Jack Vs Rewire

I read some compelling arguments for JACK on CDM in the last few months, mostly in the comments.

Two reoccurring themes:

• Rewire has no 64bit support, probably never will?
  • JACK works on Windows.

I’m thinking [with some effort](http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?/topic/26193-linux-jack-transport-first-notes-skipped-sometimes/page view findpost p 229921) and communication, this community could lead the way in making JACK the standard protocol on all platforms?

good thinking.
i am a total linux n00b, and have not had much luck with making Jack + Renoise work (Crunchbang Linux) - honestly, haven’t tried enough either, just reverting back to Windows for Renoise. i’ll try to do some Jack for Windows, both for testing and for experience, possibly giving me a better chance of getting everything up and running in Linux as well.

I tried jack on linux and thought it was great. Does it work well with windows?

Is any of these protocols more exact than the other? I never looked in to it, but sometimes it feels like rewire sync is a little bit off.

I made a few attempts to get it working on Windows, but so far no luck.

Jack really comes into it’s own if you have a decent audio interface. It doesn’t work so well with cheap onboard audio cards.

I don’t understand people who attempt to even compose music with cheap onboard audio interfaces:p

i wish i had the money lying around for a quality audio interface. all of that audio stuff is damn expensive if you ask me. so for the time being i’ll make do with what my laptop will provide me with. but, rather make wicked sounds on a crappy soundcard, then crappy sounds on a high quality expensive audio interface!

ow,
at first I thought this thread was about cable routing vs internal routing and quickly gave my vote to Jack. Stupid me.
I never heard of jack (as a routing technology) before.

After googling, I have to say that I don’t regret my choice, because is JACK is open-source and that’s a 90% win.
Only thing is, that open source soft/technology doesn’t hit popularity today, mostly because perhaps developers enjoy chatting with companies more, than on forums.

Understand that I’m poor ;)

Even poor people can save money.
I have a default saving plan where a couple of bucks are being transferred to a savings account.
Every once in a while i check what the balance is and if it contains a nice amount (because i don’t check often, it mostlty does) and then do something with it.
And that is how i extent my gear.

I don’t understand the poll. Is it about what’s “better”?

And to complete the confusion: Jack on Windows is not like Jack on Linux.

Jack on Windows “only” works like for example Soundflower on OSX. Allows routing audio between multiple apps, and uses ASIO or Core Audio as backend. This means no application must explicitly support Jack unlike its realized on Linux. This way, by just doing audio routing, its not possible to synchronize multiple apps properly, which ReWire does.

And I’d guess that ReWire goes 64 bit, as soon propeller heads starts releasing their soft on 64 bit OSes.

Don’t want to say that ReWire or Jack is better. But point out its different on Windows. To make it work on Windows like on Linux, you have to convince the whole Audio software industry to add support for Jack. ReWire does the job just fine for them, so why should they do this?

The poll is useless. I added it with no real goal; to get people in the thread. I’m more interested in a discussion of the technologies. The point of this thread is to discuss the viability of JACK.

What? I was under the impression that a new version was released? E.g Version 1.9.7 or something?

Well from what I am reading on CDM:

This sentiment gets echoed in the comments and other forums, too.

Oh, there indeed has been some progress. Sorry, that wasn’t clear to me from the info on the web but is still unclear to me now. Is there any Windows or OSX application out there which makes “real” use of Jack?

Me too. I have no idea. Looking for a discussion. Never tried it.

If this is of interest: I am currently considering to purchase Renoise, and the prospect of Jack support on all platforms would be a very strong pro-argument. Jack just opens up so many possibilities! Also right now, there are very few professional programs like Renoise which are multi-platform and support Jack.

Oops, edited for having mixed up capabilities and possibilites…

I voted as Jack a month ago though.

I use soundflower now. Jack wouldn’t connect me to Ninjam and kept crashing Renoise when I tried to input from it. I miss the interface though.

64-bit rewire has arrived:

http://cdm.fm/pl5exX

Back to the drawing board.

vV - simple reason I use the onboard card - I almost always have my laptop on me, but I often don’t have my audio interface + mics. It’s like the old photographer’s saying - “the best camera is the one that’s with you.”

I’ve also noticed something about the gear I tend to reach for in my diminishing leisure time - for every 30 extra seconds it takes to set up a piece of gear, I’ll use it half as much (the same principle applies even more to functionality within music programs). For similar reasons I’m increasingly drawn towards workflow-centric mobile apps like nanostudio and nanoloop.

If I’m planning to record some live instrument parts with friends, that’s a different story…

Jumping in without reading a lot of the previous comments:

VLC has a plugin to output JACK, so sampling the audio out of video is way too easy now.

My experiences are:

Jackd has to have a good soundcard to work well, depending on your distro with kernel-rt.

On my Arch desktop-computer with M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Jackd runs very stable and good with Renoise and nearly no XRUNS.
Ninjam, Jackd and Renoise are without any problems using the right ninjam-scripts.

On my notebook on the other hand with standard soundchip on-board jackd is a mess.

It depends on how you work. I usually use Renoise with Alsa only and in addition QMidiArp.
I also open QJackCtl but don’t start jack, this way I can make complex midi-routing.