable pitch command , a value of zero inherits the values inserted beforehand
http://www.box.net/shared/55h3jokd8h

I have the same problem. But I save everything I make even if it’s just one pattern and sound like… not so good. Then days/weeks/months later when I go through my library I take ideas/riffs from different files and use them in together with another idea/riff. slowly I build up songs that way. Maybe not the fastest way, but at least I get something out of Renoise.

Needless to say, I have quite alot of one pattern ideas laying around. :confused:

It is all about sequencing…Notes in time and space…Renoise is a sequencer and sequencers come in different forms. More or less sophisticated.
If you’re on Windows or Mac, go here: http://defectiverecords.com/ and download a trial of M-185 and download this nice simple bass: http://www.yohng.com/software/bass.html
M-185 is monophonic, it will play one note at a time, or any one note out of 128 different sounds from a sampler.
Renoise is [sequencer-wise] M-185 times X.
On KVR there are also drum modules [without sequencer]! and you can sequence drums into M-185

See what you come up with, just making up melodies or rhythms, and above all: HAVE FUN :drummer:

what easruoho said.

when learning about something you do not know, you will come across stuff you don’t understand. just keep on moving. i cannot believe you actually say you ‘got stuck’ at a certain point in the video. just ignore that shit, and do the stuff you CAN do.

now, what peaks my interest is that, in the entire forumthread, you have gotten lots and lots of really good and useful advice, to which you did not reply. however, when someone suggests you watch a certain video which you already saw, you immediately jump in to again remind us how you just can’t do it and you are a failure and blah blah blah. this makes me feel your behaviour is currently more attention-seeking than constructive. say your thanks to all who gave their advice here, suck up your failures, stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself and get to work. if you don’t like that, stop using Renoise, go do something else, maybe for a couple of days, weeks, months, years, or maybe forever. you will not get to where you want to be through constant whining.

lol

load this up

https://sites.google.com/site/101010renoise/files/xrns/ourstep-upload.xrns
read the comment and just mess around with it paying attention:
to what you are doing,
what’s happening on screen and
happening in the sound that’s coming out.

since I made it, I can can tell you exactly what I was doing in it, so if you have any questions: post here.

then anyone else that might have your questions about it or their own questions about it or something about something related, they can post here too. then it will be in the logged into the existence of man-kinds entire known and documented history.

What funkyspacecadet said!!

plus… just get a few drum samples to start with. I usually cut out a loop or sth from a song I like (with audacity), slice the drums, find out where they are (which notes on the virtual keyboard)… and like most said, start with kick snare hihat. a really basic scheme to start with:

KICK |HIHAT |SNARE  
C-400 |C-401 |  
 |C-401 |  
 |C-401 |C-402  
 |C-401 |  
 |C-401 |  
C-400 |C-401 |  
 |C-401 |C-402  
 |C-401 |  

for instance if you have kick sample on inst 00, hh on 01, snare on 02. set this to 100 bpm, 2 lines per beat and you can press space and hear a very easy cheesy beat. :)

just remember that almost every pattern you make will start with kick, and you will almost always want to keep rhythm intact by putting snares on the 3 and 7 (in 2 lines per beat mode) or 5 and 13 (normal, 4 lines/beat mode) - repeat. make it more interesting by putting some harmony in, get that Adventure Kid WaveForm pack and put some synths in :) throw some choruses and delays and hear back what you make.
also… if you want to record the drums or other key instruments while playing it can be handy to set the precount metronome and possibly turn on the quantize.

I’d love to know when the original poster last checked this thread…

i was just about to say something along those lines. the lack of response from his side seems to fit the pattern i described somewhere above, and only goes to show how much this is about attention-seeking behavior rather than the desire to learn.

seeing the amount of proper and useful advice given in this thread, this is growing to be more of a general ‘what to do when you feel like giving up’ thread for disillusioned users, instead of a help-thread for the original poster.

Last Active: Today, 07:56 AM – Maybe he’s overwhelmed by all the ideas here. Or after a short read just composing like hell now. :yeah:

Which doesn’t hurt. ;)

Indeed. I hope it’s at least some help for those users who are coming from google search. :)

Nah… he left the forum. =(

Hi, I have a question on how, (and into what instrument) did you load all those samples?
I can use a sampler from Reaktor, but I would like to know how Renoise does this…
And, how can I put them (samples) into the Renoise library? Any tips and tricks on samples are welcome.
TIA

each instrument is holding the samples.

so over in the top right corner in the “Sampler” you have bass, kicks, snares.

each one of those are the instruments.

all you have to do then to make instruments with a bunch of samples like that,
is select an empty instrument slot like 05 with nothing to the right of it.
Just make a selection in disk browser and then drag n drop a selection onto that instrument slot.
(remember to choose the instrument slot first)

it’s the idea of a box in a box in a box in a box.

In this case it’s instrument slot to >> instrument, to >> sample slot to >> sample.

the samples I used came from here:

Linked to us by Heuristics in this thread:

also if you want to have just the instrument so you can load it into other tunes.
you need to select the instrument, then save it as something.xrni.
then you can load it into other tunes.

Thanx for your time and explanation…
You had me really puzzled for a while, because I was trying to drag the samples to the ‘file panel’ (far right upper window), and it would only take one sample at a time…until I tried to drag the samples into Sampler Keyzone, (after selecting an instrument,empty slot, bass)…then it worked.(That’s it, right?)…still re-reading your post makes me wonder :unsure:
Appreciate it, you saved me some time.
cheers

you def got me there, drag n dropping into the Sampler Keyzone or the sample properties thing at the bottom is what I should have wrote.

Well I drag them all over the place, and the only place where they ‘worked’ was in the sampler zone, just wasn’t sure and thanx for the link to the samples.
Best, ^_^