'live' Pattern-change Behaviour

+1 for some kind of simple and temporary live solution, yes!!
will soon be playing live, this would be perfect for me as well.

and what i’d REALLY like is if triggering patterns back and forth could be done also without
using a mouse, gives a better feel while playing live and looks better too, imho :) customable
shortcuts would be superior.

I like the idea. Actually I dont really care about the live mode, but I would love to be able to edit one pattern while playing back another.

+1 solid concept

please, together with:

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?s=&…st&p=134358

(Option D)

green or whatever, asynchronous pattern edit rules!!!

Have really not thought about the actual implementation but how about (ability) to separate patterns and playlist/play queue all together? So it would be possible to queue patterns/pattern sequences into playlist and scroll through and edit others? Maybe some way to group pattern sequences and queue them as an unit? With ability to use separate outputs? Wouldn’t this be really good for live usage?

Just a throw in the air, needs much more thinking, but as an idea appeals to me.

Decoupled play/edit cursor is a different feature than the subject of this topic. It will have massive development impact and since it is not a beta related idea/suggestion/question, perhaps we should discuss it further in http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…hl=asynchronous @ the ideas and suggestions forum.

Yes, sorry didn’t mean to spam. Seems just like a workaround for bigger conceptual problem.

I agree: we all look forward to the revolutionary sequence-related concepts/implementations that are surely just around the corner ( ;) ) but the aim of my having resurrected this minor request is that live-performing Renoise users might have something to whet their appetite in the meantime.

I also think it would be a good way to kickstart debate about a fully-fleged live mode - all sorts of things will occur to people on stage, using a this small feature, that might never have occurred to them in the studio and while posting on this forum :)

Denim - I use a mouse only when absolutely necessary, so I had keyboard shortcuts in mind when I made the original post. In Milky, when live mode is enabled, patterns are browsed with shift+left/right, so in Renoise I’d assume it would be ctrl+up/down. But I think that sort of functionality is implicit and would be inherited from current behaviour, since all this feature would practically do is arrange the playback order and postpone the pattern-switch.

+1

Let it be known that I signed up for the forum just so I could +1 this!

I’ve done live stuff with Renoise before but this little change would open up a lot of possibilities.

+1 definately

like Bantais solution. ( sorry danoise :P )

+1 for this tiny live mode too

one of my wishes since day one.

i like both ideas,danoise have some good points about the colour

I see what Danoise meant about the colour, yeah, but since the shading is in effect already, what about a flashing box? I mean given the context, a flashing alert would be a great way to keep the musician aware of where the playback is about to jump to! The flashing box never actually got implemented in Milky, and I’m not sure why, but it would help in a dark club…

May I suggest a numbered labeling system instead of underlined? Just one smaller digit in a corner of the affected frames to reflect the play order… like what XMPlay does :)

teknocide - like XMplay does? I’m not sure I understand which XMplay feature you’re referring to…

Anyway, numbered queueing is a sound proposal, but the thrust of my initial suggestion was that this feature would be as simple and basic as possible in the short term while something more fully-featured, i.e. with complex queueing/precedence ordering/etc could wait until the eagerly awaited sequencer overhaul.

Having said that, I don’t think numbering would be too complex in the code at this stage…it all depends on what Taktik and the other developers think about this proposal in principle and how much time they’re willing to spend on it at this stage. Because, I swear to God, as soon as this feature appears, I’ll perform live and in public with Renoise that very night after wetting myself profusely with excitement.

+1

I Programmed some keyboard shortcuts
to change the patterns with SoundStudio On Amiga
by Pressing the Num Keys: 0123…

I only have one Pattern in the song/pattern List,
and that’s the one that I can change in realtime…

SoundStudio on PC lacks custom Keyboard commands…

Why not just settle with a basic idea? Keep it simple, as suggested.
It’s really a question of de-coupling the playback and sequencer position, if I understand lightbomb correctly.

Small differences aside, we already have something similar in Renoise: the scroll lock key, which de-couples cursor position from playback position!

Imagine this for the pattern sequence:

Hit space, the song starts playing. Nothing unusual going on. Playback continues for a few patterns. Then, the magic switch! Now, we are free to move anywhere we like in the song, while playback is still going on about it’s business.

If we want the song to catch up, we simply hit the ‘loop pattern’, which would force the next pattern to start at our present position!

And add flashing graphics!

Danoise - sounds reasonable! To be honest, I’d settle for absolutely ANYTHING that would let me use my favourite DAW with even the slightest improvisational freedom in public.

That’s not to say I’ve lost interest in the specifics, but I think because the various suggestions are so very similar to oneanother, the best thing would probably be to just have a feature that fulfilled most of the requirements, then we’d just learn to love whatever we were lucky enough to get :D

Sadly though, all signs point to nothing of this sort being implemented in time for version 2.0. I guess I’ll have to use fucking Ableton or some dreadful shit like that while shedding tears for Renoise live on stage. Whenever I complain about Ableton, people say “well why not use Renoise for shows, since you keep going on about it all the time?” Well…

+1 on this feature!