Is Jabbanoise dying? (no, it is not) [NSFW]

Most people here have no deep knowledge in music, in harmony, no special education so please, dont speak about “new Way”. Lets be honest without big words

Afraid I have to agree. David Guetta, Paul Oakenfold, will not create organic growth of the community. What they could do, is provide a bump in sales, and not so shortly thereafter an array of license transfers.

@ DrumanDabass

Do you perhaps know, a couple of cool underground Russian artists that are true users of Renoise that would be good for the blog?

Totally agree with you exсept one thing. Many years ago I wrote my first composition in Fasttracker in one hour! No special skills at all, no tutorials etc. Look at fruity loops - many windows, instruments, effects. It is really hard to “start from the scratch”. So for me - one of the huge advantages of Renoise is - yes, it looks like submarine interface but so simple to start
Nice idea about clusters of samples-instruments-styles. Really nice!

I do not think that is true. There seems to be a lot of people here with knowledge about music theory and production. Whether they taught it to themselves, learned it in school, or have a mixture of school and self teaching is irrelevant.

I dont. I saw here russian guy - Jalex who was so angry couple weeks ago at renoise forums but at the same time posted russian tutorial about this program here: http://zwook.ru/cont…jalex_renoise_1
Try to ask him here: http://forum.renoise…ser/6304-jalex/

Maybe you right. But this is not the point that I am trying to speak here. And I dont like all conversations about “our unique way in this life”. It is really babish cause we speak here about PRODUCT and PROMOTION.

Renoise marketing should take inspiration from this…

Excuse me for such a question but who are you? “We”, “we” - who is it? “Me and Taktik”?) “Live US alone” US? You create this program? Or maybe you create some nice and famous tutorials? In this topic there are real monsters of Renoise and everybody are trying to speak calm and polite. What I said - this is MY opinion and I already explain why I use this tone of conversation. But what about you? XRNS have some ideas and this is good!
You really think that official website without any news (last is from spring 2012) is normal? OK, I am the moron but who are you - the person who is trying to spittle in everyone?

OK. My ideas.

It would be nice to have some tutorials like: “breakbeat at 5 minutes” or “dnb in 1 second” or some rhytmic patterns like here: http://pro100video.com/viewtopic.php?f=201&t=2412 but in renoise. Sort of different styles vocabulary in Renoise

It is also really good idea to have some different style presets in Renoise. Sound pack and several tracks with names, FX and something like that. And also couple of songs made in this preset.

Also - it would be nice to see comparison - usual DAW VS Renoise. “What I can in 10 minutes”. Just to see that it is easier than it looks)

And indeed you need a community manager with some creative ideas and copywriter skills

Our licence fee does not cover our desire to be entertained. Making an appeals to a niche community that uses niche software to adhere to economic rationalism and promote McSoftware isn’t going to go down well. Better to stick to existing strengths and foster them so that healthy solidarity and integrity is achieved. On whole the software development direction shows no signs of broad stagnation, and anyone who makes the effort to understand with acuity the cautious method of the developers will let things be and make their own contributions as circumstances see fit.

I think there is an ongoing problem of vagueness with the forums that allows for idlers to be distracted and fill up the space with noise. I propose the following alterations:

1. That the General Discussion forum being renamed to Renoise Announcements and be run a lot more formally than it currently is. This implies careful moderation so that this forum focuses on official Renoise discussion pertaining to annoucements. Off topic posts will be immediately moved to other appropriate forums. Normal members cannot start topics here.

2. That the Competitions and Collaborations forums be split in two. These two concepts are not the same thing and in certain contexts are dissonant to one another. Perhaps volunteer effort can be put into the Collaborations forum to foster productive activity there, which is something I would have a small amount of time for. …These two forums should then be moved down to the same region as the Songs forum.

3. The Songs forum could use some sort of added functionality to make it more enticing for genuine community involvement. It would need to be something more complex than an ‘up-voting’ system - allowing for review of qualities other than sheer popularity, for example: innovation, soulfulness, sonic quality, pathos, and insightfulness. These could be colour coded so that when one is skimming reviews one decide what is worth attention. A culture of peer review will raise the bar and encourage writers to improve their work.

I understand what you are saying, I understand your intentions, I do not think there is much to argue about, as I think most of what you have said is spot on. However, “I’d like to caution against, the moderation of ideas.” Thus, “I am against, more moderation of the forum.” When threads are, “inappropriate, they get locked, I’ve seen em get locked, thats good enough for me.”

As it stands right now, I do not believe this is a lockable thread. Some ideas are good, some are bad, all should be listened to. Edit = I think we should keep this, “an open Renoise discussion, and be open minded.” Regardless, of what idea we like, or do not like.

Interesting post. But Id like to ask you a simple question: you think it is normal - 3 news at Renoise official website - may 2012, january 2012 and june 2011? As for the forum - close it at all. Nothing changes)

I think there are a lot more positives, than you are giving credit. Obviously we can not have Taylor Swift on the blog. I asked if you knew, somebody good for the blog. You said, “nope.”

Something will happen, be patient… “Somebody with a new game, or a movie, or a music project that is going on tour, or something else.”

In the meantime. The software is not dead. The forum does not need to be closed.

If you would like, “you are more than welcome to, “join our quest,” and translate the manual to Russian.”

Hahahaha totally. That list was a really nice description of how to do everything wrong. “Let’s add derivative instant-gratification features, then we will attract users who will be pissed off at the half-assed workflow design AND make renoise seem like a second rate knockoff.”

Comparing Renoise to DAWS that cost 150 to 300 bucks more is kinda… uhm, some kind of silliness. No offense. I’m sure few people would cotton to seeing Renoise license jump up 100 euros/dollars to cover marketing and hyping. I know you didn’t suggest this, but really it’s the only method to accomplish in a sustained way what you asking for. Obviously 100 bucks is just some random number, but you know what I mean?

I think there is a lot of commercial potential for Renoise as a sampler. Separated from the tracker, if the sampler instrument capabilities where improved somewhat and were script-able, and included the Renoise dsps and some better filters all wrapped up in a plug in (vst) format, I think Renoise would have little trouble becoming a major software sampler. I don’t know how realistic that is, but there is obviously a major void in the market between Kontact and, uhm, what else? I could see this selling more copies than Renoise itself with a slightly higher price tag on it. Especially if the sample content comes around.

But as a DAW? Renoise is already the big dog at what it is, but it’s a piano roll world, and I just don’t think you’re going to break through that wall. Hope I’m wrong, though.

In terms of Renoise, and many things, “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” The real trick to the sampling in Renoise, is the requencing… Thus, you need the tracker. You need the, “entire program.”

B) :yeah:

This…

If it is’t broken don’t fix it.

After 10 years from first release, Renoise still looks alive and well to me.

I don’t really see what all the fuss is about, so there haven’t been any news articles for a year, so what? There probably isn’t much news to report… If I want to see how ‘alive’ a product is I look at the forums and the Renoise forum is buzzing with activity. I seriously doubt that the volume of recent news items will influence potential new users to try it out. Besides that, its a niche product in a niche market, there aren’t that many big name producers using Renoise that you could write about.

Here’s a suggestion, instead of wishing for more news and demo songs why not spend more time trying to write amazing original music, make a name for yourself, create a signature sound and tell everyone you used Renoise to make it. Then we can interview you for a news item and include your songs as bundled demos…

Maybe to you and me and the majority of renoise fanatics, that’s true. You will find a lot of people who are just not interested, though.

Perhaps, it depends. Surely the plug in would respond to midi. Could even have someone whip up some kind of DBlue Glitch style midi controllable/automatable “resequencer” for it.

Anyway, I don’t expect that it would happen nor would I seriously advocate for it. Beyond a post or two in this thread, anyway.

I wait years at a time for some of my favourite artists to release an album with very little word or buzz in between. It’s call ‘patience’ and ‘doing something productive with my time rather than waiting’. Silence can be a statement of maturity, of surety.

If suggested ideas are sinking like a lead baloon then it is up to the suggestor to accept that either 1) their idea isn’t a good one, or 2) their idea is before its time and the will have to be patient about it. There’s that word again: patience.

Letting everyone have their say in certain contexts can destroy purposefulness of the given activity. We’re all too familiar with these situations where someone pipes up with passion and lack of research, preparation and commitment. Here, we have a suitably democratic forum called the Ideas and Suggestions forum where you can put your 2c in. Good ideas get incorporated. ‘General Discussion’ is far too vague for the purpose of the software and community, and obviously homes many threads just like these. Let’s cut it out, and improve our usage of the other forums.

maybe lm angre but im not a blindfanatik and flooder

This is not what will really attract the people you would like to attract. For example, when you see the Venetian Snares video on youtube : the job is done, this simple video attracted thousands of users. You just need a BIG NAME, and a computer screen video capture and voilà. Contact BIG NAMES man, example : Skrillex. Ask him if he could record a video of his work with Renoise (assuming that he would like to do it and drop Ableton Live for a few hours), and display it on youtube. That’s all.