Is there a Key binding to close all open plugin windows?

Hello. I’ve searched around on the forums a bit but wasn’t able to find a solution to my problem.

I have a bunch of VST plugin windows open, with no good way of closing them. They’re always-on-top so they’re disruptive to using the renoise interface

I know that I can individually close each of those by clicking on the “editor” button, but that’s not very helpful when you’ve got a large number of instruments already open, and need to quickly close them.

How can I quickly close all VST plugins without having to go instrument by instrument and click on the “editor” button for each of them?

If it’s not possible to do this in the default interface, is it possible to write a tool that will do this for me? Is the functionality of hiding plugin editor windows exposed through the tool API?

Thank you for your help.

If you use Windows, The window plugins are displayed in a window frame that is from Windows, not Renoise.

They are floating windows of the Windows operating system (with something inside), which you can close with the ALT + F4 command.

It is possible to create a tool that closes all plugin windows (of instruments):

renoise.song():instrument().plugin_properties.plugin_device.external_editor_available=bolean (load only)
renoise.song():instrument().plugin_properties.plugin_device.external_editor_visible=bolean

Steps to create a function:

1. Get the range of instruments available.
  2. Iterate in that range by doing the following (for ins=a,b do):
    1. Check that each instrument has an .external_editor_available == true
    2. Then check if the window is open and close it (.external_editor_visible=false).
  3. Done!

You can place access to the function in the instrument box, for example.

I’m on Linux, so ALT + F4 is not going to cut it for my VST instruments. But your code snippet looks like it supports disabling editor windows across the board. I should be able to hack something together with it.

Thanks for your help!

Interesting, here with Linux Mint Debian, by default ALT+F4 is mapped to close window.

My window manager is i3, which is much more barebones.

As I say interesting, usually with most window managers they give a ‘close window’ keyboard shortcut. Doesn’t i3 have a ALT-SHIFT-Q shortcut on a window(?) Anyway, I’m sure you’ll be able to knock together a tool :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t mind creating the tool myself. But lately I am very busy. As soon as I have a little time I look at it.

The function must be really simple, with an iteration and a couple of checks to change a state.

@linq. Finally, I have created a tool for this. You can download it here:

1 Like