Lv2 Plugins

+1 for LV2 support

LV2 is totally the future for Linux, looks like Ardour is the work around, getting sick of it though, kills work flow and it becomes a pain trying to manage everything. Jack is awesome but I want my Linux to function like every other OS, load up your DAW and start making music.

LV2 support for linux is only good if it works on win and mac for me
the only thing that made me by renoise is the linux port because
the people I do music with have win and I have archlinux
LV2 could be it
they have nice idea

not that you should listen to me at all

keep up the great work
+1
or
+5000
time will tell

+1 for LV2 support please.

I bought Renoise because it has Linux support and I havenā€™t regretted it. Keep up the good work :)

Well, support for a decent native Linux plugin format for synths and effects (ie, probably LV2) would be great. Like lowkey, Linux support was one of the most important reasons for me to buy Renoise :slight_smile:

This topic is pretty old. Is anything planned about this yet? Developers?

ā€¦Edit: And I would put some effort into developing LV2s if Renoise would support it. Iā€™m creating a synth (VSTi) and did some LADSPA plugins before, but Iā€™m not really satisfied with native Linux VSTs nor with LADSPA for various reasonsā€¦

I would also love to see LV2 support. I just got my midi keyboard this week, and it works swell with Renoise under Linux. Being able to keep my instrument setup in a renoise project file would put me lightyears ahead of saving a bunch of jack configs and all the configs for various components.

I plan on buying Renoise this weekend :)

LV2 support would be the best I think, but I remember one of the developers stating that they donā€™t like the way it is implemented and that they would rather have a look at DSSI.

fladd

Lv2 seem to require a lot of depencies that you manually all have to install or even compile yourself, with so many different Linux distributions out there, no official support warranty can be given that these plugins will then work on every distribution or work without a lot of hassle. Thatā€™s why Taktik doesnā€™t like the LV2 plugins.
Renoise works pretty much out-of-the-box, so should every possible option that Renoise should support.

DSSI is being experimented with, but so far no real news on at which stage of development this idea currently is and if it will be used at all.

I donā€™t see too many dependencies here (the libslv2 package has 4 other libs as dependencies, not that bad). That is on Ubuntu here. I reckon it is similar on Debian.
Anyway, LV2 will very probable be the future for plugins on Linux, so on the long run, this will replace VST on that platform.

fladd

Hi there people.

Iā€™m one of the current developers of ZynAddSubFX, and I spent some time lately looking at implementing an official cross-platform support for VST. Trying to get the official vst sdk from steinbergā€™s homepage proved impossible (tried making an account twice, but they wouldnā€™t let me log in), and I got a bit turned off on VST. And should I eventually actually get my hands on the SDK, I would still have to jump legal hoops in order to include that work in the GPLā€™ed ZynAddSubFX.
So I looked for alternatives to getting ZynAddSubFX into Renoise as a plugin, eventually discovering that DSSI is needed for taking incoming note events. LADSPA does not do this, so it cannot be used for a synth plugin. And then I read here that the Renoise devs are keen on neither DSSI nor LV2, which is very sad in my opinion.

I really want to make ZynAddSubFX work out-of-the-box with Renoise on Linux, but with the current VST/LADSPA-only strategy I donā€™t see this happening very soon :(

Consider this my +1 for Lv2 or DSSI support.

1 Like

I think the Renoise developers are looking into DSSI.

Great to see that a ZynAddSubFx developer is actually aiming at having it run in Renoise. Very appreciated!

fladd

1 Like

It would be nice to see LV2 support in Renoise.

I tested the 2.6 Demo Version of Renoise and it recognizes my DSSI.
The linuxDSP Plugins come as LV2 and native Linux VST, but not as DSSI.
The new Calf Plugins come as LV2 and DSSI Plugins, but not as native Linux VST.

Iā€™m not a programmer but I think if possible LV2 should be supported, too, yust to make it complete.

greez, Sascha

+1 - LV2 is the successor of LADSPA and in the small world of (usable) Linux plugins a promising step forward.

Hi,

Iā€™m the developer of NASPRO (http://naspro.atheme.org) and stumbled on this thread about LV2 while looking for other stuff.

I just want to inform you that:

1. with LV2 you get LADSPA and DSSI support automagically through NASPRO bridges (GUI-less at the moment, though);
  2. native VST 2 and probably VST 3 bridges are in my plans for this or next year, non-native bridges (e.g., through WINE) will follow;
  3. SLV2 dropped librdf as a dependency and might drop GLib as wellā€¦ the intention is to port everything to Windows and Android relatively soon;
  4. there is lots of LV2-related activity in these days, LV2r4 is going to be released soon, so is the next SLV2, etc.

HTH

Yes, LV2 support in Linux Renoise would be great. Then all Linux plugin formats are supported, making Renoise extremely complete on Linux!

+666 for support LV2.

With all respect to taktik and his preferences - we need this ASAP :w00t:

Cheers!

Woot, SLV2 is being replaced by Lilv, a new library for using LV2 plugins in applications with a less strict license (it doesnā€™t support loading GUIs yet). Could Renoise leverage its functionality for running LV2 plugins? Iā€™d certainly want this feature too.

LV2 support would be fantastic - any plans underway?

bump

Let me add something useful to the topic.

Iā€™m working on a JUCE LV2 Wrapper, so that JUCE plugins can be compiled as LV2 (nothing to do with hosting them though).
This means all available JUCE VSTs will soon be able to be recompiled as LV2!

Link to the original JUCE thread:
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7494

good sir, i applaud your noble efforts.