Idea For Chord

Hello Guys!

i have little idea for chord

when we write chord in the pattern. he is displayed C-4 E-4 G-4.
what you think about alternate visualisation for chords CEG4 or Cdf4 (small simbols its sharp)? its idea for chrod in the one octave if we have 2 octave chrod may be dG5 Cdfa6.

thank you

In that mode, would you want the same column size?
like C…E…G… 4
if it were not the 3 characters per column, what to do with C-2 E-5 G-7 if that’s the next chord?

maybe there could be an octave-column, since this “4” needs some extra column anyway
CEG 444
CEG 257
this way it looks imho tidy and tells everything

lower case for the sharp is good, black keys are smaller too. it’s already like this in some software out there, isn’t it?

you damn right. therefore propose to discuss the

When you hit keys on a piano you generally don’t hit them all at exactly the same time or with the same force, you will have a slight differences per note. How would you do that with this representation? Still need a Vol/Pan/Delay column per note.

we have collapse chanel, maybe doing colapse mode for note )) hahahaha strange idea but maybe intresting

i just guess uniterleaving all would work

uninterleaving: abcdef abcdef => aa bb cc dd ee ff

with 4 note columns it would look like this:

sharps lowercase:
CeFg 4444 vl vl vl vl pn pn pn pn dl dl dl dl

sharps explicitely:
CEFG -#-# 4444 vl vl vl vl pn pn pn pn dl dl dl dl

isn’t that bad

ps:
contra: the vol/pan/dly colors would lose their separating effect a lil bit
pro: editing vol/pan/dly uninterleaved enables to check/edit corresponding values faster (e.g. all volumes are together, this would be nice to concetrate on just the volumes)

I suppose having it show the first 3 notes of a chord in a Collapsed Track may be an idea and more helpful than just the symbols that let you know if there is data or not. I didn’t think this is what you were initially aiming towards with your suggestion. And I’m not sure a secondary partially-collapsed mode, if that is more what you mean above rather than in the current collapsed view.

i think so too. he was looking for something that shows very quickly what (chord) is in the columns. ceg4 is more like “hey, you happen to have near keys here, the chord for this is CEG5”, chord-info-column. as soon the keys were not near, spread over more than one octave, it’s no more possible to display it so compactly, it would probably have to be something like CE4G5 etc. but be it a chord-info-column or a tool tip, it would not have to be always visible or should it? **

the other idea - about uninterleaving display - reflects only a part of his suggestion: the CEG. since a few renoisers are looking for very general ideas to be able to really suggest implementing it into renoise, i thought, give it a try and talk about the interleaving stuff. btw: the symbols would not only tell if something is in there, they describe the data. C # 5 is just what would be standing there normally, but in a different order.

** what i meant there is actually, that it could:
a) display a shortened format like CEG5 if possible or “…” (meaning: not CEG5 and C3E4G5 in the same column)

b ) display a shortened format like CEG5 if possible, and if not: the long version C3E4G5

c) always display C5E5G5 and C3E4G5 no matter which octaves

d) per octave DG5 CDFA6

i’m so overtired, i didn’t read jalex post to the end. method d, sorted and per octave, is much more readable than the octave numbers inbetween. it’s the way to go :)
sorry i took the thread in a wrong direction by not reading till the end, jalex.

anyway, would it be nice like this too?

e)

5 6  

DG.. CDFA  
EG.. CDGA  

(i’ve let away the lowercase character just because it’s a bit disturbing the examples, actually i’d maybe find a character with inverted colors or just different colors nicer than the camel style sequences, could possibly look easier)

@ “alternate visualization”…
i didn’t really get if you tried to say “change the way the editor looks like” or “add a visualization feature”
i didn’t really get if you tried to say “add a different looking editor” or “add a visualization feature”

whatever the new thing would be, should it be read-only or editable?

if editable: edit it like in word or like in excel?
(lines or cells?)

(lines could go like CdE5 fg6 and be automatically converted to C-5 D#5 etc)

i’m just still thinking about it :smashed: :P

and I thiniking to ))

bump!!!

Quite a lot of chords (probably most of them) consist of more than just 3 notes.

I’d rather see a solution where we could just write down e.g. “C#Maj7(b9)” in a textbox and the notes are fetched from a user chord database and placed out on a Renoise track in the pattern editor. Or, alternatively, the user can just select from a list of chords and also ‘preview’ listen to them while browsing.

EDIT: Actually, it could be a good idea to have a general purpose “string pair match maker” insert mechanism in Renoise. This would work great with chords of all sorts, but also with other user definied sequences, phrases, automations, etc.

That way you could create all sort of things. For example, you write “cat*” in a little textbox that appears next to the pattern editor cursor, and a menu of all associated items appears where you can select cat samples, sequences of cat meows, etc. You could then write “cat.samples” to filter out only samples, “cat.seqs” to filter out sequences, etc.

It’s an okay idea if it’s thorough and easy to customize the chords, otherwise it’s “band in a box”

Bump))))

bump