Identify 32/64Bit Version From The Api

Can the API identify if it is running on a 32/64 bit machine?

I’m trying to fix akaizer integration and it only appears to work on 32 bit machines.

Thanks

32/64 bit machines? Operating systems? Or versions of Renoise (only applies to Linux at the moment)?

Sure it works fine on 64bit machines running 32bit OSes (eg WinXP on a Core2Duo computer.) For OS you might have to run in a Compatibility Mode…

os.platform() could do this, currently it only returns a string whether you are dealing with windows, mac or Linux. I guess it is no more than logical this will be extended whether you are running on a 32-bit or 64-bit platform.
Meanwhile, i guess the workaround is using os.getenv("[environment variable name]") to get the value of a specific variable name that would reveal the bit type of the platform.
On Windows:

>>> print (os.getenv("ProgramFiles(x86)"))   
C:\Program Files (x86)   

If the ProgramFiles(x86) would return nil, you are most likely running a 32-bit environment.
Another Windows 64-bit environment variable is called “ProgramW6432” which should return the 64-bit path for Windows 64-bit applications (usually c:\Program files)

Thanks vV. That’s really helpful.

For everyones use the following should work (although I don’t have a 64bit Windows machine to try it).

The function should return true for 64bit Windows, and false if 32bit or not running on Windows

function is_64bit_windows()  
 if os.platform() == "WINDOWS" then  
 if os.getenv("ProgramFiles(x86)") == nil then  
 return false -- 32bit  
 else  
 return true -- 64bit  
 end  
 else  
 return false -- not Windows  
 end  
end  

it doesn’t work on my 32 bit machine.

That’s only 33% of the solution…
Akaizer also seems to be programmed for OSX and Linux.
On OSX i don’t really know the environment key for revealing a 64-bit environment. On Linux i have seen something like “HOSTTYPE”:

elseif name == "linux" then  

function os.resolvers.platform(t,k)  
 -- we sometims have HOSTTYPE set so let's check that first  
 local platform, architecture = "", os.getenv("HOSTTYPE") or os.resultof("uname -m") or ""  
 if find(architecture,"x86_64") then  
 platform = "linux-64"  
 elseif find(architecture,"ppc") then  
 platform = "linux-ppc"  
 else  
 platform = "linux"  
 end  
 return "linux"  
 end  

True, but Akaizer on Linux and MacOS X just seem to work (32bit app on 64bit OS).