I went from Linux to Windows and workflow gets better

Good for you :wink:

So what was the point of this thread again? Ah, change of topic title. Love Linux, but prefer Windows. Okay, dual boot?

?

1 Like

See…why you asked what is the point of this? It’s just my opinion and that’s it! Why people (linux people) always get hurt??? :thinking: Yes and I change topic because it seems that linux people get mad all the time when comparing windows and linux. :thinking:

I’m not hurt/mad, you can use Windows if you want. You can use Apple MacOSX if you want. You can use Linux if you want. It’s no problem.
Can be played on all 3 main operating systems: (and the workflow is the same on all 3 in this case)

1 Like

Awesome!! Thank you so much!! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Environment-discussion is a waste of valuable production time. Get back to work. :grinning:

5 Likes

:smiley: Yes Boss!! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

because the topic name was rather question (before edit) than opinion expression. That was the cause of confusion

yeah…my mistake…sorry about that! Have a nice weekend!! :wink: :+1:

Im curious about details, i know that uhbik 2.0 is for now windows only but linux work is in progress.

I have no time to tinker anymore, but what about a KVM-QEMU Win10 virtual machine with soundcard passthrough? Does anyne use that?

I’d love to run my DAW in a VM and to be able to do snapshots, so I never have to do plugin reinstalls.

As I often said, switching back to windows (and now mac) is the single best decision regarding audio production I’ve ever made. No real-time kernel hassle… no “class compliant mode with 1/3 of the feature available”. Everything available right away without having to use a transpiller or emulator or whatever. And overall a way more stable and solid music production environment (not to mention: all the gear, without having to check ugly wikis with a super short list of half-compatible devices.)

I was grateful back in the day to have found Renoise, it was my first ever music software on linux that “just worked”. And it was responsible for me deciding to quite linux entirely actually (because I wanted more of “it just works”.

I wish there would be more commercial plugins available also for linux in future.

As I see it (from a bit far away) it seems that linux got better in running other OS plugins… but I’ve also noticed that less and less manufacturer care about Linux. It had a bit of momentum 5 or 10 years ago, and some manufacturers tried to make “linux compatible” a selling point. Nowadays it seems that they care less and less (unless class compliant)

3 Likes

I will just say that my experience has been the opposite.

The only thing that would make me a happier Linux user is if this chicken/egg attitude of the majority of developers would change. You know, “We won’t build for Linux because market share is too low” yet how is the market going to grow if no-one builds for Linux? There is also this concern around support with commercial developers. Truth be told the majority of non-transient Linux users are tech savvy and willing to troubleshoot problems themselves if anything goes awry. As such declaring that Linux versions are provided sans support is perfectly fine for most users. u-he is a good example of this.

I am also confident that Linux is not going away anytime soon as all things considered it is the world’s most used OS, even if not on the desktop.

So anyway I am simply grateful for those developers who do support Linux and I in turn support them with my wallet, meanwhile my Windows friends are pirating most of their software :confused: go figure…

4 Likes

he only thing that would make me a happier Linux user is if this chicken/egg attitude of the majority of developers would change. You know, “We won’t build for Linux because market share is too low” yet how is the market going to grow if no-one builds for Linux?

Oh boy… I’ve been a zealous Linux Evangelist for 10 years and I can tell you the problem is way deeper than that… and there are a bunch of reasons for the steady decline of linux.

The main problem that I’ve witnessed time and time again is that everyone wants to do their little never-to-be-quite-finished project and nobody wants to improve the existing software. Even when this happens, the lead dev often have no time to manage the contributors.

Also there are basically no incentive to make anything collectively and almost zero money to fund a proper linux music environment up to current standards.

That is one of the biggest free software myth. Truth be told, an extremely small fraction of the user base has the knowledge to understand code… and only a tiny fraction of this small bunch are willing to (and have time to) debug and maintain someone else’s software. Sometimes we are lucky and a dude does that as a hobby… but if this person gets fed up: no more support or update.

I am also confident that Linux is not going away anytime soon as all things considered it is the world’s most used OS, even if not on the desktop.

That is something I’ve heard for ages but this is stretching reality quite a lot. A user-end OS has very little to do with a server OS. It’s pretty much comparing a warehouse to a house. I will probably exist for ever as this niche hacker OS (especially as a embedded OS that companies can use for free — or for DIYers) but as a consumer OS… it had a shot a few years ago, but now I can confidently say it won’t happen.

(and even if this would magically happen… people would complain it’s not “configurable enough” cause yeah… at some point, if you want a software to be good, you got to lock it down to some degree. If anyone can tweak anything : it instantly become an unusable mess. No exception.)

1 Like

these ‘hacker os’ have specific role in the pentesting facilities, they are not meant for ‘wannabe hackers’ - which tho is reality. So in first place, this is not ‘hacker os’, it’s a tool for people that do security/pentesting mostly, and do live off from it.

my 2 cents:
As a consumer - depends on what you are consuming. If you have an brief overview of what you might actually use, you have no problem. If you want every vst/au plugin on your linux, there you have a problem.
For me, linux is already a dream. Earlier we couldn’t make music on linux, except some pretty limited tools. Now, with renoise, bitwig, mixbus32c, their internal plugins… you have more than enough. The question is, do you want to just make music and use the available tools, or you want all tools, in order to make some music… I often fall for these traps but, the reality is that you have more than enough tools - the bloatware that’s coming with both windows and mac.

i just love when i install clean arch, and i see like 7-8 processes running. I can see everything that they are doing, their purpose etc. Try installing windows or mac and lookup for running stuff in the background. I really do not like idea of that, and that’s why i relate to it

1 Like

Renoise is already here. Bitwig is already here, Mixbus/32c is already here. People do make music with these softwares. Like everything in this world (speaking of plain facts)no software will be ever perfect from the perspective of technical background or whichever reason really, but the question is, can you make music with renoise as it is right now? or other tools that i’ve mentioned?
You already have stuff to make music, more than enough.
Take bitwig for example, it is really awesome, and it is also available for linux, imagine that? no emulators…

1 Like

I never said it wasn’t possible to make music on linux. However, out of the box: no decent amp sim, no decent sample library, a very limited selection of (admittedly good tho) synth, no specialized plugins (like the extremely useful audio-repair tools…)

Maybe the RT/Jack system got better… but last time I checked it was a pain (especially compared to Mac where there is literally not a single thing to do except plugging the cable).

Also, mixbus is okay… but it’s miles behind Studio one or Logic… or pretty much anything else. So: yeah music on linux is completely doable. People used to make music on 4-tracks tape machine after all… It’s just that Windows and Mac have more and simpler. And given the current organisation of music software development for linux: we won’t get a competing music production environment on Linux… ever

yes, but i’ve started point about making music and you are all of a sudden talking about ‘repairing audio’.

Bitwig amp plugin is very good. Renoise’s cabinet is decent. If you are looking for specific model, then yes, you have issues, but even with impulse responses, you can do that in renoise easily, and i see no issues

with bitwig you can make whichever synth you’ve dreamed of.
Modartt products are also available on linux, which is for me the best piano ever, period.
u-he, which you’ve mentioned… and many more…
For orchestra stuff i agree that there is a certain lack, but you could overcome that also with couple of workarounds.

Btw jack sucks on Mac, and is not working in bitwig. On linux it has no issues.
-and i do not see anything wrong with jack. It’s very useful. example: if you want audio from renoise into mixbus for example, and there is no workaround for that.

What about bitwig? and what are the exact features you are missing? or you are talking in general?

only bitwig is more than enough that you have full-fledged daw, capable of whatever you want. I do not understand your ‘competitive point’, please explain specific issues. Thank you

*note: i do not praise linux or anything, i’m just saying that you can make whichever music, in both tracker and daw, professionally mixed and mastered on linux. *

• And no, you do not need ozone plugin in order to master a song.*
2 Likes

Mate, in the day and age of untreated home-studios and remote recording… audio repair tools are pretty much as useful as EQs

Also… yeah this is the common forum rabbit hole “you say X doesn’t have Y, but if you do this, Y can almost do X”.

We don’t have the same level of expectations when it comes to sound. A lot of people were happy with the line6 pod or Renoise’s cab (which I find way more useful on a snare than on guitars BTW)… but some of us need something more higher-end like the Line6 Native or neuralDSP plugins. Also, yeah moddart is dope, but if you do orchestral music (or samba… or anything requiring v-instruments), you are screwed.

And… yeah Bitwig is okay…but it’s entirely irrelevant. You still have more tools on the other os to use in bitwig.

Jack isnt a pain in the ass to setup at all. its basically starting it… specially when using qjackctl or cadence… Also, you dont even need a rt kernel for jack… I dont know where people get that idea from… a low latency kernel works way better in my experience.

Next to that, anyone here ever thought of less is more? (-:
Specially when you don’t wanna play around with yabridge or linvst or something…

For mastering, i think the calf plugins and Jamin are actually excelent.

3 Likes

i was referencing to making music, not audio restoration in specific (which you mentioned in the first place), whereas you could also do that with some other tools than the ones you are used to.

Then treat your studio, or get a better recording? shitty recording will be shitty recording and you know it. You are obviously fixing the cause, not the root of your issue.

ok be specific if you want specific answer then. Give me material that you need to be treated and i can show you in video and explain everything. If you ignore this, you are just blablablblablabla-ing here and i won’t take you seriously further

why is bitwig irrelevant? i could say that studio one is irrelevant, and what then? Bitwig is bitwig on all 3 major platforms, i do not understand your sentence, please explain?
you actually mean that bitwig has stripped down features on linux, that are available on windows/mac? please are you serious for stating this?

and please, if you were more specific and exact, i could tell you exactly what could you do to overcome your problem with XYZ material on linux… I’ve never used vst wrapper/emulator on linux, since there are plenty of tools.

This conversation is like
you say there is no xy tool,
i say there is the xy tool,
you say next thing
i respond to next thing,
you ask new thing ignoring previous 3
i reply in every post all of those things since you ignore them actively…
very good conversation indeed

Btw, i now googled some audio restoration plugins for linux, and guess what, there they are… (never really had a need to do so)

1 Like