Let's Breakbattle!

Hey folks. So there’s this idea I’ve had for a little while for a little breakbeat battle. I’ll try to describe it best I can for now, but maybe tomorrow I’ll post an audio example. What I’m looking to do is throw back and forth some beats. A 2player beat battle where each player picks a breakbeat as their weapon. Both in the same tempo or at least close enough to be stretched to match. The first 8 bars will be the first breakbeat with no changes made, the second 8 bars will be the second break. Much like introducing the two players. After the first 16 bars each player must articulate their break. Switching it up, cutting, chopping, glitching, stutterering it, anything you can think to do to funk it up. Going back and forth 8 bars at a time. And yes I do think 8 bars is a little short but it’s good to start. After the first 32 bars each player will get 16 bars to mess with. Then finally 32 each. anybody catching my drift so far? Anybody down?

are we gonna make music with the breakbeat or ‘breakcore’ style noise??
if hiphop is the thing im in

This sounds rad. I’m down.

It can be anything you want really. Your style is your style. Yaknow?

Sounds nice. I’m in.

This is gonna be fun I guess, I’m in too! But there has to be a determined BPM the 2 players are gonna work within the .xrns?

Well up for this! Will we be supplying our own breakbeat or be prescribed one, I guess what I’m asking is, will the unmodified break loop contribute to the final grade?
Will there be a restriction to only use the break and derivatives thereof? track limits? etc. I think we should have some limits, I like limits.

Well up for this! Will we be supplying our own breakbeat or be prescribed one, I guess what I’m asking is, will the unmodified break loop contribute to the final grade?
Will there be a restriction to only use the break and derivatives thereof? track limits? etc. I think we should have some limits, I like limits.

You can say that again.
But anyway, is the compo still on? Maybe TS can suggest a oldschool break, I can only give original work since I don’t have ma crates with me

Sounds pretty clear to me that you can choose a break you want. Otherwise if everything is regulated it’s not fun anymore.

It should be the same bpm. Which for Hip-hop and DnB fans alike will probably be somewhere around 160. Most breaks I find tend to be somewhere around that range. That’s 80bpm at half time.

I think it would be cool if people were able to use their own breakbeats. However maybe for the first go around I will be supplying the breaks. For that there needs to be some limitations because some breaks are longer than others. So I’ll chop up a bunch of breaks that I’ve collected and sync them to the same tempo, cut them to the same length, and attempt to get them around the same volume.

The unmodified break will not contribute to the final grade. Because there is no final grade.

As far as restrictions go. I’m still going to have to figure that part out, like weather re-sampling will be okay. I don’t feel like in a compo like this there will be a need for any bass or melody. But I am working on the audio example right now. I should have something up by the end of the day. Then I will post a short list of rules and restrictions. Too many rules and this wont be fun anymore.

Count me in!!

Sounds great! I know there’s no “final grade”, just searching for the right words.
I like the idea of a lack of bass or melody.Actually fine to provide own break if we go that way. Personally I see no real reason to rule out resampling etc… I will say that I’m probably not gonna have time to do this till the second round though.

im in for sure! i take it this is renoise dsps only right?

Yeah. It should just be renoise. I want to say you could use non-renoise vsts and etc. But you run into the problem of someone who doesn’t use the same vsts. Otherwize you have to render sections to sample.

Cas
Wahrk
Td6d
8track
Kickofighto
Ninja_pwn3d
Lethargik

So that’s 7 and then me.
Perfect!

Let’s go like this for our opponents.

Cas vs. Wahrk
Td6d vs. 8track
Kickofighto vs. Ninja_pwn3d
Lethargik vs. Yourlocalloser

Is it just me or does it seem like these matches are themed? I’m really pumped to see what kind of karate chopped and ninja sliced beats will come out of the match between ninja_pwn3d and kickofighto.

Td6d and 8Track. A massive drum module transformer vs a giant tape looping octopus. Let’s just see if this octopus can play the drums!

I have no idea what a cas or a wahrk is.

And finally yourlocalloser vs lethargik. let’s see what kind of mess these lazy losers can make…

I still need to finish that little format example. I forget that it will take twice as long to vs myself

Howbout each of the paired opponents decide on a small set of rules.

Here’s a guide.
Tempo:
Length of break:
Time-signature:
Vsts: allowed/dissallowed (if allowed which ones)

I can’t think of anything else I want to put on this.

I’m gonna leave what breaks you use up to the player. But as a rule both players breaks must be the same length.

Since i’mstill tryng to get a good set of rules and limitations.

limitations

1. No melody or bass may be added unless it is already part of your break. If you have the skills to create the bass and melody using the givin break then go for it.

I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think of anything else.

Guys help me out with this.

Should resampling/rendering to sample be allowed?

A wahrk.

Cas, my good man! What say ye to this?

Tempo: 162? (I don’t really care honestly.)
Length of break: 4 bars?
Time-signature: 4/4
VSTs: FUCK THAT SHIT.

I think it would be cool and challenging to not allow rendering and restrict it to one instrument per person, though I’m down if everyone else wants to use it.

Lol, yeah… I’m a few weeks into Renoise (and not long into producing at all), hope I can do all justice :)

So, td6d how about these rules:

Tempo: I would not want to prefer 80 or 160 BPM, rather something in between (120 maybe?) Alternatively a random number generator can decide: http://www.random.org/

Length of break: 4 bars I guess?

Time signature: 4/4 all the way

VST: I would prefer to not use any VSTs

Break: whichever we want as long as it meets the length of break stip?

Here’s a template I threw together.

Let me know what you think, yll.

Am I too late?

Sounds good man. How do you like this?