Keith303 Remix Contest

bump ^_^

I’m going for a stuck in the beehive remix, that melody totally got me! :walkman:

Will definitely not be able to make it better in any way, but slightly different perhaps. ;)

http://rghost.net/9932971

my entry i posted before

Here’s my Evaluate Your Life remix.

XRNS

Ah, linux. Do you have links for those plugins? I’m sure that it’s easy to install them but unfortunately I’m not a linux user myself.
Then, I’ll just add those links to the plugin pool (it’s nice to see LADSPA on the list)

@everybody: if you use soundcloud, I just created the Keith303 remix group there (adding my tracks as I type)

@Custard: I changed the rules to allow samples from all of keith’s tracks - you were actually breaking them

Less rules now, be creative

I’m doing a third remix - steambath - which is a tricky one to take into new territory. No idea when I’m done with it though…

So I just finished another remix - Steambath
I tried to take the first pattern and base the remix around that. Ended up way more complex than that

Download the Renoise song (required plugins: Crystal and Stardust. PC)

http://soundcloud.com/glixxando/keith303-steambath-danoise-1

can you list plugins that you lack?

Hmm… When opening the song, it contains a number of plugins: multibandcompressor, etc. Not sure about the exact names, but you surely know yourself? I’m at work right now, so I can’t really tell.

On my Renoise computer back home, I’m running winxp, so it’s not really an option to install the plugins there. I just want to add the links, so other people can enjoy the song - but the problem is, I can’t list those plugins because I’m not sure where the plugins were originally downloaded.

Well guys, i´m out :( I have made it FAR to complex for myself and there´s simply NO WAY I can get this done in time. I´ve worked with my remix for almost the whole month now and all I have managed to do is about 58 seconds !! :panic: Sorry but I really gotta throw in the towel… I would like to wish you guys good luck !

/RT

Same goes for me i’m afraid. :( Didn’t have enough time to add/reuse enough elements and finally create something enjoyable (at least for other people ^_^).

So we reached the last day of this little competition - too late to pick a song and make a remix? (yes, I did read the last couple of posts)

Once we cross the deadline at midnight (CET), the contributed songs are the ones considered.
Now, I’m leaving for a big festival in DK (packing my stuff right now), but I’ll return on the 4th, and hopefully Keith will have had the chance to select his favorite by then

Have a good time until then!

thanks to everyone that submitted a track for this little contest.
if i am not mistaken, these are the tunes submitted:

• evaluate your life (danoise reduction edit)
  • evaluate your life (custard remix)
  • jitter (danoise mix) [post2]
  • steambath (danoise remix)
  • 3 days until yesterday (khades 3 nights until yesterday remix)
  • 3 days until yesterday (rhowaldt’s remix)

so there are 6 remixes submitted by 4 individuals.
i will come up with a ranking due tomorrow evening, as i wanna take my time to carefully listen to all the entries - even though i’m pretty sure i’ve already found my favourite a while ago ;)

thanks again to everyone of you for taking your time to get your hands on those tunes!

thanks dude, i really appreciate it.

so here i go with my personal view on the submitted entries:

evaluate_your_life_(danoise_reduction_edit)
this remix/edit is relatively close to the original, keeping a lot of the original elements and the overall mood.
danoise did however spring for an entirely new arrangement, a genuinely fresh perspective - he also staged the individual instruments differently and gave new touches here and there.
there’s a lot attention to detail and sophistication going on, which is great.
i also like the high clarity of the mix.
in places where the original was totally crowded, this remix truely starts to shine in unadulterated transparency.

the only crticism i might mention is that there doesn’t seem to be any real “climax” or a part, where the listener get’s the impression that the tune has eventually cut through the surface.
when i reached the end, i felt a bit left alone with what i heard and had the impression that something striking was missing.

nonetheless a great tune and i really enjoyed the multiple listens i had on this one.

evaluate your life (custard remix)
the introduction really does it for me. lush soundings strings, playful vocal edits and skillfully programmed drums.
there’s a lot of energy rising throughout the entire intro.
problem with energegtic introductions is the listener expects a real thunderstorm after it - an expectation which get’s only partially satisfied. the break with the attached drop at 2:00 and 2:12, respectively, could’ve been a bit more dramatic and less raw for my likings, but still they’re doing their job ofc.
the reese-like bassline sounds lush and juicy, just like it should.

the twist in the arrange at 3:42 is nicely done as well. i also like the fact that you return to the initial them after that. it aids keeping things interesting in a solid way.

the quality of the mix is, just like danoise’s edit, top notch and sounds clear and well defined.
maybe the drums are a bit too upfront or the rest is a bit too soft.

overall this is a rather minimalistic sounding approach on the original, which i enjoyed very very much.

jitter (danoise mix) [post2]
really nice atmosphere during the first seconds already. the “drop” at 1:17 was totally unexpected and absolutely cool in its own way.
the melody of that theme simply rules :)
this is a very groovy and diversified tune which keeps you entertained all the way till the end.
it’s totally fun to see how you incorporated the original’s elements with your own themes and ideas.

really joyful listen!

ps. mastering ain’t perfect (some low frq interference with the strings), but such minor gripes can’t kill a good tune.

steambath (danoise remix)
a very interesting approach again. you instantly know it’s a steambath remix, even though it’s totally rewritten and not much from the orginal has survived.
danoise really knows how to remix stuff properly i gotta notice :)

i like how you made the track much more laid back and groovy.
an absolute head-nodder!

no real complaints on the mix or anything else in particular. this is just great stuff.
awesome and effectful ending as well.

to me, this feels like the most complete and thought-out remix out of all entries.

3 days until yesterday (khades 3 nights until yesterday remix)
so what do we have?
decreased tempo? [YES]
partially different effect/DSP setup? [YES]
new arrangement [NO]
enough content to make it a true remix/interpretation [NO]

sorry khades, the bove checklist may appear a bit blunt and even though i respect the labour you put into this i have to admit that i would expect a bit more new content from a “real” remix.
thanks for competing nonetheless - hope you don’t take my little review too personal ;)

3 days until yesterday (rhowaldt’s remix)
whee… interesting stuff there, rhowaldt. reminds me a lot of the “funkstörung” kind of remixes which took their hands on well known tracks and made them sounds like broken transmissions of the original song, coming from outta space.

i really think you’ve made a very good job on remixing this track in a skillfully destructive and slightly disturbing way without totally killing the origin.
so technically this is well elaborated and has certainly taken several hours to pull off… but the gripe is, it just doesn’t manage to hit my personal preference as much as some of the other entries… so it’s kinda hard to review this at all for me.

so if i had to pick a personal winner it would be danoise’s approach on steambath as i think it’s really the most “complete” and thought-out remix. technically and musically it knows to convince and also manages to put the original song into a totally new context without losing the fundamental connection.

ultimately, the obligatory compo-results would look like this in my book:

1. steambath (danoise remix)
  2. evaluate your life (custard remix)
  3. jitter (danoise mix) [post2]
  4. evaluate your life (danoise reduction edit)
  5. 3 days until yesterday (rhowaldt’s remix)
  6. 3 days until yesterday (khades 3 nights until yesterday remix)

thanks again for all your work, guys.
hope i didn’t discourage anyone with my review babble! ;)

Wow, I’m really happy that the steambath remix turned out as your favourite, because it’s the one removed the furthest from the original. After doing the ‘evaluate your life’ remix, I promised myself to take the next track to a completely different place. The ‘jitter’ remix (my personal favourite) was more different, but still keeping the overall mood and tempo, so I decided to do a third one.
And of course, saturating the contest with 3 remixes made it a bit more likely that one of them got appointed as the winner, but I felt really productive so…

Regarding the remix contest itself: since this is the first time I’ve done such a thing, so any and all feedback is very welcome.
Were the rules too strict? Would you like to have seen a ‘real’ price? If so, what kind? Etc.

@keith303: thanks for that review. i was hoping for a bit more in-depth about my mastering or whatever (since i have no idea of my qualities in that department) but it does not matter, pretty happy already with what you said about it, especially since this was my first remix ever.

i understand this, as most of your tracks don’t hit my personal preference as much either :) i liked 3 days until yesterday enough to enjoy remixing it, and i am in awe of the techniques you use. all personal preference aside, nobody can ever deny that you are a talented dude.

@danoise: really good job on the remixes. as keith303 said, you really know how to do a proper remix.
furthermore, i think the compo went really smooth. the rules were clear and not too strict and everything was properly organized. a real prize is always cool, but i’ve spent so much rounds in the DDRC compos that i would be very surprised to see an actual prize at the end of a Renoise forum competition. to me, this is not important. the importance is to learn, and i learn a lot from each compo in join in. that is more than enough of a reward, more than any prize could ever be. (plus, the lack of a prize makes sure you are not too envious of the winner who just walked away with that lifetime of Renoise upgrades, or that Buchla analog :D )

Thanks, this was the feedback I was looking for

Nice competition.
Thanks Keith303 and Danoise for giving this opportunity, had a lot of fun.

Very nice competition indeed! Well organized, very good response from keith himself. Thumbs up!