Live Performance Brainstorming

nice one bungle

thanx for the layout danoise,i have started on making my live set-up rewiring renoise as master bidule as slave,btw is it possible to control the sounds from bidule with pattern commands in renoise?i dont seem to be able to get it to work?? :angry:

you should be able to send midi data from renoise and use that to control your sounds. at the moment i’ve got just a basic 1 octave output patcher that sends notes C-4 to B-4 to the patch without velocity data. you need to set up an instrument as a midi device (the premise is the same as hooking up a hardware synth to be controlled via midi):
go instrument settings > midi properties > device : select a rewire device (e.g. bidule rewire 7)
enter patterns with that instrument and it sends as midi to bidule (assuming you set up a device to recieve midi note in data in bidule). also look at the midi-control device, once you’ve set up an rewire/midi instrument assign the midi control device to that instrument and you can send pattern commands as CC values. i’m guess the normal pattern commands (retrig,offset etc.) don’t translate.

i’m sure someone mentioned this already, but is there any way to control the scene/live-style switching between patterns, from an external automated source other than clicking? I assume there is no midi control for it yet, but if its possible to assign a keystroke shortcut…maybe? Actually probably midi is what i need though, as i’m guessing even if I send direct keystrokes, you’d have to have renoise clicked on/maximised/restored in order for it to register… hmm… that’d be some awkward macro type to organise.

thanx again genfu :D

(Actually maybe i put this on the wrong board. It is half renoise after all/…)

external for my max5/renoise rewire patch here if anyone fancies a peak:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/rewire-max5-renoise-patch-external/25330

Would it be possible to use 1 comp, 2 screens, 1 renoise on each screen, and use one of the renoises as midi clock master and the other one as slave?

Edit: Just figured out it won’t help me much anyway since renoise won’t open the asio-driver twice… But would it be possible?

I presume if you had two audio interfaces you could assign one Renoise instance to each, then maybe use a hardware mixer?

(I still think the pimpinest thing would be to just take two separate laptops and a DJ mixer on stage. Hell, the laptops could both be running Winamp and it would still be cool. :unsure: )

Yep that will work
If you want to use ASIO then you run Reaper as a hub
use rearoute as your ASIO in each renoise then Reaper basically just becomes your ASIO driver before going to the one ASIO card ;)

Bungle

Hmmmmmm interesting, thanks… I’ll have to look into that :)

I watched your “easy sidechaining with reaper”-vid bungle, and to be honest I’d rather avoid having to use another program “above” renoise like that… Is it possible to use ASIO4all or something for running 2 renoises on the same asio-card? I’m not sure how asio4all works, i’m just thinking maybe that could be an option.

If not, how hard is it to set up the reaper/renoise combo?

Edit: I think I should start reading up on stuff before asking about it

To run two instances of Renoise into Reaper you are going to want to use Rearoute not Rewire
You can’t run two Renoise slaves in Rewire but Rearoute works just as well anyway ;)

Bungle

i’ve been doing not much else but learning renoise in and out as much as i can for the past few months. i’m working on a 30min set in renoise that i plan on playing live. i though i’d share some tricks i’ve been using.

i have a personus firepod that i run 4 stereo outs into a numark 5000fx dj mixer. i’ll run 2 different drum tracks at the same time through different outputs and assign them on either side of the crossfader. the effects processor in the mixer is pretty decent. i wouldn’t use it in the studio, but it makes for some great on the fly effects live. also i’d like to try this with a kaoss pad, but i don’t own one… yet…

yeah! the piggy also requires only 5 buttons and a d-pad to control. once you figure out how to copy and paste it is very powerful… the separate song, cycle, pattern and table screens also makes it easier to focus, and give you options for what to loop in live mode. not sure about midi options though, since i’m using it with a psp…

i’ve watched someone do a live set in renoise and i still can’t figure it out…

Or (I know, this idea won’t be using Renoise “live”) render all songs to mp3 and use Pacemaker Editor to mix the songs. But then again, maybe it’s a bit tricky to get it sound good live… nevermind.

i am working on a set-up involving plogue bidule,renoise and mobius

the firsts tests works alright but still need to do some modifications

A feature like render all files to one file would cool if made to be flawless. Like each songs sample bank/temp/properties scrolling through with the song.

I’m getting into it on Ubuntu now.
Multiple workspaces and Jack is a blessing here.
Starting to build a simple PD patch to do a couple of things.
Haven’t tried anything with multiple renoises yet though so there may be some issues with jack. Dunno yet though.
Anyone tried this?

dont know if it is possible to make something with use of multiple instances of renoise in something like plogue bidule?

I prefer to have both my virtual turntables in one app, fullscreen like any other dj-mixer. Running two renoise would mean carrying two tft-screens with me.

Agreed.

Being able to mix two renoises without any other software would be the bomb.
I like renosie for it’s elegance. I’m not planning to make an unstable cluttered highly complex setup around it, but yeah, maybe I have to :)

Bungle

Please, can You told more in details about it.
I send 1 renoise to Reaper, but I have problem with sending 2-nd renoise

Ok, or in this topic https://forum.renoise.com/t/rewire-rearoute/17942

says

Please, can somebody explain me about this “different outputs”.

Thanks!