I cant figure out how to change the pitch of my amen break on renoise,

Before you say UXX/DXX, don’t. That slides the pitch. I don’t want that, i want to know how to directly change the pitch of my amen break.

Its a chopped drumloop so i cant play singular notes on the keyboard because i feel that makes my instruments/samples box thingy in the upper cluttered with snares and kicks and it is just too messy.

Does anyone have any idea how i can do this? I’ve had renoise for a good while now and this is the only thing preventing me from making music.

Play them at note other than C3?

Unless you allocated individual samples to particular notes, then maybe use Transposing in instrument tab?

i want to know how to directly change the pitch of my amen break.

First of all: Renoise has no realtime pitch/tempo stretching. It’s pure and raw samples. So the solution is old-fashioned, but Renoise offers a nice workflow for it.

You didn’t mention if you have sliced the amen - but disliking having everything as individual instruments sure sounds like slicing?
What I would do then is to use the “slice to phrase” feature of the waveform editor (right-click waveform) and voila, you get an amen phrase which you can tempo adjust.

Playing things faster should already sound pretty good. If not, adjust slices, repeat and rinse. The trick to playing slower is to manually loop each slice. Be creative, use ping pong looping and make them into weird miniature rhythms of their own if you want.

Next, switch the phrase to sample columns mode (CTRL/CMD+SHIFT+K) and you can play the phrase in any pitch too.

Or in other words, pitch and tempo are now independant from each other.

1 Like

Before you say UXX/DXX, don’t. …

Not sure what you mean by that but anyways I was wondering similar things today, UXX/DXX ?

(And I was also trying to wrap my head around on pitched amen breaks on reggae remix , but yeah -->)

Some image just in track view:

7054 ttrrk2.gif

Just add more accuracy to the SXX of the sample in Track in Pattern mode and use Expand and Ctrl + B, Ctrl + E to set selection and Ctrl + I to interpolate the values of SXX. Not realtimeplayable, hmm. maybe use slices and render to samples on this somehow to keyjazz this realtime,

or sometimes I use LADSPA Rubber Band Pitch Shifter on Linux or MadShifta VST on Win to realtime keytrack and animate the keys somehow : /

Play them at note other than C3?

Unless you allocated individual samples to particular notes, then maybe use Transposing in instrument tab?

I said that im using a chopped sample, so yeah, the samples are allocated to particular notes on my keyboard

I have tried using the transposing function but it seems to just move it down (for example, instead of changing the pitch it changes a snare to a ride or a kick, or a ride to a snare or a kick etc)

First of all: Renoise has no realtime pitch/tempo stretching. It’s pure and raw samples. So the solution is old-fashioned, but Renoise offers a nice workflow for it.

You didn’t mention if you have sliced the amen - but disliking having everything as individual instruments sure sounds like slicing?
What I would do then is to use the “slice to phrase” feature of the waveform editor (right-click waveform) and voila, you get an amen phrase which you can tempo adjust.

Playing things faster should already sound pretty good. If not, adjust slices, repeat and rinse. The trick to playing slower is to manually loop each slice. Be creative, use ping pong looping and make them into weird miniature rhythms of their own if you want.

Next, switch the phrase to sample columns mode (CTRL/CMD+SHIFT+K) and you can play the phrase in any pitch too.

Or in other words, pitch and tempo are now independant from each other.

I did mention it, its a chopped sample (sliced) on every kick, snare, ghost snare, crash and ride. They’re located to keys on my keyboard which is why i cant just play a snare and pitch shift it up or down with my keyboard.

About the slice to phrase thing, i cant find it. Im in the sample editor and im right clicking but i dont see any ‘Slice to phrase’ option. I’m using version 2.8.0 incase that matters (i find it more comfortable)

Look into pitch modulation.

You can make an extra modulation set with an “operand” at the pitch graph, define the range you want to go up and down, and then define a range within this when you map it onto a macro. You will then need an instrument macro device in a track, and automate it or use the fx parameter pattern comands (right click the macro in the device in track to get the corresponding fx comand into current pattern pos). Like this you can pitch the samples associated with that modulation set. Samples/slices not associated won’t be pitched, which is neat i.e. to only pitch a snare or so.

Downside is you might need to take together some care and wits to get the desired pitches with the fx commands in pattern data, but it is possible, ask if you want a solution for a specific setup. And each pitch modulation will eat one macro of the 8 possible for an instrument.

1 Like

I’m using version 2.8.0 incase that matters (i find it more comfortable)

I think phrases/pitch modulation sets/instrument macros etc were introduced in Renoise V3+?

ah ok didn’t see that, look into upgrading to or at least trying out 3.0 or 3.1 then. the new features should be worth the hassle and the “having to get used to” panic.

I started with 3.0, so I’ve never really seen 2.8 in action, sorry.

Depending on how long your break is, and how many slices it’s chopped into, you can probably get away with spreading each slice/keyzone out over a wider range of notes.

For example, you could map each slice over a full octave, or half an octave, instead of just a single note, giving you room to do cool pitched snare rolls or whatever else you fancy.

Check out this demo song I posted in another very similar thread several years ago:

7055 dblue-amen-pitched.xrns

I did mention it, its a chopped sample (sliced) on every kick, snare, ghost snare, crash and ride. They’re located to keys on my keyboard which is why i cant just play a snare and pitch shift it up or down with my keyboard.

Don’t forget to use’destructively render slices’ option.

Once add your slice markers to the drum loop, right click on the waveform, navigate down the pop-up menu to ‘slices’, hover over it and then select ‘destructively render slices’. This will turn all your slices into individual samples up in the sample box on the left hand. All your slices will then be deleted from the original waveform and you will now have the original complete drum loop at note C4, along with the smaller sliced up sections at note C#4 and onwards. These can then be mapped across the keyzones like dblue was saying. If you don’t use’destructively render slices’ then you can’t map the samples across the keyzones to affect to affect their pitch and speed.

That’s the way I’ve been doing it anyway.

Mapping the slices across octaves will of course affect the pitch but it will also affect the speed of playback. So playing the sample at an octave higher will make it play at twice the speed. If you want to change the pitch the without affecting the speed you’re gonna have to download an external plug-in which will do time-stretching so the original length is retained while the pitch is shifted. Rubberband is a pretty good one, I’ll put a downloadable file of it at the end of this message. It’ll do what you what in terms of pitch-shifting and time-stretching. However it’s a destructive process, so once you apply it you can only undo the process with ctrl+Z on windows, or cmnd+Z on mac.

If you are using a mac there should be an AudioUnit plugin called AUPitch that will work for you as well. It’s the same as Rubberband, but because it’s a plugin it’s not destructive and can be turned on and off. So it could be automated to create rapid changes in pitch if you wanted to.

Both of these will pitch-shift but keep the sample length the same.

Beyond that again is a program called CDP Composers Desktop Project: [http://www.composersdesktop.com/]which can do some more advanced stuff. Although it takes some investment to learn the program, but it’s powerful and fun to mess around with.

Anyway that’s my two cents, hope it helped.

Edit: Cant upload Rubberband the file size is over the limit. Here’s a link to the download page.https://www.renoise.com/tools/rubberband-timestretch-pitch-shift It’s got versions from Renoise 2.7 onwards

About the slice to phrase thing, i cant find it. Im in the sample editor and im right clicking but i dont see any ‘Slice to phrase’ option. I’m using version 2.8.0 incase that matters (i find it more comfortable)

Ah yes, then my advice is pretty useless. Phrases appeared in 3.0, sample columns and render to phrases in 3.1.

You can still achieve the same kind of results in 2.8, but the workflow is different. You will have to spread your samples all over the instr. list., or be very specific with keyzones like suggested by dblue and Redman.

I noticed that in the example .xrns file dblue posted that the last hit in the break is in the C-9 - B-9 keyzone, but the octave setting in the transport panel only goes up to 8? I have been using Renoise for only a year or so now, but I feel like I am missing something easy here in regards to triggering that keyzone.

I feel like I am missing something

Set octave to 8

Z triggers C-8

Q triggers C-9

Etc.

See: Playing Notes with the Computer Keyboard

turn the ticks per beat down to 1 and use UXX/DXX? that’s what i do. then i have a high LPB to compensate

Set octave to 8

Z triggers C-8

Q triggers C-9

Etc.

See: Playing Notes with the Computer Keyboard

Thank you! Had a serious brainfart and did not even think of that.

change the pitch effect mode from renoise to amiga in the song options