Just started using Renoise... I have 50 questions!

OK I’m sorry you’re offended. I also am offended by a great many public things - but what can you do? But please, let’s have a little perspective here. The entire history of the United Kingdom, and most European countries is based on that symbol - the Cross has been upheld for millennia as a symbol of our national faith. It’s what everyone has always believed in. Everything that is good about modern society is thanks to that symbol. To me, that symbol represents my friend and Saviour Jesus, the man I owe everything to, who changed my entire life. He is everything to me. I don’t really see what is offensive about a symbol representing the kindest, nicest man who ever lived? So I’m sorry you’re offended, but you may not realise how much good that symbol can do for hopeless people and how much it can change their lives.

LOL, thanks! I didn’t know there was a full downloadable manual, very helpful. Cheers :slight_smile:

Thanks so much Raul, really helpful! :slight_smile:

Thanks Yoda!

Thanks once again! :slight_smile:

I wrote a long answer , but eventually deleted my whole post …giving info , I shouldn’t give.( not renoise related )

Never mind .

Fuck jezus , and fuck religion .

Nuf said

Resus loves you

It’ by a belgian cartoonist called Jeroom , he’ s quit famous over here .

More of his stuff .

https://www.jeroom-inc.com/

The thread was getting massively derailed, so I did some clean-up.

A new Renoise user came here seeking advice from the community, not to have a bunch of jerks ridicule his belief system.

So please keep your replies on-topic, guys, or simply go elsewhere if you have nothing useful or constructive to say.

Cheers.

1. My keyboard sometimes randomly stops working (suddenly no notes will play any more), so I have to unplug and replug and it works again? This seems to happen when I’m playing more notes at once. Not sure if it’s a problem with my keyboard, or a Renoise bug, or my PC?

Keyboards aren’t made for pressing multiple keys at once. Could be a cheap keyboard controller that will hang or deadlock or something. Maybe buy a miniature midi keyboard, e.g. korg microkey 37. Or is the keyboard still working, like moving the cursor, but sound stops?

1. How do you generate white noise?

Check this tool:https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-0-selection-shaper/41240 See the “W ****” button. It generates a raw white noise for you in a sample slot, so then you have to loop it and add further things like volume ADSR, filter ADSR and so on in the instrument section.

1. Important: How do you change the playback transpose? (Not the actual notes, just how it sounds.)

For most function you can imagine Renoise provides you with keyboard shortcuts - though not all are bind to a key by default. Check Preferences->“Keys” Button/Tab. There you can search, in this perticular case “octave”, and the view then filters for all available functionality containing “octave” (“transpose” would be like you mentioned an altering action, but you want to set the octave). I set “octave up” and “down” onto the numpad keys * and / (maybe default).

1. Do VSTs work with Renoise?

Yes, and keep in mind that there also is a “sandbox” for VSTs, which aims to prevent hard crashes, if a VST becomes unstable. Note that sandbox is kind of broken in macOS 10.12 or higher. If you use hardware DSP like UAD, then disable it. If you want the maximum performance, disable it. I disabled it, Renoise still is (was) stable.

1. How to show the EQ full-screen? To me, EQ is one of the most essential parts of producing music and I want as much control as possible - so the small box is really not helpful in my opinion.

Currently not possible, a pity. But you will get used to that tiny view. One pixel already is a big step. But you can at least zoom in in Y-axis, see bottom right corner. Also you can hold down shift very precise movement.

1. Is there any quick and easy way to toggle on/off all effects for a track?

No. Instead create a new track pressing alt-t, and play there. shit-alt-t for delete the track again.

1. I’ve been using trackers most of my life - I have a bunch of old Protracker files (.pt3) and various types of Amiga files (the type found at www.exotica.org.uk) - is there any way to get these into Renoise?

Not sure if PT3 is a custom format, or just a renamed .MOD? Renoise can load Protracker .MOD files properly. So search for a converter PT3->MOD (protracker). Old soundtracker .MOD have different pitches than Protracker .MOD, there also was a converter for that. I think it was Milkytracker, save to XM. See here

Hi,a couple more thoughts…

50.-Some USB keyboards (most membrane) do not respond to multiple keys pressed at the same time. However, some mechanical keyboards (and a few of membrane) are capable of reproducing a multitude of keys at a time by design (for example, mechanical keyboards for gamers, with a very fast response time). These USB keyboards are ideal for Renose.If you need to reconnect your USB keyboard, it is very likely that it is broken. A keyboard should always respond, regardless of how you press the keys.If you use a USB hub or extension, try to connect the USB keyboard directly to the motherboard, to see if it responds. Try changing the USB port …

11.-If you mean the effects of the devices in the chains of each track, it is possible to switch off and on all the devices using a tool. There are already some that integrate it. The track can receive parameters and automation effects. This is something else. But it is possible to turn off all the devices by means of a tool. GT16-Colors toolintegrates it, although it is an alpha; in its module 6 (ALL ON / BYPASS).I intend to include this function also in my VPDpro tool (not yet shared).

You can also use a doofer as a container for all other effects devices, although not the most practical.

The thread was getting massively derailed, so I did some clean-up.

A new Renoise user came here seeking advice from the community, not to have a bunch of jerks ridicule his belief system.

So please keep your replies on-topic, guys, or simply go elsewhere if you have nothing useful or constructive to say.

Cheers.

With an avatar like his ,he was asking for it …

Religious and sexual preferences is something you keep for yourself , no need to rub that into our faces .

I am highly sensitive and have a deep aversion for religion ad dogmatic belief systems.

@gentleclockdivider: you really can’t let go, can you?

ttps://renoise.com/tools/group-selected-tracks>>!!! install now<<

Nice one!

To everyone, thank you all once again! These answers are so helpful! :slight_smile: I forgot to thank OopsIFly before, so thank you so much! Thanks also to “Guruh”.

Again, I know that 50 questions was ridiculous. But I wasn’t expecting everyone to answer them all, just to chip in if they saw something they felt they could answer. I also want to point out that different people learn differently. Some people like to read an entire manual before they begin using something. But many people learn much better through conversation. We like to talk to people, ask, and find out things that way. (It also makes us feel more like part of a community rather than the “bedroom loners” that we actually are.) LOL

That’s really thoughtful of you, thanks! :slight_smile: