I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

I had the same thing last time. Maybe some bots?

It doesn’t surprise me if that’s the case.

Some of it are from previous tracks, just mixed and arranged a bit differently.

Its not atonal, its just chromatic lol.

1 Like

chromattic:
relating to or using notes not belonging to the diatonic scale of the key in which a passage is written.

atonal:
music may be written by obscuring tonal structures or by ignoring conventional harmonies altogether.

It’s funny really. ‘A crooked note’ . In relation to what?. It’s a personal preference as to what scale or note someone wants to hear.
For me, there’s a occasional veer in the pads where the bass notes just shouldn’t have been anything else. It’s an analogue 16 step sequencer after all.

I’m just happy with it in that it’s a good piss take of ‘Chariots Of Fire’.

@Lneheb “все в порядке, я просто умер” is lovely clear sounding breakcore. That little bell-ish melody that comes in around 1:20 or so is cute & sweet, I like it. Excellent sound design. Well done.

Your “…when death will set me free” is also very lovely. The second part has a lot energy with that repeating motif flowing over it and the delayed chip tune sounds coming in, very tasty!

The 28 stabs harpsichord is also rather cool! I really like the sounds of harpsichords. As you’re clearly already good at combining genres, please considering joining Mutant Breaks Competition #15. Which is all about mixing up genres and working together. Anyway, good stuff!!

@TheBellows I think the idea of the track fits with the image of spaceship and space station that you’ve chosen. But as you’ve indicated before, your production skills are letting it down a little bit.

You might not need an app. There is a consistency to how your mixes sound to me on my system. Maybe you just need to improve your monitoring situation. Or be more bold in boosting the higher mids and highs.

To stay with Chasing Euphoria, the kick is nice and big. But the other sounds are too quiet, too far back. Making an awesome stereo mix that translates well to mono is hard, but not impossible. Just start out with making your mixing decisions (volume, eq, compression) in mono, then hard pan elements left, right, center. You’ll get there quick enough.

Tribolean Paralomite is also a neat track. Again I would say the mix sounds a little receded. I think it would benefit from being a tad brighter and more up front sounding. To give it a bit more of an aggressive, energetic sound. It’s a cool track though.

@lilith I like the punchiness of your track. Nice, clear and bright. Musically it loses me occasionally. So this tune is not really for me. If you want some feedback nonetheless, you have that higher, almost “ah, ah, ah” vocal sound / melody going on through a large part of the track. I feel that sound overstays its welcome. Think the pattern could stay, I just get bored with the sound. That’s how I feel about it anyway.

@talby Yeah for modular use! I think there are a lot of good ideas in the track, but as a whole it doesn’t come together for me. That spiky bass sound is very upfront. But I feel it has no reason being center stage as it doesn’t do anything interesting. Neither rhythmically nor sonically. If that was a lot quieter it would still drive the track and be less in the way of the action that’s currently in the background. It could probably also stand to be a little less bright.

I really like it when notes clash and there is a lot of tension. It’s something that can totally work. You can take your listener on a journey through some very dissonant tones without losing them. The key to that is that needs to feel intentional. I have no doubt that you composed/played it that way intentionally, but it doesn’t feel intentional to me. To me it feels more like you’re wandering around the keyboard and getting lost.

I realize you took your patch down already. But with a bit more direction and assurance from you as the composer to me the listener that you actually know where we’re going, this could be step right up a couple of notches. That’s how I feel about it anyway. Happy patching!

5 Likes

Thanks eretsua. I must say I rather enjoy your honest appraisals of peoples tracks.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I put back the original elements and I think now it´s more interesting. Need to change minor things in the mix, but it´s basically finished now:

3 Likes

Thanks eretsua!
I mix with headphones so it’s not optimal. I’m going to buy some monitors eventually.

When i listen to it now i wonder what i was thinking with that kick? It feels out of place and boring. I think i will have to do something about that.

To me it seems like huge wide bass sounds becomes very dull in mono quite consistently, so i think i may have to avoid those.

1 Like

Some might like it that way, including the crooked note of the highlighted bass. :slightly_smiling_face:

Honestly I’m surprised that you usually don’t have this number of plays. You’ve got almost 400 followers, that’s 4 times more than me, but I’ve got way more plays and I also don’t do anything else than uploading on SC and posting here. I don’t get it. According to your almost 400 followers you should always have at least 400-500 plays per song. That’s what I would expect.

I don’t think you’ll get plays caused by bots without paying for plays. I know the “MusicMilk” fake accounts are big on SC and always there if you release something new, but they want money for their “service”. If you would like to call fake plays, fake likes and other useless fake stuff a “service”.

You have to do it vice versa. You need a mono mix that translates well to stereo. That’s why you start in mono at low volume through speakers. That’s the easiest and fastest way to achieve a proper mix imo. But don’t release your stuff if you think the mix is good. Just wait a couple of days and then lsten to your track again at low volume through speakers. You’ll notice right away if there’s still something to improve, and in most cases you’ll find something that needs to be improved. Repeat this procedure at least 3 times.

2 Likes

I got 160 plays in one night. That really can’t be true.

I guess that I kind of made an arbitrary choice on choosing the notes on the sequencer. It works for me :grinning: The bass notes are a bit like a prog rock riff. The whole thing is like a Vangelis track gone bad.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear that talby. I don’t think people saying a courteous “nice track!” is very useful. I feel we’re all better served with open & honest feedback. That’s how you grow as an artist and a human being. Even if you totally disagree with the feedback you receive, it can be good to hear another perspective.

@lilith Much better, yes! The mix is also a bit different, I think? I like this better. Think you indeed can call it done. :+1:

@TheBellows happens to me all the time that I mix things way too loud. Then a few days later I also go “what was I thinking!?”.

That’s very likely, indeed. Check out what your (favorite) commercial/professional artists sound like in mono. The ones who had their music mastered at a serious mastering facility with the best engineers. Compare it to yours and try to learn from the best.

@TNT Spot on! Though, I’m about to ignore that excellent advise. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As it’s 808-day today I dusted off my Beheringer RD-8 and a bunch of distortion pedals to make some rhythmic noise.

And to make @stoiximan happy I didn’t make the video full of bright, flashing lights this time around. So you can safely watch it, if you feel so inclined.

Ps.

I’m willfully ignoring that excellent advise. If I don’t it won’t be out until 808-day 2024. :sweat_smile:

Not that I think the mix is anywhere near good. But sometimes you just need to roll with it.

3 Likes

Thanks. The mix is almost the same. I think the snare is a bit too sharp and the bass is too snappy.

1 Like

I’d like to share my first finished track, “Minor Misfortune”, made with Renoise. This is a true “bedroom” production, because all the samples were recorded using physical instruments or objects at home. The drum set consists of the back of a double bass (which you can hear on several tracks), a pillow, a violin case (the violins are quite hard to miss on the track), and a bag of oat flakes. The only other software I used in addition to Renoise was Audacity. However, I did record also some samples directly with Renoise.

You can hear the track here: scene.org file archive :: minor-misfortune_by_triplestop.mp3

I participated in the listening music competition at Assembly 2023 and placed 5th, which was a pleasant surprise! Any feedback about the style, mixing, or mastering, is very welcome! I’m now planning to lean more heavily into electronic sounds, and trying to learn sound synthesis for my next tracks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

i made this

5 Likes

Nice one man,great vid too!!

This was another zombie from my drive:

This original pattern loop was rotting for 10 years on my drive until I decided a couple of weeks ago to keep the main part of the beat but to change and to extend all the rest and to create a finished tune out of it. This time no 808 kick, instead it’s a 909.

Well, it’s your mix and you have to live with it. :wink:
And btw, thanks for the information. I never knew that my mother’s and her twin’s birthday is on 808 day.
I assume there’s a 303 day, a 404 day, a 606 day, a 707 day and a 909 day, too.
Your session has its ups and downs imho. I especially like the first part, which delivers nostagic 90s impressions. Unfortunately the lead starting at 2:26 sucks, because it’s out of tune, consists of crooked notes all the way and doesn’t fit at all to all the rest. The transition from that part to the last part is quite good and interesting. The last part is unusual for that kind of instrumentation, it’s quite interesting but not my cup of tea.

Very nice, especially from 1:14 when the lead melody starts, which fits perfectly to the bass. I really like that groove. And it’s also interesting that you’re panning several other lead melodies hard left and right later on, which brought me back to the Amiga days for a moment. Well done!

Who knows? Maybe it was me or someone else because one couldn’t sleep? :grin:

3 Likes