Keith303 - Stuck In The Beehive (+video)

it’s my contrib for soundevotion round 36.
currently only available in video format on youtube, since sdcompo.com is down atm.
unfortunately the framerate of the encoded version dropped to 15 fps for some reason, so sorry for the partially stuttering footage.

I allso started to stutter when I heard the song…

brilliant!

awesome :yeah:
like the track - and especially enjoying the ending. funny shit.
and looove the vid. retro-futuro style.
seriously… only 45 mins? you gotta be kidding me.

Wow :yeah:

Thanx for rocking so much!!

Keith, it’s awesome ;)) Respect man! Wondering what capturing soft did you use ?

thanks for your feedback guys!

@frequency
that’s camtasia studio. it’s very limited when it comes to video post-processing, but the gain of that is its simplicity. :)

Really cool video. Less is more!

The tune is, like always, beautifull :)

Jawdropping, production value is A+ as usual too on the sounds. Congrats!

Keith, correct me if I’m wrong …

I thought you said in the sdcompo oneliners that you rushed this song?

Then I see in the youtube comments that “the tune was made within 16-20 hours spread over one week”

I certainly hope I imagined that and you don’t consider 16 hours “rushing”. :P

I spent about 16 hours on mine this round and that is a LOT for me. Especially with 2 kids these days. :) Usually my SDcompo entries run anywhere from 5-8 hours

huh? last thing i remember to write on the oneliners is something like " currently working on the last few patterns … hope to get it done etc… " - that was a few hours before the actual deadline.
but with that, i didn’t mean to say that i was rushing things. actually i was working on it for about one week on a daily basis. the first patterns were even done 1-2 days after the release of the samplepack :)
maybe you’re also confusing me with knetter?
when i’d say something was “rushed”, then it would certainly not exceed 4-5 hours.

@everyone
thanks for comments!

Good stuff dude. No, I remember for certain also that Knetter said his was rushed. But I thought you said that too. I must have just misunderstood. Good to know. :D

If memory serves, you also said something like “when you are forced by the deadline, what can you do?”

Awesome track!

Really nice mix of styles :D

this is really good.

cheers

(fun to watch the video too)

superb

brilliant as always mr. 303

your demo (when i first opened Renoise to experiment for the first time) was a big factor in my decision to give it a try and ultimately purchase it and become hopelessly addicted to the world of trackers.

were there any plug-ins used? if not, did you have to manually program all of the glissando for the synth parts at around 7:50?

your rig? linux? win? os x? soundcard? external synths? sorry, just curious.

again, excellent as always. thank you for posting - keep on keepin’ on!

@all
thanks for each and every comment. really glad you seem to enjoy it ! :)

@synchro
i usually use a lot of softsynths / vst stuff, but as this tune was a contribution to a little monthly contest called “soundevotion competition”, no external effects and plugins were allowed to be used.
what you get is a couple of megabytes worth of samples (i.e. “samplepack”) and the allowance to use everything which is natively integrated in renoise.
what i love most about this is that such restrictions usually have a positive impact on my creativity and thanks to the deadline (you have to finish within 3-4 weeks) i actually finish a tune in a reasonable timeframe.

glad you could make some use of the demosongs bundled with renoise. if you could learn something from them, they absolutely achieved what they were made for, which is cool to hear :)

the glissando / note slides were done by simply spamming the effect column with the portamento to note command (aka “note glide” inside renoise). you can download the XRNS here and give it a go inside our favourite tracker yourself if you want.
i love the fact that the slides and portas sound way better now due to the higher resolution which was introduced by the LPB mode.

the specs of my rig are mentioned in my signature. the only external synths i own are the microkorg and an old & dusty yamaha cs1x, which is lying around somewhere out of duty.
but as mentioned before, this tune here is samples-only.

cheers :)

Dope track Keith, love how you work the internal effects. Could never find the patience myself for setting up chains like this :). grtz

@ keith 303

os WinXP SP3
cpu Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @4,1Ghz
ram 2x 2GB DDR2-1066
audio EMU 1212M, ASIO 8ms
visuals 8800GTS 640MB

Hmmm don’t get it ,how can your cpu run at 4Ghz? …the q9550 runs at 2.83 Ghz …unless you overclocked it :P
The fastest cpu to date is the Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9775 running at 3.20GHz

Confused

NIce song btw

overclocked, yes:

@btw
thanks

thanks for all the info mr. 303

indeed your original renoise 2 demo files (along with the beatblaughter vs. tenda file and several others) taught me lots and lots of things about the inner workings of renoise by watching them play.

i am still in awe by how you and many others here can regularly turn just a few samples into such excellent music.

edit: i figured out the .xml thing - bantai helped me over in the xnrs development and tools forum. i almost figured it out on my own except i compressing one too many directories to make it work. anyway if others are curious, here’s the link to more info on turning raw song.xml and accompanying sampledata folders back into the .xrns format so that renoise can play them.

question about .xml (the format found at the link to soundevotion from your previous post) - i am running os x and can’t seem to figure out how to parse .xml from the sdcompos file back into .xrns

the file was probably saved into the .xml format for maximum compatibility for the users at the compos, right?

i am also running os x 10.4 (for maximum plug-in compatibility on my old G5) which doesn’t have PHP 5 inherent in the os and this makes it trickier to convert the .xml back into .xrns - any thoughts?