Invalid Or Corrupt .Xrns File (V 2.1 On Mac)

Hey all, first time poser, more frequent Renoise user.

Basically to cut it short, I was saving in Renoise at some stage last week whilst simultaneously trying to open up a project file in Logic. For one reason or another, Renoise froze up completely, as did Logic, although in the Force Quit menu on my Mac, only Renoise wasn’t responding, so I shut it down.

I though that because of the force quit, the file would just revert back to its last save state, however, that’s not the case. Every time I try to open the file I have a “invalid or corrupt” file message appear.

I tried compressing the file to a .zip then trying to extract it again as a new .xrns (as recommended in an older thread), unfortunately it didn’t work, and all I got was a duplicate .xrns file, and a .xml file of pathnames, parameters etc. as well as a folder with the samples and slices I used.

Could anyone help me resolve the issue? Im running Renoise 2.1 demo (not enough monies for full version at the moment, FML), on Snow Leopard.

If needed I can post the file here, but its 245MB, so I’ll have to work out how best to upload.

Thanks forum!

Due to a failing external hard disk drive most of my earlier Renoise work has corrupted samples (.wav) in them. When I try to load a song things go smoothly until Renoise finds the sample that is borked. It gives me an error message and continues giving the same message on every sample that comes after the corrupted one. Checking with WinRar to see which file is corrupted and removing it from the zip, zipping it again and opening in Renoise works just fine but this is very slow to do, especially with 100 songs. I’d like a cure for this. Would it be possible to make Renoise skip the corrupted sample(s) and still try to open up rest of the sounds?

You get the error message straight away when opening the song file?
Can you open the file with WinRar and do a check on the zip?
Does it show you if there are certain files corrupted?
If samples are the only thing corrupted, then using my method should work (but you’ll lose the sample(s) and in worst case scenario that’s one of your long recorded sounds you REALLY wouldn’t want to lose).

Whatever you do, first make a copy of this file.

Then you might try to run the OSX built in zip repair on it: Open a terminal, enter
“zip -FF FILENAME_OF_THE_XRNS”

This maybe already does the job.

Thanks for the heads up Dfast.

Taktik, I’ll get it to you somehow, any idea how to upload files greater than 200MB on the net? Or how could I make a split .rar of it?

Loads of possibilities… Dropbox is one, but i believe there are lots of file-storage hosts that can do this job just fine without needing premium accounts or whatever.

I actually meant:
““Whatever you do, first make a copy of this file.”” make, not me. But sure, if you upload it somehow, we’ll try to help.

Have you ever used the terminal in OSX? then you could easily try this by your own…

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4026666/Si.xrns

Should be uploaded within an hour of this message, for those who wish to take a look and see if they can fix it. I’ll try the OSX terminal in the meantime =] Thanks again forum!

Halp. Or would it be against some sort of basic fundamentals of a zip archive?

Tried the OSX terminal trick but it kept saying about needing a proper output or something of the sort. Tried the .zip trick but no luck their either. Cannot convert the .flac files to any type for the Mac to preview either =[

Try

zip -FF "path/to/broken.xrns" --out "path/to/fixed.xrns"  

then (don’t forget the quotes).

Thanks man, you can access the original file from a few posts above, give it a look when you get a chance and see if you can find out what’s wrong?

Success, the terminal method worked! The last 3 “instruments” I had turned out to be the problem, now I can get back to work =]

I would suggest making a walkthrough for this method as a sticky or a .pdf as a way to help other Mac OSX users, to maybe save time as well as ruling out all possible scenarios, before contacting Admins about corrupt files.

Thank you very much!

Not something that we desire to document, but if shit happens, it might not hurt to have this in the troubleshooting section.

documentation