I would like to hear your music made with only Renoise without any plugins

I use Renoise working the ways C64 SID Trackers did (like Voicetracker 4.x as an example) and with sounds designed with stock samples in Renoise exclusively.

2 Likes

I really like the effort you put into it (also aesthetic wise).
Although i find the title a bit misleading.At first i thought you use renoise as sequencer linked somehow to a real mos sid and then send the output back to renoise.

I feel like this thread would be full of user posts if it didnā€™t have the ā€˜no pluginsā€™ rule. Very few people make Renoise without use of any plugins. So, no shock there arenā€™t that many actual songs shared in here, overall.

Yeah, I know, thereā€™s the other thread, but that one is TOO permissive, since it doesnā€™t even have Renoise as an actual requirement for sharing.

I want to hear what people do in Renoise as their primary DAW, with plugins. You know, like Mitch Murder does :slight_smile:

Then start that thread :wink:

Meh, I politely disagree - itā€™s more interesting seeing what people cobble together using just native Renoise stuff :upside_down_face:

Iā€™ll allow thatā€™s obviously just my personal preference though. Iā€™m wholly uninterested in the latest and greatest EDM beat VST for Windows and MAC or whatever, but rather am always amazed when I see what people achieve using just Renoise for sound design and mixingā€¦!

3 Likes

Funny, itā€™s quite the opposite for me. I agree with @mholloway . :slightly_smiling_face:
I would like to see the full potential of Renoise (which includes the usage of VSTs) and Iā€™m less interested in self imposed limitations and sample based stuff only (aka the stuff just like probably most of us worked in the past without the possibilities that weā€™ve got today). Of course any form of Renoise usage has its place and shows the potential of Renoise, just think about the videos by @slujr or the expansions (tools) by all those coders. Itā€™s the same DAW, but different approaches how to work. I like it that there are several options. I mean, thereā€™s even a piano roll available. WTF?! :wink:

3 Likes

Absolutely fair argument, 100%. And much respect to you and all Renoise users and varying uses thereof.

Sample based composition came late for me so I guess thatā€™s why Iā€™m more interested in the Renoise native stuff of late (my background is playing instruments, recording to tape / digital recorders, learning in studios etc). Also I grew up poor too so had to compromise a lot and just be creative with limitations haha, I guess that had an influence.

Also Iā€™m always impressed with minimalist approaches although I allow that would include a project with a low track count and only few VSTs but lots of automation and creative mixing (etc etc). Itā€™s really interesting to think about actually.

I remember being blown away when I first heard that To Record Only Water For 10 Days was a home recording done on an 8 track tape with just an SM58 for the acoustic elements or something.

2 Likes

(Actual filesize of the .xrns is 151kb. Never thought i share it online thoughā€¦)

5 Likes

Much respect to you as a singer and guitarist using Renoise. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was a kid when I started making music, so I was poor, too. Limitations were normal, so I had to be creative to get something cool out of a 4 track tracker and 8bit sample quality. But why should I continue that way if there is so much more nowadays? The creativity is still there, but the limitations are gone.Thereā€™s no reason for voluntary limitations. I want it all.

2 Likes

First one I made. I think itā€™s alright; bit repetitive but nonetheless I find I can listen to it for hours and hours without it getting to boring and whatnot so I guess thatā€™s good.

5 Likes

I just made a folder last night of 161 generative loops (8/22-12/22) that have (almost) all native plug-ins ā€“ altho some in the series use Glitch2 from Illformed.

anyhow, Iā€™m excited to share them with anyone who is interested in checking them out.
would someone recommend a good way to host and post these?

ā€¦ or is this a bad idea and should I post only one example?

I would like to get into a groove of trading xrns files with people on here. seems like a fun idea

1 Like

How big is the file? I think if itā€™s under 2mb you can upload on the forum. Dunno if that would be too tedious to break it downā€¦ This thread or the Renoise Mutant Sound and Processing Department thread are good candidates, imo.

By all means, post an example or 3 :slight_smile:

2 gb :expressionless:

i hosted it on my website , for the fanatically curious

Wow! This is incredible! Awesome chip skills! Minute thirty in and im dancing happily = )

1 Like

Oh, thatā€™s bigā€¦ (Thatā€™s what she said?)

Examples?

1 Like

Thank you kindly.

Merry Crashmas everyone! :smiley:

Edit: Oops, i seem to have posted in the wrong thread. I used plenty 3rd party plugins for this one.

7 Likes

new one. 100% renoise sound design and synthesis.
mastered in renoise, too :slight_smile:
hope you enjoy

now, on to cat stuff!

8 Likes

Good stuff and so clean

2 Likes

Thank you! Used some new mixing and mastering techniques for this one, and thought it came out sounding pretty good, although I think the balance is a little off for some of the elements. Will do another draft if it makes it to an album release

1 Like