I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

No problem, dude. The more can do proper mixing, the less one “needs to” listen to “crap”. :wink:

Yes, the frequencies below 150-200 Hz (personally I prefer 200 Hz).
Everything above 200 Hz is “stereo”, which means there are mids and sides.

As long as there’s no competition between the frequencies it shouldn’t be a big problem, but make sure that the lowest frequencies are mono. You can have huge dark sounds anyway. If you’re used to stereo bass (which could also be nice, it always depends) it’ll take some time to get used to the sound of a mono bass (you will need an increased volume in comparison to a stereo bass to make it huge), but as soon as you’re used to it, you will prefer it in any case. And always keep it mind it’s not the whole instrument that’s in mono, it just affects the frequencies below 150-200 Hz.

1 Like

Continued a bit. Reaching an end slowly.

2 Likes

The mix is great, wide, transparent and very balanced!

1 Like

4 Likes

I use Renoise to clock my modular and record. With some note and pad triggers from Renoise.

3 Likes

Nice! Baroque madness!

1 Like

2 in 1.I like tracks that blend genres and you did it marvelously in this piece.The first part is a masterpiece!!!

1 Like

More of the same different stuff. This turned out a bit intense. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s much better! You just need to increase the loudness of the bass, which is way too soft.

Nice song overall with some ups and downs. I like the atmosphere and the strings and pads, but I don’t like the highlighted bass that you can hear at the 7th position of the bassline, because it’s a “crooked note” and doesn’t fit imho. There are also some crooked notes around 2:30 regarding the string.

This is not so much different than your other stuff. Anyway, the mix is pretty good. It seems that you’ve imrproved your skills. And tell me, why are your recent 2 songs suddenly getting not less than incredible 45 times (!) more plays within the same amount of time than ANY of your previous songs? It’s not because of the mix, that’s for sure… :wink:

2 Likes

I’m not unduly worried about the atonal string at 2:30 ish as It was entirely intentional. But ouch on the ‘crooked’ bass note. I hadn’t really perceived that as an issue. I’d revisit that in retrospect to see, but I disassembled the patch after recording. So it is what it is. Thanks for your honest comments anyways.

To be honest i have no idea…i’m just as surprised as you. I haven’t posted it anywhere else than here.

I had the same thing last time. Maybe some bots?

It doesn’t surprise me if that’s the case.

Some of it are from previous tracks, just mixed and arranged a bit differently.

Its not atonal, its just chromatic lol.

1 Like

chromattic:
relating to or using notes not belonging to the diatonic scale of the key in which a passage is written.

atonal:
music may be written by obscuring tonal structures or by ignoring conventional harmonies altogether.

It’s funny really. ‘A crooked note’ . In relation to what?. It’s a personal preference as to what scale or note someone wants to hear.
For me, there’s a occasional veer in the pads where the bass notes just shouldn’t have been anything else. It’s an analogue 16 step sequencer after all.

I’m just happy with it in that it’s a good piss take of ‘Chariots Of Fire’.

@Lneheb “все в порядке, я просто умер” is lovely clear sounding breakcore. That little bell-ish melody that comes in around 1:20 or so is cute & sweet, I like it. Excellent sound design. Well done.

Your “…when death will set me free” is also very lovely. The second part has a lot energy with that repeating motif flowing over it and the delayed chip tune sounds coming in, very tasty!

The 28 stabs harpsichord is also rather cool! I really like the sounds of harpsichords. As you’re clearly already good at combining genres, please considering joining Mutant Breaks Competition #15. Which is all about mixing up genres and working together. Anyway, good stuff!!

@TheBellows I think the idea of the track fits with the image of spaceship and space station that you’ve chosen. But as you’ve indicated before, your production skills are letting it down a little bit.

You might not need an app. There is a consistency to how your mixes sound to me on my system. Maybe you just need to improve your monitoring situation. Or be more bold in boosting the higher mids and highs.

To stay with Chasing Euphoria, the kick is nice and big. But the other sounds are too quiet, too far back. Making an awesome stereo mix that translates well to mono is hard, but not impossible. Just start out with making your mixing decisions (volume, eq, compression) in mono, then hard pan elements left, right, center. You’ll get there quick enough.

Tribolean Paralomite is also a neat track. Again I would say the mix sounds a little receded. I think it would benefit from being a tad brighter and more up front sounding. To give it a bit more of an aggressive, energetic sound. It’s a cool track though.

@lilith I like the punchiness of your track. Nice, clear and bright. Musically it loses me occasionally. So this tune is not really for me. If you want some feedback nonetheless, you have that higher, almost “ah, ah, ah” vocal sound / melody going on through a large part of the track. I feel that sound overstays its welcome. Think the pattern could stay, I just get bored with the sound. That’s how I feel about it anyway.

@talby Yeah for modular use! I think there are a lot of good ideas in the track, but as a whole it doesn’t come together for me. That spiky bass sound is very upfront. But I feel it has no reason being center stage as it doesn’t do anything interesting. Neither rhythmically nor sonically. If that was a lot quieter it would still drive the track and be less in the way of the action that’s currently in the background. It could probably also stand to be a little less bright.

I really like it when notes clash and there is a lot of tension. It’s something that can totally work. You can take your listener on a journey through some very dissonant tones without losing them. The key to that is that needs to feel intentional. I have no doubt that you composed/played it that way intentionally, but it doesn’t feel intentional to me. To me it feels more like you’re wandering around the keyboard and getting lost.

I realize you took your patch down already. But with a bit more direction and assurance from you as the composer to me the listener that you actually know where we’re going, this could be step right up a couple of notches. That’s how I feel about it anyway. Happy patching!

5 Likes

Thanks eretsua. I must say I rather enjoy your honest appraisals of peoples tracks.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments. I put back the original elements and I think now it´s more interesting. Need to change minor things in the mix, but it´s basically finished now:

3 Likes

Thanks eretsua!
I mix with headphones so it’s not optimal. I’m going to buy some monitors eventually.

When i listen to it now i wonder what i was thinking with that kick? It feels out of place and boring. I think i will have to do something about that.

To me it seems like huge wide bass sounds becomes very dull in mono quite consistently, so i think i may have to avoid those.

1 Like