I would like to hear your music made with Renoise or other Daws

Added a lot of stuff to the song i composed 2 weeks ago to make it more interesting, what do y’all think?

3 Likes

Great track.You added enough i think so just polish the mix, but to me it sound good already

Some kind of dark techno trance ish stuff this time. Not my usual stuff, but then again, what is my usual stuff? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Probably my favourite track of yours mate. I really like it, has dark progressive vibes.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:
How do you think the mix sounds? To me it sounds quite good through headphones and quite terrible on my android tablet, but i guess that’s because it’s heavy on the bass…why is bass so hard to mix?

The unusual stuff that doesn’t match any genre, especially not a popular one. :wink:

Well, the drums are too loud in general, especially the percussion sound at position 15, that repeats every 16 positions. But also the kick, the toms and the hihats need to be softer. If you would mix in mono through speakers at low volume you would know immediately what’s wrong respectively what needs to be improved. To avoid low end issues HP everything but the bass and kick. And if you think the bass ist too heavy respectively the song is too bass heavy, it is recommended to cut the bass, too. You could simply put a HP filter on your bass, try “Butterworth 8n” at 50 Hz, and if it’s still not enough increase the cut up to 100 Hz instead. Don’t forget to sidechain your kick and bass, too.

Nice pads and playful melodies. Personally I would prefer other Synthwave styles just like Outrun or Cyberpunk, but this almost Chillwave style is ok, too. The mix is ok,. maybe a bit muddy (too bassy pads) and the bass would also benefit from a slight low cut.

Yes, I like it. For being just a loop (i really don’t like loops) it turns out to be pretty good and varied. The first 90 seconds remind me of one of my favorite groups called “The Alan Parson’s Project”. The slow beat and the way how the bass is playing, combined with the synths in the background, together with some pads playing, that’s pretty cool. I’m not sure, but I think the song would benefit from some highpass actions in terms of the pads. Anyway, really nice atmosphere and I also like the melodies. In diesem Sinne, weitermachen!

3 Likes

Thanks for your tips, i’ll try that the next time. I do already add a hp filter to almost every track, but i still end up with too much low end.
I will do it mono next time and see how that goes.
I must invest in some monitors soon as atm i’m stuck with headphones and a cheap bluetooth speaker. Maybe that will help a bit, though i have always struggled with the mixing, so probably not by much. When i’m on headphones it feels like i could always have some more bass…

Yeah, but which settings for which instruments? That’s crucial.

You don’t need monitors to mix properly. Look at me, personally I’ve spend almost 600 € for each speaker, model Genelec 8030 CP, and in the end I don’t use them for mixing because they lack low end. Honestly I didn’t expect these quality speakers to be that bad for mixing. Besides of the lack of low end they sound as great as my studio headphones, model Audio Technica ATH-M50X. In the end I’m using my studio headphones for finetuning AFTER I did the mix in mono through my 30 years old HiFi speakers, and that’s what I would recommend to you, too. Grab some really good HiFi speakers and you’re good. As long as you’ve got great studio headphones there’s no need to spend a lot of money for studio monitors, unless you spend really A LOT of money, like 2000 € for each speaker. Or you have to add a subwoofer to your system, but personally I’m not convinced of subwoofers. In any case you have to ensure that your speakers can go really low frequency-wise, otherwise it’s useless for mixing.

Hey, everyone!

Here’s a free-to-download compilation of tracks made exclusively in trackers, released in July 22th 2023 (last week!). This is the result of an open call we did in April in the Renoise Breakcore discord server to compile and release tracker-only music. We got about 40 submissions, and ended up with a 15-track album!

Most of the tracks (about 13 of them) were made in Renoise, by different artists from different countries, including a few collabs. In other words: it’s a very diverse cast. [The two other tracks were made in Polyend and M8 tracker, respectively, in case you’re curious.]

Big shoutout for all the artists who sent us their music and chose to be part of the compilation!

Playlist is right bellow (Soundcloud and Bandcamp):

13 tracks made in Renoise, 1 in Polyend and 1 in M8. All mastering done in Reaper v6.81.

6 Likes

Unbelievable work and i am still in track 3!!

2 Likes

@eretsua thanks for some honest feedback! In honesty I put this together in a few hours, it was more an experiment to understand the process. Family and friends will always say nice things (most of the time!) so its good to get unbiased opinions. I’ll post some more tracks when I’ve mastered the DAW a little more :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks, I did get a bit lost trying to finish it but tbh it was an experiment in starting out with renoise, appreciate the honest feedback thanks! I used reaper and cubase prior to renoise but never really liked the workflow for breaks programming.

Bereft, done with Reaper.

1 Like

3 Likes

This is kind of an extension to the last track. I’m still not sure why i can’t make it sound great in mono, a lot of effects i use seem to make the right and left cancel each other out. I like how it sounds in stereo, but it’s probably not that great either. I need an app where i can just feed it the stems and it will magically create an awesome mix and master. :smiley:

I see a change in us
It’s getting dangerous
We’re breaking through the walls of time
In this electrifying paradigm

2 Likes

Maybe phasing issues, but I guess you’re using soft instruments that have a big amount of stereo information. I don’t know the sound of the first version of your song, but I can say that the current mix is quite good imho. I just would soften all the drums and increase the volume of the vocals. It’s almost impossible to understand a word. If any instruments are not audible in mono a mix sucks for sure. In this case I would reduce stereo information (you’ve got several options to add it afterwards again in a more controlled way) and increase the volume. But keep in mind that there’s no way to make a song sound “great” in mono. You can make it sound “good”, but that’s all you need. If the mix sounds good in mono, it most likely will sound great in stereo. That’s the “secret”.

Edit:
I just want to let you know that I just have listened to a lot of “professional music” (Electronic) through speakers and imho your mix is better than many of these “professional mixes”. And especially if you’re used to listen to music through headphones you will notice a HUGE difference. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

(Wrong thread)

I don’t really have a first version of the song, but it has evolved a lot during making and i have almost remade it 3 times and basically ended up with something quite different than what it started as. I mean, when i started the track the working title was “completely bonkers” and sounded quite crazy, but it ended up in a smudge. What i meant by “extension of the last track” was that it has a lot in common with my last posted track wich you commented on earlier. It sounds quite different though, so i get why you didn’t catch that. :stuck_out_tongue:
Good to hear you approve of the mix. The mono isn’t as bad as i first thought, but there are some details that seem to become lower in amplitude. It’s not that noticeable through my shitty bluetooth speaker, to me it sounds almost identical in mono and stereo, but through my headphones it sounds quite different. Not sure how much weight i should put into it as i’m not making music for being listened to in mono, but i hate the possibility of someone hearing my music in mono and thinks it sucks because of the bad mono incompatibility. It’s a lot better that they think it sucks because the music is shitty, regardless of the mix. :smiley:
I did end up removing a whole lot of low end with highpass filters this time, which was a problem in the last track where the low frequencies seem to fight against each other. It seems that this mix is better in that regard, so i guess i will just have to keep experimenting with that.

That’s right, but if your mono mix is good, your song will sound good everywhere. I assume you know about mid/side and what’s it all about. The mids are the most important signals, and these are always mono. The sides contain the stereo informations. The mids can be heard everywhere, but not the sides. Just consider the mids to be the “main material” of the signal and the sides are “bonus material” that pimp the sound. Make sure to have a good balance of your main material and you’re almost there. Afterwards you can improve the result by adding the bonus material (just switch back to stereo and do the finetuning in terms of loudness).

An illustrative example, which of course is not the same but has a quite similar effect: You put a reverb (bonus material) on a snare (main material). The snare is as loud as desired everywhere. The reverb sounds great through headphones, but lacks loudness through speakers and through laptop speakers it’s not even audible. The same effect happens to the sides (stereo information) of a signal. But as long as your main material is well mixed, everything is audible everywhere and your song will sound as expected, even through laptop speakers. Of course it’ll sound fancier through speakers and best through headphones, but in any case no elements are missing and your song is completely audible regardless of the output. Do you get the point?

2 Likes

I have always been told the low frequencies should be mono, but it makes sense that the “body” of the track should be quite centered. I really like the sound of huge/wide dark sounds, so that might be the pitfall of my mixing?
Next time i’ll try using the multiband send to control the stereo width a bit better. I have done this in the past, but then i only made the lowest frequencies mono, while keeping the stereo information on both mids and highs.
Thanks TNT for your tips and feedback, i very much appreciate you taking the time. :slight_smile: