If The Effect Number Barrier Would Ever Be Broken..

NOTE FX

set/glide loop beginning
set/glide loop end
set loop type
set/glide point x of instrument envelope y (volume, panning, filter, etc.)

TRACK FX

change order of track DSP (this might be impossible/silly or no problem/supercool, I don’t know…)

MASTER FX

pattern loop!

“this article is a stub”… because those ideas I usually have while tracking, not while browsing, so I’ll edit it when I come up with more – and most importantly I hope you people will flood this thread with ideas.

Note FX:
transpose note up
transpose note down

Right now I have to set TPL to 1 to get this to happen which is sad because it throws off the other pattern fx.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

OVER 9000!!!

yeah… it’s not like Renoise has problems when changing the order by drag and drop or clicking the arrows… changing the effect numbers doesn’t make it stutter, so maybe this is possible… but what about this scenario:

[initial DSP order]

time passes

[track command changes DSP order]

time passes

[user changes the DSP order manually]

What should happen then? (Profit???) To be consistent, it would have to be impossible to change the order - without recording that change by inserting a corresponding fx command, that is.

Just like you can’t change a DSP slider when there is automation for it, that is, it snaps back as soon as you let go of the mouse.

I’d suggest the same behaviour for change the track DSP order… just for consistency, not usability…

I want this too, so thanks for the TPL tip.
Basically you want the slide effect without the slide, the glide effect without the glide: instant change of pitch/tuning! If so, me too!

A bit silly, maybe? You can get the same results with DSP OFF/ON commands (but it may require a lot of DSP’s). And this feature is for the crazy few (you know who you are), I presume. So unless it’s really easy to implement, I’d say: not a very supercool idea.

so that is not silly? hmm, maybe the crazy don’t really know who they are ^_^

some FT2 heritage:

0Lxx: sets the volume envelope current tick to xx;

Mx (on volume column): equivalent to 05x0 but only for the note column where it is written;

+/-x (on volume column): equivalent to 06/07x0 but only for the note column where it is written;

L/Rx (on panning column): slides the panning to Left/Rigth of 10h only for the note column where it is written;

Make everything mappable :wink: User definable commands

Maybe a special patterncommand editor where the user can define the command, limits/functions and assign it to whatever gui element, slider, button (on/off) - input box there is. Something similar to how ctrl+m midi mapping works.

For example: press ‘learn’ in the new pattern command editor window, set minimum - maximum range and command (A-Z, a-z et cetera), than slide a loop marker in the sample editor and bammm, you can now control that slider in the pattern editor with the defined command and set parameter range.

That way the user can decide what he wants controlled with patterncommands, but maybe I’m dreaming :)

With the current hex limit in the pattern editor I think auto-scaling the ranges is the key here. So a sample’s length would have to be scaled to make it work in this given example.

Hah, yes I have no idea how that would work programming wise.

‘All’ (relevant) internal parameters and ranges should be displayable, similar to how you expose all vst parameters in the ‘Track DSP’ tab when pressing the little triangle button.

Maybe have the parameters and ranges subdivided in different categories similar to how it is done in the preferences regarding color settings. This to avoid going through a big ass screen full sliders?

Autoscaling large parameter ranges to the current hex limit would in some cases (like the loop marker example with large samples) suck for accuracy. By moving the command one step to the left would give an extra 0 for resolution. If only there was a + button in the pattern editor to add extra 0’s for resolution increase ;)

When this would be possible, why not have the displayed values be midi-mappable as well? 2 vliegen in 1 klap :)

Another one:

An effect like the 09xx effect but instead of dividing the sample into 256 slices, it’s hardcoded to measure numbers within the sample. So, 00 is the start point, 08 is the beginning of the 9th bar, 10 is the beginning of the 17th bar (because of the hex notation).

The instrument editor has a lot of pattern-command control potential, for example automating envelope preset changes or changing the (frequency)values of lfo’s. Make your instruments more flexible soundwise.

Might be workflow specific, but for live set-ups I think it’d be nice to be able to control the block-loop size with pattern commands so you don’t have to fiddle with the mouse in the dark…but can set-up a pattern to have 1/2 as default, next pattern 1/4 depending on what sounds you have lined up/ ideas planned. You could write a reminder on what patterns have what block sizes in the arranger when it is expanded.

I’ve seen some wicked impulse-tracker songs on youtube, where certain sections in patterns are looped a couple of times or run backwards even. Some command that says: run this portion of the pattern 3 times, or ping-pong loop this section 4 times would be cool IMO :). Of course you could program the same thing, but for quick try-outs or experimentation it be a fun thing to play with.

Love that idea although it’s surely possible to set a keyboard shortcut to it currently, no? Very little in Renoise can’t have a keybord combination of your choice added to it. Would still make it a lot simpler.

Like that too and did kinda suggest something similar a while ago but it was when I didn’t know how the scroll bar on my laptop worked (there was a strange setting) and never got around to making the post in this section.

Basically it was the idea to use the scroll wheel to be able to change play speed and direction on the currently playing pattern. Forwards and backwards and variable but locked to multiples/divisions of the tempo. Also, if you did it with the most over the pattern sequence section, if you had more than one pattern set to loop, it would change how quickly it changed pattern. EG play each pattern twice or only play half a pattern before moving on, forwards and backwards again.

Think that could open up some really interesting things with live jamming.

For on the fly improvisation, keyboard shortcuts would be perfect, I’m talking about a more planned set where you don’t want to think or mess around with shortcuts, just press enter to repeat a portion out of a pattern that you have set-up.

indeed great thing to have some mouse gestural control for live play.

Ahh I have just found this topic after I just sent the same topic idea. Anyway here I go:

To me: On / Off tracks command line.

Just found this excellent example of live jamming with Renoise on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZaadHYaTY…feature=related

and use it as possible solution to add command lines for tracker ON/OFF tracks [like 1F00 for off dsp effect and 1F01 for on]. Think about it if you can add some more letters as commands Would be extremely useful for such a situation as shown on this video

As I said I agree but just a way to stop from fine mouse movement being needed until it’s implemented ;)

I know I later suggested thing for use with the mouse but for those you only need the pointer to be over a certain but quite large area of the screen, it’s not like having to click on very small buttons and read the screen while possibly trying to do something else at the same time.

Turning something off is completely different from switching places?

I believe it is. But you can get the same results by setting up an appropriate DSP chain and use ON/OFF commands, I think.

A simple scenario:
You have a reverb (first dsp) and a flanger (second dsp) and you want them to “switch place” at some point.

Then you create three DSP’s. First one flanger (F1), then one reverb (R1) and finally another flanger (F2) with
the same settings as the first flanger.

In the begining of the song only R1 and F2 are turned on. When you want to “switch place”, you turned off F2 and turn on F1.

I know some people might think this is crazy. Just saying it can be done.

Yeah if you’ve got a few effects but you could very quickly run out of the 16 space limit we have from using Hex.

Then use send tracks which contain different ordered DSP effects and toggle the Send track on/off instead :P