Live Performance Brainstorming

Leon: I thought as much, and have tinkered with the session sequencer a fair bit in the past, which seems extremely powerful. It just seems a tad confusing when you’re trying to find your way around it. I guess I’ve just got to let it ‘click’ with me before I can really get into using it, but no time to learn right now. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

I’m working on a live patch with renoise rewired to max msp. You can map a midi slider to multiple parameters in this way using midi yoke, so you could probably make the crossfader idea with that by assigning inverse track volumes as was suggested.

My idea for live use of renoise with max/msp involves basically noise and drone instruments which can be manipulated in a fairly spontaneous live way (using pads and sliders), then any sequenced material or beats in renoise can be played in a synced or unsynced way alongside the max instruments (where renoise is master). I’m also buildling in controls to use renoise effects where multiple parameters can be controled from the same slider. I’m building a cunning method where basically: you have 12 pads on the KorgPadcontrol, when you hit one it changes the routing of the KorgNanokontrol, so the sliders correspond to the pad you just hit (thus as if you had a set of sliders for each pad). At the moment the whole thing is a big mess but its getting there gradually, it also runs with fairly low cpu stress at the moment; one of the big advantages of using renoise is rewiring the max stuff through the renoise effects where you can build different chains quickly and easily (and which run fast) without the need to design an equivilent system in max.

The problem with adding some of the features suggested is they are so specific to genre - crossfaders and options to sync up 2 songs could be cool, and great if your making techno or similar styles that would be at a fixed bpm, but certainly not useful for everyone and thus potentially bloats renoise. I would almost be inclined to say that if you were going to have a DJ mode in renoise, it ought to be a seperate application. That way you load up your renoise songs but you just have the options you want for moving between patterns and assigning controls to parameters, without overcrowding the interface with things you are simply not going to use in a live scenario (and likewise when you are writing the tracks). You could also design it so its ready to go out the box with some of the timecoded vinyl solutions. I think that would be great, i’d use it/pay for it seperately but it’d be too much to have in the standard renoise in my opinion.

The new pattern moving feature is cool, but im not convinced that more features which turn renoise into a tracker version of ableton live is necessarily a good idea. I would be much more in favour of midi in/outs and rewire control for as many renoise functions as possible to enable unique live methods to be developed by users, not just clones of what you can already do on ableton live- after all if you really want those features then sure you’ve got the option to export all the patterns and load them into ableton live. The idea of moving between scenes and clips is a fine one but its not the only one; i tend to look at it from the perspective where i’m not really fussed about swapping clips around because i build sections of music which are meant to go together. If i were making techno tracks it’d be useful, because you can have rhythmic loops not based on specific toneality which go nicely together and could be swapped around. but its not necessarily that useful for performing other styles live. So i’d say just impliment more midi functionality and let people sort out how a live scenario should work themselves based on that.

Hmmm so i guess you mean run them via Reaper as an ASIO hub or something right ?
That is the only way i know of that two apps can share one ASIO card reliably

How well does two instances of Renoise react to MIDI control too ?
Oh by the way beat matching isn’t an issue for me believe me ;)

Cheers
Bungle

No ASIO drivers here, DirectX gives me a good enough latency and I don’t need the track-routing feature.

Perfect, in my experience! CC#1 can control something in Renoise instance A, and CC#2 can control Renoise instance B, no problem whatsoever.

I’ve made some live crossfading patches using PD, I could share them if you’re interested?

I’m interested!

i just got plogue bidule,and i have mnearly completed a live enviroment all in bidule.

maybe i should try to see if i can make one with renoise rewired to plogue

for this task what would be best

renoise as master or slave??

try both i think, it should be easy to get both set up and see what works. i went with master because i wanted to use the renoise effects on my max msp instruments and mix everything in renoise, so you can think of max as an instrument within renoise, albeit a wiley one which can also adjust parameters in renoise and do midi routings (with midi yoke). if the idea of renoise as an instrument in bidule sounds more like what your after then you probably want renoise as slave.

I’ve been exploring ways to do several things this evening without the aid of extra apps like MIDI yoke, and rewired apps etc, and managed to get some good results, so I thought I would share them with you…

Whilst running 2 instances of renoise (say for x-fading options) the following was applied:
I have a USB Korg Kontrol49 midi k/b, and a seperate delta1010 sound card, so to start, I plugged the MIDI out from my k/b into the delta’s MIDI in. I then routed MIDI ins & outs accordingly, and things worked the way they should. I can control 2 device parameters (each in seperate Renoises) with one controller, and with no noticeable lag, which is nice to know, and pretty much resolves any x-fader issues I might come across if ever I need to mix 2 tracks.
On a further note, I discovered that plugging the MIDI in directly into the MIDI out of my k/b can produce the same result, provided one renoise uses the ‘usb in’ whilst the other uses the MIDI in loop. So it appears that I’m lucky enough to have 2 seemingly independent MIDI devices in one keyboard which would prove very useful for gigs when using my laptop which has no other MIDI sockets.

Anyway, my next thing to test was my control options on a single instance of Renoise, and hope to acheive something similar to what I did with ableton as described earlier in this thread:
I like to be able to control most of Glitch whilst it sits on a send channel, so I set up 2 hydra devices to control the all 9 of the primary & secondary effect parameters, each with it’s input assigned to a fader on the k/b.
I then assigned 8 pads to the gate functions in glitch, and was pleased to see that there were no crashes like I had in ableton, and once again, everything was responsive - so major kudos to the devs for the excellent stability :)
Finally there was the matter of being able to contol the send amount of each track (all routed to the glitch send track), which worked perfectly well, but at the last hurdle, the problem became apparent… One MIDI controller needed to control 2 parameters, one being the send level, and the other being the mute/keep source (which isn’t assignable anyway). This meant the original sound would play whilst glitch did its stuff over the top which sounded a tad cluttered to say the least! Luckily, a simple workaround was made by placing yet another hydra device on each track, and assiging it’s value to the tracks send amount, and a gainer device level which was placed AFTER the send device with the min/max level value inverted.

So, a good few devices later and some tweaking has basically allowed me to have the same control as I did in Ableton without the instability which makes me very happy! The only slight niggle now is that I can’t really have the same control over 3 seperate tracks (say with breaks) with one fader, particularly as I don’t have many faders left!

The inability to load more than one song is the only limiting factor with my particular live setup now, and although it’s possible if I go through the wrigmarole of loading up a second renoise, and plugging my k/b’s in to it’s out and using a secondary midi device, the whole concept of how each track in each tune is affected starts to make my head hurt even though it works fine!

Jeez, I’ve ranted on a bit here, I was kind of typing as I did it, sorry!!

If anyone wants my plugin chains with all the glitch parameters nicely tuned for experimenting, lemme know :)

One final thing, does anyone have any info on the hex needed to send MMC controls? I’ve experimented with info I found on wiki, but it’s been a good 10+ years since I explored MIDI sysex and not had a lot of luck.

p.s. forgot about this tool we can use to MERGE songs :D

https://forum.renoise.com/t/merge-songs/18643

thanx genfu will try it out

And here is a basic xrns showing what I’ve done…

http://www.loopproject.com/filebase/renois…litchchain.xrns

There’s some info in the song comment indicating which controller does what ;)

p.s. don’t forget to install glitch of course!

I-F

I’m very interested!

I’ve been using reniose live for 4 year now. Within the first month of using renoise I was jamming out with friends. I was using one pattern songs. Turning tracks on and off, beatmatching by ear( pressing space bar on the beat and moving the tempo up and down to mach up), loading samples and writing tracks on the fly, going nuts on the fx, and using vst’s and a midi keyboard. I think this is the best way to learn how to use renoise because you have to think fast and figure out how to do what you want to do as fast as you can.

Now I’m playing in 2 bands using renoise. The Megadrives and Hypnotic Buddha.
http://www.myspace.com/themegadrives
http://www.myspace.com/hypnoticbuddha

In the Megadrives, its two people using renoise and running in a 2 channel mixer. Our hole set is jamed out mixing tracks that are 1 to 3 patterns long and we match up by ear. In our album Press start we recorded 10 out of the 12 tracks live because it was easier that way.

In Hypnotic Buddha there’s a live band ( singer, bass, guitar, mandolin, drums) and me on renoise. I’m the back bone to this project, if I’m not playing they’re not playing. So to make a transition between songs effect I have 2 renoises open. Have one playing while the next song is loading in the other.

One thing I love about renoise is the low cpu so I can have all my vst’s running smoothly and not having to render them so I can have more synth action. Using renoise live has has been a long learning experiment. My advice is to constantly experiment and see what work for you. Also get your friend hoked on it and learn their tricks (that’s what they did to me).
word :ph34r:

Topic: crossfading renoise instances:

Here you go!
renoise_crossfader.zip

Requirements:

1. A virtual MIDI routing device, such as MIDI Yoke
  2. PureData (the patch is made with v0.39)
  3. 2xRenoise, configured to listen to the virtual MIDI port :slight_smile:

I’ve included two Renoise DSP-chains as well - makes it a snap to “crossfade support” any song :slight_smile:

anyone done something like that with plogue bidule??

@s-n-s : the patch is really simple - look here

Great! Thanks Danoise will give it a bash!

Its even simpler in Reaper
Just rewire it or rearoute it
Reverse the MIDI control of the two channels
Done
Then again i can throw a DJ mixer together in VST in ten minutes or something if anyone would find that even easier ;)

Cheers
Bungle

Tutorial video
Plugin

OK so i thought screw it i’ll make the plugin fader
As usual went a bit over the top so as you can see it has auto fade and stuff too hehehe
Anyway read the read me it tells you how to set it up
Enjoy

Bungle

feckin’ hell Bungle, you have won the internets!!! Thanks

Anyone else using the piggy aka little gptracker? I think renoise could learn some things from the no-nonsense simplicity of the arranger. Basically, it works as follows: On your main screen, you are presented with an arranger, where the tracks are displayed side-to side, and the playing cursor scrolls down. Now, in live mode, you can at any moment queue a certain track, and it will start playing in sync after one of the currently playing tracks gets to the end. I’m not the best at explaining, but it’s really simple and works extremely well. Mapping some midi control to trigger tracks would be trivial.

Have a look at the website LGPT, or look at some screens here (scroll down to “live mode”)

Such a thing could be a real inspiration for a simple arranger in renoise AND a working live mode feature.

Just my 2 cents