Is Jabbanoise dying? (no, it is not) [NSFW]

This is not what will really attract the people you would like to attract. For example, when you see the Venetian Snares video on youtube : the job is done, this simple video attracted thousands of users. You just need a BIG NAME, and a computer screen video capture and voilà. Contact BIG NAMES man, example : Skrillex. Ask him if he could record a video of his work with Renoise (assuming that he would like to do it and drop Ableton Live for a few hours), and display it on youtube. That’s all.

Your posts in this thread are pretty interesting.

But is comparing a product like Renoise to an artist really all that valid? The people we’re talking about in this thread are not you, are not any of us. We already know about the software. Of course WE don’t care about marketing, exposure, blah blah. Why should we?

But are you placing yourself in the shoes of the person who has never heard of Renoise? Just because he has never heard of it doesn’t mean he’s some FL Studio kiddie, wanting to make massive dubstep drops and doesn’t care about spending time to learn complex software. There are people out there, believe it or not, who are just like the ones right here in this thread, but simply have not been exposed to Renoise, or been exposed in the right way. “Patience” has no role in this. We’re not talking about waiting for updates. When people looking for software, they’re going to find the things that are mentioned on other sites, and the more recent the better.

Nobody (well, I’m not) is saying that Renoise should follow the paths of every other DAW out there with their marketing. But you can’t just say “oh we’re so indie and different! The status quo is fine.” That’s really easy to say when you’re a veteran user, rather than the anonymous masses of potential users.

What am I trying to say - Renoise need marketing and promotion cause it is brilliant and it is not so hard as it looks like. I am waiting so long for something at official website and after 6 months wrote this post. Really afraid that good “niche product” start to lose money without any interesting stuff and new names.

KURTS is right but I dont think that “waiting Skrillex” is the only way of telling people who are you. Sometimes I think - maybe Renoise is not for commercial music? Maybe it is impossible to write something different in it cause all these pianoroll things? But again, Hunz was so diiferent, you speak here about Depeche Mode etc so maybe somebody really needs information about this DAW? Not just tutorial (you ask me here about russian tutorial but we have many videos with russian subtitles) but something else?

Tell me - who comes here last year? Maybe you have some contests for newbies?

Remember a certain SIG that said, “Get off the forums, make some music?” That’s what Renoise is about.

last year there were the dead dog renoise competitions ;

type “dead dog renoise competition” in the search motor of this forum, you’ll find 37 competition rounds with hundreds (or even thousands) of visits.

these competitions required to use a limited or specific samplepack, or a specific rule.

today, this competition stopped

but who knows

Also Soundevotion Competition Round 71

Though not a Renoise-only competition you wouldn’t know from the volume of Renoise entries.

I’m not saying this is the direction Renoise should take. I’m just saying that this is something that would catch the quick-fixers’ attention.

Another possibility to consider here would be if the Renoise developers actually re-compiled the code into a new standalone product(s). That way Renoise the tracker could still be developed as a niche product, tailored for those who need to distance themselves from the mainstream.

I’d even say that such new software could become an excellent arranger, especially if it loaded multiple .xrns files and treated their contents (patterns, clips, instruments, samples, automations, etc) as objects. This is essentially what I’m saying in my points 1-2 quoted above. The encrypted containers in point 3 would work basically like Reason’s commercial refills do (i.e. you can use them within Reason, but not legally reverse engineer the refills).

I don’t understand the hate towards the OP. He has some valid points!

I don’t hate the OP, but what valid points?

1. The news section hasn’t been updated.

2. Renoise needs a celebrity endorser.

3. Renoise should be marketed to those who wish to create mainstream, commercial music.

What valid point?

Edit = Its great to have a niche. Many successful businesses, or markets that businesses can be successful in are niche.

Well, the fact that no news has been posted for so long is a shame imo. Even a simple happy new years wish would suffice. Small things like that show a connection with the community, and most importantly - it shows that Renoise is still alive and kicking!

Also I agree that there seems to be a lot of focus on the Glitchcore kind of music. There is a lot of quality music being made in a lot of genres by fellow Renoise users. It just seems like only the Glitchy stuff is highlighted. I’m not saying we must push commercial tracks. A more broadened view on things would be good enough :)

Anyway, I’m just posting my opinion. I’m not blaming anyone.

I find it funny how somebody can complain about the most recent interview being of Cristian Vogel and complain about the emphasis being too much industrial glitch hardcore music at the same time!! (yes I know the main complaint was time since the interview but the tone of the post makes me think he hasn’t a clue what music this is)

All this topic you are trying to say that everything is OK. You turn attention not to the main things! (“3 posts”, “we are renoisers” and so on). After that you say - these advices are silly and others, inspired by your emotional arguments suggested to close topics like this. But I dont think that this is good. Let me explain.

1. I never heard about the contests like dead dog etc and read about it on this page. Why are they NOT at news section or at blog?!
  2. I really think that because of renoise creators are composing music at the same time - this community is really too much glitchcore or something like that.

OK, forget my tone, forget everything but please - lets try to improve something in that ways! Why are you missed my proposal with kickstarter? Or with different music styles vocabulary or some tutorials like “DNB at 5 minutes”? I really think that renoise is SIMPLIER than some modern and expensive DAWS. Lets move this idea not just here, in the deep waters of already renoise users.

If I can help somehow - no problem. But I am newbie and as you see my English is awful)

OFFICIAL SITE, BLOG and DEMOS DEFINITELY NEEDS GREAT IMPROVEMENT! Nothing else.

Forgive me, but for me - Vogel is one more experiment with different kinds of noises. HUNZ is totally different and when I heard his compositions - for me it is really another edge of Renoise. Like old times when fasttracker was everything - from pop to symphony.

All I want is that there are new releases with some new features. All I want is Renoise to be alive. “Life” means “change”. Some musicians will be happy to learn about the new tricks their unicorn learned while they were tracking new music. Other musicians will continue using their old unicorn, as it still tracks their music pretty well. What unifies the musicians is the fact that they don’t want their unicorn to be turned into a pony that every teenager girl (or boy) takes interest in for it being cute and making funny noises.

If change means putting a pony costume onto a unicorn, I don’t want it - I would rather have a stuffed unicorn.

Once again. You are already “in the club”! Renoise have some advantages for total newbies so it is not a good tactic - release new 2.8 version and then totally ignore your only official way of communication FOR ONE YEAR

I think everyone agrees with the point about updating on the main renoise.com page. Maybe a few people would be less agitated if the staff talked about proposed changes more but to be honest, I’d keep using Renoise if the whole project died simply because it does what I want very well, and that’s been true since version 1.9.

For tutorials, I typed “Renoise Tutorial” into YouTube’s search

There are also some under “Blog” at Renoise.com, including some workflow and beat-making tutorials. They could stand to be a little closer to the front page, but they are there.

If advocacy is what you want, please start with yourself and advocate. Tell your friends about Renoise, why you like it, why you use it, and help them learn it. If you are not willing to do this, don’t bother the staff; it isn’t their goal. This software is almost free, clearly it is not intended to be a commercial endevour.

For competitions, try Competitions & Collaborations.

For a DJ tool or external .xrns player that can be turned into one, please offer to help the staff code it. More than a few people would like one.

For an encrypted .xrns/.xrni format, I suggest forgetting about it, it is against the spirit of tracking.

I hope that I haven’t said anything inappropriate here or put words in people’s mouths where I shouldn’t have. Sorry about bumping the thread.

On one side, I can agree with author of the thread that marketing of the Renoise could improve, a bit.

On the other one - as long as Renoise is profitable for authors enough to keep it growing - personally I don’t give a fak - I discovered Renoise and as user don’t really need anyone pushing me into using it more ;)

And yes, not everyone goes above 1200RPM/BPM ;)

Cheers for everyone and happy new 1996 year!

Renoise can’t be dying, it’s already dead, living dead. Trackers died at some point and then suddenly it came back to life in the form of Renoise, when it leaked out to the churchyard of nerds. Always looking for fresh brain. :P/>

If you were attacked by zombies and had to fight with old gear like old vinyl records, what would you use as a weapon ?