Non-Linux Jack

Am I right in thinking Renoise supports JACK on both Windows and OSX as well as the original Linux.

If so does anybody have a comparison/list of Pros/Cons as compared to using ReWire to connect two hosts together. Only a brief note on the JACK website from what I’ve seen:

Has anybody tried it between multiple programs on OSX or Windows? Quick skim of the instructions to use on Windows and I believe it uses a (fake?) ASIO driver to send to the connection kit, thus should be possible with any program. I know some programs (although believe it’s more a problem with drivers than programs) seem to struggle when trying to share ASIO devices. Renosie itself has a particular problem, in that if you don’t have Limited To Stereo In/Out then it will take all the resources available, stopping any later opened programs from picking up an unused output. Is this cause a problem at all? I think they suggest using ASIO4All, which has always allowed me to combine multiple streams in the past, so maybe this circumvents the worry…

Is there even MIDI routing and transport/sync on the ports or is that still in the realms of Linux only? Seem to have found slightly conflicting reports from searching which I can’t deduce the correctness just by observing the date (IE later implementation.)

Just wondering out of interest really but I would like to know any experiences.

Maybe should of bumped an old thread, such as This One, but most are fairly old and coming from at least a slightly different angle…

I never managed to get Jack working on Windows at all, but that was a soundcard (terratec) and windows (XP) edition back.
Regarding Asio4All, it doesn’t work on my current soundcard (ESI), don’t know why, but i guess Asio4AllAin’tAsio4Me :P

Really? Been good with everything I’ve tried it on and sometimes better than the official driver.

Development is fairly active, have you tried the latest beta? ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio

There is talk in the FAQ of some card needing certain settings such as for 16bit or 44.1kHz. ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver For WDM Audio

Or sure I remember a long time ago certain people saying the 1.8 version worked and not the 2.x for certain things (although not on their site but elsewhere) so may be worth trying. http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/SetupA4A.exe (Direct link but it’s from their site and can be found half was down the History page.)

http://www.asio4all.com/

Of course maybe it just doesn’t work ;)

JackOSX is working ok… there is no support for jack transport, but you can sync two programs with MMC if you need. While Rewire is more straight-forward and convenient to use, Jack offers some more I/O flexibility and something that I need more often these days: real-time performance recording from host (renoise or any other) and that just works. Until renoise doesn’t have that… I’ll take it. I have just recorded 5 min performance from renoise to… renoise sampler, and it works great! No glitches even on high CPU load.

Some sort like that…