Live Performance Brainstorming

i’ve read thru your posts, and i’m glad to see there are so many that are interested in being able to perform live with renoise. when version 2.1.0 came i was happy happy to see that we’re getting somewhere.

what’s really missing is proper midi-mapping !! :wacko:

i’ve spent a few hours downloading VST instrument and -effects. i’ll see if any of them can do me any good. i’ve got a korg padkontrol which in theory can be used in 2 instances of renoise, or renoise and another application. midi port A and port B make this possible. my soundcard, native instr. audio kontrol 1 has 3 midi buttons and a knob. the knob can be assigned to xx CC, while button 1 + knob, button 2 + knob and so on give me even more knobs. i just placed an order on a korg nanokontrol, which has 8 sliders and 8 knobs and a few buttons if i’m not mistaking. next on my shoppinglist is a pair of studio monitors and a midi-keyboard.

Pertaining to the thread subject, I like what he says in the end.

It’s been a few months I’m using renoise live in a band, but I’m very frustrated because I can’t really see how to interact with the software, appart from starting the song, tweaking some effects parameters through a MIDI controler, muting tracks and switching from one pattern to another.

I’m not trying to do something DJ style, so running two instances of renoise and using them like two turntables isn’t very interesting either.

Anyone found another way to interact with renoise ?

At this point, I’m thinking about using Renoise to compose a song, exporting it as isolated loops and loading them in a looper that allows me to break them down, shuffle them and so on.

renoise doesn’t yet have enough midi control functionality to make it an intuitive live performance tool imo…
i use an alesis mmt-8 with nord modular, emu esi-2000, korg r3, akai mfc42, tc m300 and a mackie onyx 1640 desk.

you could try using renoise with mobius,its a looper vst,and its pretty great,im trying to get my head around it

If only,…

wicked !

Is there a point to this ? I mean, you can do pretty much the same thing by exporting your tracks to single files and using a third party DJ software.

Okay, you could play with effects and mutes live, but is it really worth the cost ?

Perhaps with Linux and Jack you can already do some kind of this mixing. At least audio routing is a lot easier with Jack than with ReWire.

The earlier comments about proper midi mapping are definitely right.

What could really push live tracking as viable and something completely new would be if you could bind pattern commands to midi.

I really like the possibilities opened up by changing the LPB, the pattern break command, and the pattern delay command.

If you could instantly hit the pattern delay command adjusting the amount by rotary dial or something, then jump to another part of the pattern, looping that for 4 lines. There’s some real nice opportunities there, totally different to ableton and such.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

way off topic: Artist - Kseniya Simonova - Sand Animation - Ukraine’s Got Talent 2009 Winner …via geekologie

more of an inspiration really on performance

I was wondering, seeing as people don’t really perform live renoise, what software do you actually use? I’m looking into “i am the mighty jungulator” right now but do you guys know of any other options…

+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

That said - even though I own Live - I’m currently working on some Renoise tracks with the aim of playing live with Renoise. I’m focussing on what I CAN automate/MIDI map rather than thinking about what I can’t map…

…the Hydra device is very useful in this respect ;)

Amazing easy hack you’ve got there. Kinda like pattern select via midi.
+1

Because:

Well, it ain’t a live-set that way, right? I would be happy to present myself as a live-act, instead as dj. So for me, yeah, it is worth the cost. There are so many djs, and not that much livesets. Besides, it fun! ALso: I don’t want to export my tracks, I don’t want to load them in any external program whatsoever. I’ve got this great software tool here in front of me, and I would love to take it on stage. Show it to people. “the game is played in the field”, and games need good tools. A dj-app ain’t gonna cut ut, pun intended :)

edit: off topic.

I’d also really love to use renoise live. I’m controlling everything from my BCR2000, and it seems it’s possible to control volume and mute (using a gainer plugin) on goup tracks. But moving around in the song structure from the BCR is not possible at the moment.

Consider the following pattern structure:

Intro
Intro (continued)
Verse
Verse (continued)
Bridge
Chorus
Chorus (continued)
Interlude

A simple mapping of queueing patterns by midi would be a start, but often (in the above structure) I’d like to:

1. Queue bridge, then go to chorus, and loop chorus.
  2. Queue verse and loop those two patterns

Imagine an in-between-abstraction where you could setup “entry points”, which in turn could be triggered by midi. An “entry point” would consist of

a) Which pattern to start at
B) A selection to loop

Then 1) could be achieved by setting up an “entry point” that starts at Bridge and loops the two Chorus pattens.

Does is make sense?

if anyone is interested, here is a link to some recordings from a concert where i was using my max/msp + renoise patch, to create improvised electroacousticy noise and drone type of stuff:

http://www.jonweinel.com/media_files/JW_RR_4.11.09.zip

i posted some videos and this patch a while back but this is the first time i actually used it ‘live’ outside my bedroom… worked okay i think (nothing crashed at least!)

just tried jamming today with my nocturn
some things that would be nice “live”

controll the internall renoise effects with nocturn

able to record the automation you are doing with the nocturn(as it does in ableton live)

a way to “loop” patterns by midi

easy enough to control renoise effects with the nocturn, just set the midi #cc of the nocturn controls to the parameters you want to control in renoise by right clicking.

one thing you could try is to make a fairly simple midi patch in plogue bidule (it was bidule you were using?) which goes between renoise and the nocturn. by doing this you can map nocturn controls to mulitple parameters in renoise (ie. one dial controls filter cutoff, reverb time and ring modulator freq. simulatenously). you would also be able to record automation in this patch without too much trouble. i actually thought of doing this a while ago in max/msp and posting it as an application build, where you can select all the midi parameters in the patch, save them etc. but i haven’t had time and besides can’t be too long before you can map multiple parameters to the same #cc within renoise… also i seem to recall someone posted something which did this more effectively for the korg nanokontrol which is mainly what i’m using for this over the nocturn.

looping patterns via midi would be a little more tricky, in theory it may be possible by converting midi to direct-input keystrokes which ‘press’ the keys to affect looping. but i think it would be a flawed way of doing it; for this really we need further control over renoise via midi…