Importing Long Wave Files

As I am trying out Renoise I am coming up with a lot of questions so bear with me. Just trying to justify if I can get this too work the way I want it to before I financially commit.

I was messing around with a remix I wanted to do. The problem is the stems I am importing are like 5 minutes in length. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I keep each stem as a sample and then adjust my pattern length accordingly? This seems inefficient and cumbersome. Or is this where the Rewire thing comes into play?

I am currently trying Renoise out on my brand new Linux laptop so if I go the Jack/Rewire method how does that work? My thinking would be the audio stems would be in Ardour routed thru jack into Renoise. And they would be timed together? Could I then route Renoise’s output back into Ardour for generating a track? And at what point does all this routing effect performance? Of course that last question may be another discussion all together.

Thanks!

Rewire could be a good way to work with longer samples. Otherwise, yes Renoise has trouble handling very long samples but you could always add more notes triggering this sample with a different offset, (09xx) adding 0980 would make this note play the sample starting at exactly half way… you could use smaller pattern length and make sure you have a note triggering your long clip at the beginning of each patterns, and offset it according to where it should be playing for this pattern. Still not the best way to deal with long samples, but I hope this helps.

Hello ! I’m very interresting for bootleg & remix, thank’you JBL for your tips !

The tips are partially dated due to the new autoseek function in Renoise.
Yet Autoseek only does a basic sample tracking on song positions, we’ll have to see how other environmental features such as pattern effect commands and DSP effects and automation are being aligned to work with these types of samples as the current status of writing, most generic features don’t coop with this autoseek function yet.

Could you give us some more info about this? Sounds as if something doesn’t work for you.

One example:
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=26234&pid=206516&st=0&#entry206516

But also pattern effect commands like retrig would rather be used from a different perspective (on current position) than how retrig is currently applied (at the beginning), so this makes this effect and a few the other effects pretty useless for this samples type.
I think this really belongs to the audio-tracks brainstorming discussion rather than here.

No. Those simply are bugs which should be fixed (and thats whats happening now) and no limitations? Sorry, that we haven’t made that clear.

I don’t understand what you mean with the second “retrigger” example.

000 | C-41075 0E02 |   
001 | --- .. ---- |   
002 | --- .. ---- |   
003 | --- .. ---- |   
004 | --- .. 0E02 |   
005 | --- .. ---- |   
006 | --- .. ---- |   
007 | --- .. ---- |   
008 | --- .. ---- |   
009 | --- .. ---- |   
010 | --- .. ---- |   
011 | --- .. ---- |   
012 | --- .. ---- |   
013 | --- .. ---- |   
014 | --- .. ---- |   
015 | --- .. ---- |   
016 | --- .. ---- |   
017 | --- .. ---- |   
018 | --- .. ---- |   
019 | --- .. ---- |   
020 | --- .. ---- |   
021 | --- .. ---- |   
022 | --- .. 0E02 |   
023 | --- .. ---- |   
024 | --- .. ---- |   
025 | --- .. ---- |   
026 | --- .. ---- |   
027 | --- .. ---- |   
028 | --- .. ---- |   
029 | --- .. ---- |   
030 | --- .. ---- |   
031 | --- .. ---- |   
032 | --- .. ---- |   
033 | --- .. ---- |   
034 | --- .. ---- |   
035 | --- .. ---- |   
036 | --- .. ---- |   
037 | --- .. ---- |   
038 | --- .. ---- |   
039 | --- .. ---- |   
040 | --- .. 0E02 |   

Everywhere you see a retrigger command where a note is not being triggered, the sample is being retriggered from the starting position and not on the position it is currently playing.
I thought that supposed to be the nature of the retrigger command. But if that ain’t, then it is indeed a bug.