I would like to hear your music made with only Renoise without any plugins

Excellent mix confirmed. :slightly_smiling_face:
And I gotta say, your samples are great, too. Maybe it’s kinda weird, but I like especially the sound of your hihats. The only thing I don’t like is the “wind chime” at the beginning. You’re using it in every track you make, aren’t you? :upside_down_face:

Enlighten me! What kind of “new techniques” have you found?

Sometimes repetitiveness is exactly what’s needed. I like it. I just think that almost 10 minutes is a little too long for a loop. 5 minutes max would be the better choice imho.

2 Likes

Thanks, man! Glad you liked!

might not be anything new to you, but…

I did mid/side on the master for mono below 200Hz (I usually just HP everything, but this tightened up some stray frequencies, I think) and used a new, simplified mastering chain after bouncing the mix. Less is more. I also mixed everything up fresh from zero once the song was done, which I don’t usually do, and it seemed to make a big difference in the clarity of the various elements, so I think that will be my standard practice going forward. Gave me some fresh ears on the project.

The closed hihats I moved using the track delay by about -7 or -11 ms for this track, which I think helped their transients to pop a little more in the mix. Will be trying this technique again in the future. I like how it gave the whole track a bit more of a “driving” feel.

I hear you on the “wind chime.” I did use a similar voice in the intro of my last track (fungal death shroud). It’s kind of a staple sound design element in a lot of darkpsy type shit, so it’s a good reminder not to over-rely on first instinct sound design :upside_down_face:

thanks for the listen and feedback!

3 Likes

When you say no plugins I’m assuming you mean no vst plugins? Like renoises built in devices are ok? This is all done with samples, as a general rule I don’t use vst instruments or any effects that don’t come in the box, renoise is plenty powerful so yeah. I actually have completely different bass samples for each note a lot of the time, switching between moog, generic sine waves and a real bass that I recorded a bunch of mutes and slides.

The final master mix was normalized in audacity though as I don’t like to have the renoise mix super hot. Any feedback would be appreciated, sound engineering and mixing isn’t actually my strongest suit.

9 Likes

Nice sensual tune, “quiet storm” vibes; since you asked for feedback…
snare might be a bit sharp for the mood.

Modular, one hand drawn impulse sample based setup - Digital Rain. Trying to simulate the sound of rain using Delays, Reverb, LFO modulations, and Y effect in Phrases.
DigitalGlitchRain2023.xrns (7.6 KB)

1 Like

5 Likes

a remix I did recently for another psy producer. all renoise, ofc!

3 Likes

Most psy trance producers rehash the same old ideas and I get bored easily.The thing I like about you is that although you use a lot of the same elements you don’t restrict yourself to the same old stuff,you do your own thing and I personally don’t think you are a psy trance producer.I can’t name the genre you belong to, but who cares if the music is good anyway?

2 Likes

This would be a good epitaph :headstone::blush:

And… Thanks!

2 Likes

my files is too big, we need a good server to post these on,.i’m a new convert to sample only songs. if you think of it like software, they are cross platform just like renoise, it makes it so much easier to share xrns songs between people. lets get a server going to host them on, Ill help pay. …samples only!

Hurray !
New 10 tracks album released on bandcamp, almost completly made in Bitwig, I used Redux tho, and some breaks has been worked in renoise…

4 Likes

Sound fucking mental/awesome. Can you provide a like the Bandcamp oage for this?

Added a bandcamp link in original post… Thanks for the comment !

I’m in the wrong thread…
This post and previous should have been in :

My bad…

3 Likes

Straight fire, as usual from you!
Dope :fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Love it! Stupid question: why Bitwig?

2 Likes

Thanks !!
Why Bitwig?

Some points:

• It’s modulation system allows a deep, complex control and fine tuning of params. It’s so much fun when you set up a satisfying patch and adding VCV rack to that is a literal godmode.
  • Drag and drop tracks/instruments setups between projects.
  • Possibility to have samplers nested in a drum machine allowing many breaks in one sampler (with break selection control and adding the modulations I want).
  • The ability to force harmonization of tracks using devices and MIDI receives.

But Bitwig needs further dev. in many aspect :

• I still can’t just use the keyboard as much as I do in Renoise…many functions don’t have keyboard shortcuts in Bitwig.
  • The sampler, can’t timestrech/wrap to tempo as do Live’s one.
  • I would like to have the MIDI comping like they did with audio comping : what you record is stored in a container that can be cut and be use for montage by selecting chunks of what as been recorded takes over takes.
1 Like

Simple Drill Beat I just uploaded.

2 Likes

Nice man, chill vibes but the drums knock hard.

1 Like

Here’s another drill beat :grin: all Renoise baby. These are some of my first ones before I got used to the pattern fx

1 Like

A simple flute drill beat. I’m telling you Renoise is a monster when it comes to Drill